Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick 215 Mild Warm Over Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RyanAK, Oct 2, 2020.

1. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

there are a couple of guys that hang out on the v8buick site that would know the answer. mine is the buick 350.

loudbang likes this.
  2. RyanAK

RyanAK

From my research, it’s technically possible, but cost prohibitive to bore out and re-sleeve. Also wall thickness gets a bit touchy with the aluminum block. If 300+ c.i. Is desired, most will go to a larger bore Rover block, or take the 80lb weight penalty and start with a 300 with ‘64 aluminum heads.

I’m interested specifically in building up the 215 to something quick in this Cutlass. IF I had something other than the Roto 5 in the car, or if I was considering swapping to a manual transmission, I’d be strongly considering a 300. Maybe in the next Cutlass or Skylark…

loudbang likes this.
  3. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

when you done with this project..lol...buy a couple more engines and build a replica
    twin 215 dragster. somebody had one back then.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 5window

5window

loudbang likes this.
  5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rather then going to all the tooling costs, find a 4.6 block, install a 300 crank and 215 rods and with a 0.020 overbore, you will have 295 cu. in. Also, a set of 1964 300 aluminum heads and you've got a real potent engine. I have two of them and love them.
    Warren

loudbang likes this.
  6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Sounds like a fun project, but I agree with the Rover block. Sometimes, 50 plus year old Aluminum blocks are corroded away inside.

loudbang likes this.
  7. RyanAK

RyanAK

Someday we’ll start with a Rover block. Someday we’ll stuff a 300 in a ‘senior compact’ with a 4-speed. Someday we’ll build an Olds version. But after we mildly hot rod the 215 in our Cutlass, well most likely move on to a traditional pre-war build or a late ‘30s Tudor for a family truckster. Spencer is really hot to build a car up from a chassis and I want to support his interest.

So… cam, get these heads worked a bit, decide on intake/carb, maybe upgrade spark… and go. The stroked, bored, high compression, bigger displacement motor can wait a bit.

loudbang likes this.
  8. RyanAK

RyanAK

loudbang likes this.
  9. 5window

5window

Spencer's going to have to decide if he's a man of the 20th or 21st century. Old school 215 or electric boosted turbo?

10. RyanAK

RyanAK

“We like old things, right Dad? Our next car is going to be really old.”

He’s an old soul like us. :cool:

5window and loudbang like this.
  11. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

12. RyanAK

RyanAK

We’re ‘vacationing’ in New London, CT. Car cruise last night. He’s an Oldsmobile man!

3AD8C7C9-FD65-4A68-9D78-CC87C55BD65A.jpeg

Not much in the way of traditional hot rods. Spence can’t understand the late model factory muscle cars. Neither can I…

loudbang likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

Spencer is so much cooler than the rest of us!

loudbang likes this.