Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cleaning up a '40 Ford dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Aug 2, 2021.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You may be familiar with my phantom '40 convert, built by Don Dillard of Highway 99 Hot Rods a few years ago, and shown in my avatar.

If I had been building the car from a parts bin, I would probably have used a '41 dash, which I think is simple and elegant. But the car that I bought still had its '40 dash in it, which is deservedly a very popular design, so I thought I'd just clean it up a bit.

Here's a stock '40 Deluxe dash. Too bad about the color on the heater:
    EDEmaTsXUAYLLvN.png
    ...and here's a '40 Standard dash.
    1940-Ford-Two-Door-Standard-Sedan-Restored-Exterior-16.jpg
    The differences are these:
    Deluxe is painted 2-tone, Standard is solid color.
    Instrument clusters are totally different. I think the Standard cluster is richer looking.
    Major chrome lines on the radio grille are extended all the way across the Deluxe dash.
    Deluxe steering wheel is 2-tone, and uses a different horn button.

And here's the dash in my car, which uses elements of both Standard and Deluxe:
    DashR.JPG
    You can see that we used the full-width Deluxe chrome trim, but deleted several details that are present on the stock Deluxe dash: radio, 2 ashtrays, clock, and glovebox button/lock. We painted it in the same 2-tone layout used on the Deluxe, but used 2 metallic grey shades similar to colors I'd seen on a '50 Olds.

To accommodate a new AM-FM radio, Don built a nice generic sheet-metal housing that fits below the dash, leaving the top of the dash uncluttered.

The instrument cluster was made by a guy here on the HAMB (sorry, I've lost his name): it's a Standard cluster, which has a glass face and a nice chrome trim surround. The speedo is replaced by one from a '60s Plymouth; the speedo graphics suit the whole dash better than Ford's original design:
    Speedo-dashL.jpg

Some additional details: I really like the mechanical look of the '40 steering column and shift linkage, so we retained all of those, but chrome plated everything. I chose SoCal Speed Shop's replica '49 Ford dash knobs, which are just simple chrome spheres. Don found a stainless ball in the McMaster-Carr hardware catalog to use for a matching-but-larger shift knob.

None of these tweaks were really necessary, and in some cases were extravagant, but I thought that the handsome Ford dash would benefit from some simplification. I'm pleased with the way it all turned out, and all credit is due to Don Dillard and his guys for pulling it all together.

302GMC, NealinCA, HEMI32 and 21 others like this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a fine looking dash

50Fraud and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. When someone says "custom" this is what I would like it to be, subtle, clean, and not screaming at you. Very nice and will be in style forever.

50Fraud, i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. OK, I'll bite... How do you access the glove box with no button? I've got a '50 Merc dash I'm going to rework for my avatar and doing something cleaner with that button is the last detail I haven't figured out.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Fingertips get enough purchase on the edge of the door to pull it open. A magnet keeps it closed.
    Of course I gave up the ability to lock the glove, but that doesn't particularly worry me.

The 39 guy and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. I used one of these on my 54. Spring loaded and magnetic.

[​IMG]

chevyfordman and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic! Thanks for all of us threw it :)

50Fraud likes this.
  8. That looks simple yet tasteful, well done. HRP

50Fraud likes this.
  9. Have you had any issues with it opening on bumps? I ask because I have to travel some rather rough roads (starting with the private road I live on), and I'm planning on extending the chrome 'face' fully across the dash using a chunk cut out of another dash. It's heavy die-cast so the door won't be particularly light, and my GF won't be happy if it smacks her bad knee... LOL.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It took a little tuning to get the magnetic grip just right, but it wasn't terribly difficult.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Timeless look by keeping it simple,it’s all about the details.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

The dash cluster is by mj40's. I followed his tech week post and did the same.

Budget36, X38 and Tman like this.
  13. "Too bad about the color on the heater:" That's the correct color for a stock '40 heater... just sayin'.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks! I'm embarrassed that I lost his name; he deserves acknowledgment for a really nice upgrade.

...And thanks for straightening me out. The grey heater looks awful with the maroon/cream dash in the picture; I hope the colors look better together in real life.

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

As with every thing that you put your touch on it is simply beautiful.

50Fraud likes this.
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thank you very much!

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Very nice. Well done.

50Fraud likes this.
  18. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

'40 dashes are hard to improve upon, and the changes on 50Fraud's work so well because they're subtle. On mine, I had the radio, ash tray and antenna holes filled and also the column shift and dash knob recesses filled. The speaker grill is hinged to hide the radio (this was done before a kit became available). It's painted the Standard Briarwood Brown, but uses Deluxe trim and glove box door. The "V" at the bottom of the windshield divider is from a '40 Pick Up and covers where the wiper knob was. A picture of the dash on my Sedan is thrown in for comparison. IMG_7555.jpg IMG_7556.jpg IMG_7558.jpg

19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

As usual! Your subtle changes make a big difference in the overall theme of your projects. So many people will have no idea that you changed anything on this dash.....
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and 50Fraud like this.
  20. Excellent piece as usual from 50 Fraud.
    I am using a 40 dash in my project and turning a standard into a deluxe. And here's the rub: while you can buy repro speaker grilles and chrome strips, they do not fit RHD. The RHD dash is a mirror opposite, so the long legs on the speaker grille protrude the other side. In other words, I can't cheap out and buy a new chrome grille, I have to re chrome my original one and yes, it does have some pitting. EEK! $$$. And, the repro chrome strips will kinda fit (I'll make them) all because the space to the side of the instrument cluster above and below the ash tray is different from the glove box side (who woulda thunk?) ...and the repros are obviously made LHD. Ugh. But I can make it work. I think.

kidcampbell71 and The 39 guy like this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

X38: I can relate to the radio speaker grille problem somewhat. I narrowed my dash about 3" through the middle and wanted to keep the grille because I think a '40 dash needs one to look right. Tried cutting and welding the old one and just ended up with a puddle on the floor. I have included pictures from an old issue of American Rodder on how Dave Lane did one for George Poteet. I took an easier route. I took a '41 speaker grille and hacked off one end, cleaned it up a bit with a file, and drilled 4 holes to mount it with oval head screws. Good enough for me. Incidentally, I do have another '41 speaker grille that I haven't butchered and it measures 9" wide if this would work for your situation. Scan-210803-0001.jpg IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

22. They look just fine in my '40... ;)

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm glad to hear that. I think the picture I posted looks pretty unattractive.

24. @X38 , over here we might hear someone say, "just turn the speaker grill around".

Good luck with your update.

25. If only it were that simple, but it doesn't work that way.

pprather likes this.