Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Under dash mounted cigar lighters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 1, 2021.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Now that I got a phone and get music off of it I am going to need power to keep it charged while driving my 37 Chevy p/u,there is no provision for a lighter so was a under dash mounted lighter even made. I want something that looks like it belongs there instead of a modern version but could mount a modern version in the glove box if all fails to find a period correct version.

Deuces likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pick a spot by the choke/throttle/light switch knobs & drill a hole for it. Make it look like it grew there.

Deuces, scotty t and Cosmo49 like this.
  3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I mounted one on the Model A such that I drilled the mounting hole towards the passenger side on the bottom of the former gas tank. On the pickup, I did similar but the dash bottom was too narrow so I mounted a small piece of aluminum to accommodate the cigar lighter receptacle. In both cases they are not visible from the dash by choice. Other than that what 302GMC makes good sense.

You can find some nice receptacles in flea markets for a buck or two. Knobs easy to swap off with something that will match what you have.

Deuces likes this.
  4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Mount one vertical, under dash, simple piece of aluminum drilled/screwed.. Done

Deuces, Rramjet1, RMR&C and 4 others like this.

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Dash mounted in my 34 Ford...Went in the same spot as the original one was.. Build picture 9.jpg

Deuces, 302GMC and catdad49 like this.
  6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

E66821E1-0DE9-4EBC-8ABF-9F164FAF445B.jpeg With all the new electronic stuff I needed a place to plug in my GPS and periodically charge my phone. I added this panel under the dash and used all matching factory style knobs. The panel is for the manual choke, power port , and electric fuel pump. The knob to the right is the original vent control knob.

Deuces, safetythird, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  7. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I hid mine under the dash. I'm the only one that knows where it is. Which is just fine by me.

Deuces, Callmaker and ekimneirbo like this.
  8. I used one of these under the dash in the wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

rockable, dana barlow, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  9. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

Mount it completely hidden. Take a small piece of aluminum say 1.5" wide by 2" long and about 3/32 to 1/8" thick mount that to the lip at the bottom of the dash so it sticks straight back towards the Firewall then have the lighter socket mount in that. You reach up under the dash and plug your charger in vertically.

I have a on Board Air system in my Willys Jeep and have an Air Chuck mounted this way. Can't be seen at all unless your standing almost on your head under the dash.

Deuces, Callmaker and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

s-l1600.jpg 55 Buick had one in a nice chrome under dash mount bracket.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    blowby, Deuces, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone use these things for smoking anymore?

Deuces, loudbang and 302GMC like this.
  12. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Hopefully all the smoke stays inside the wires!

Deuces, scotty t, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  13. DSCN1903.JPG I needed to add a bouquet of switches for fogs, passing light, accessories, etc., so I searched the 'net and scored this under-dash "pod" that included a lighter socket.
    Usually, though I delete lighters to send the message that "Nobody Smokes In My Car". :rolleyes:

14. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Where did you find that Danny ? TKS

Deuces likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-1_10-32-25.png
    Charging is via a wall charger and it does not take that long to fully charge. YRMV as usage depends on how long.

Hey JJ,

Why mess with your electrical system. In the old days, a wire or two was necessary to get a connection for external electrical players of some kind. These days, there are portable battery packs that stay charged for quite some time, and can charge any Android or Apple Phone or Tablet with ease. No additional hole or mount necessary on the dash.
    upload_2021-8-1_10-33-56.png
    If you think about usage and convenience, the hot rod or family sedan is a use that stays with the vehicle. When there is a need for extra power, if you were to have any household plugs handy, then that allows power to the phones or tablets. But, if you are somewhere and need a charge for the phone or tablet, then these portable battery packs are very handy and useful. You just have to remember to charge it once used up and need extra power.

We purchased plenty of portable battery charger storage units. When we were taking our granddaughter all over So Cal and used plenty of phones, tablets, and devices, we needed a portable source of extra power. Yes, we did have charger plugs in the car. (the old cigarette lighter hole)

But, the units for our phones, Android and Iphones were not as fast in recharging phones or tablets as the portable battery packs. (Perhaps, on a cross country drive from the West Coast to the East Coast, a plug in charger might be handy, no interruptions on the long cruise)

upload_2021-8-1_10-34-34.png
    Over time, we got longer cords so the battery pack did not have to sit next to the person. It could be anywhere and the longer cord was useful to any part of the front seats or back seating positions. When our granddaughter needed extra power, it was available.

Jnaki

We gave our teenage granddaughter a smaller, but just as powerful tubular version of an external battery pack for her purse and carry on bag during her vacation/ballet program on the East Coast. It was handy on the plane and during the vacation stay. It was always in her purse or a carry on bag. So, no worries about running out of a charge when needed.

Common sense tells us that a portable battery pack charger that can be used anywhere versus one that is stationary in a hot rod or vehicle has limitations that one does not want to acknowledge. So, it is up to you, but check these out on Amazon.

There are small flat units that are twice as powerful as our old style units from years ago. So, the choice is yours. They are not too expensive, fit in purses, jacket pockets and if you are not wearing tight jeans, pants pockets. Some are heavier than others. You just have to read the descriptions and make a choice.

Sample:

Portable Charger 30,000mAh-Minrise Power Bank Solar Charger Solar Power Bank with 2 USB Outputs, External Battery Pack for Outdoor Activities Compatible with Smartphones etc.

upload_2021-8-1_10-36-4.png
    There are even solar powered units. The more powerful the charger is, the longer you can continue to charge phones.

Currently, we still have our old units (10k, 9 k and a small 7k units) and they still work when we need them. But, just to be on the safe side, after the pandemic is over and we are free to roam around on our coastal vacations, again, we may opt to get additional upgraded units for our travels.

Our active teenage granddaughter is using her Iphone for all sorts of activities and has her supply of portable units we gave her. So, there is a back up to a back up. She still uses her home Iphone charger when at home. But, for the amount of activity done on her phone, like making movies from stop action to full teenage plays and even orchestrated action like a YA book her phone needs more power, a portable one.

The battery packs are there for a purpose. We think it is a new way for our teenage granddaughter to continue with her activities using only battery power. No one walks around with an Iphone on a long wall plug and cord… Ha!

fauj likes this.
  16. You can still buy an under dash cigarette lighter. Just google it.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

While at the family reunion looked on that auction site and found some originals but way too much money so time to hit the loval old junkyard and look at some rear seat lighters to see if I can make one work. I have the radio in the glove box and could mount a modern version in there but would like a period correcr looking one under the dash.

Deuces likes this.
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I used to install dual lighters in cars & trucks - one on each side ...

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I had a slightly OT lincoln for a little while...it came with something like 5 cigarette lighters.

Period correct would really be to crudely cut a hole in the dash for it.

20. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

powerpac.jpg My oldest daughter got me this for Christmas last year. Really versatile for me, because I use it in my heap and the scooter. I have a flexible LED light stick that can be plugged into one of the USB ports. Comes in handy for a work light.
    litestick.jpg

Deuces and jnaki like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Personally, I always hated the look of cigarette lighters, especially empty ones. I'd get a late model with two connectors and mount it hidden under the dash and pointing downward. Also remember that some of those plug ins have lights on them for when they are plugged in, and if you leave a wire connected when parked it can discharge your battery over time.

22. I have a hidden power port under the dash that I never use.
    I can play tunes from my phone to my Bluetooth headphones for 400 miles (8 hours) and have plenty of battery left at the end of the day to catch up on HAMB posts. Charge overnight and hit the road in the morning.

Deuces and Dino 64 like this.
  23. 20210801_163712.jpg 20210801_163708.jpg 20210801_163715.jpg Jeff, I've got this, probably never gonna use it. @junkyardjeff Shoot me a PM, Mitch. 20210801_163715.jpg

24. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That^^^^^is Koooool!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. williebill

williebill

What's that out of, Mitch?

26. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You beat me to it! Any time you add an old Buick part you add class!:D

Deuces and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I don’t smoke , but I’d have to have this installed if I owned it . It’s bad ass American stuff upload_2021-8-1_19-45-2.jpeg

Deuces and OFT like this.
  28. I got it YEARS ago in a box of stuff from somewhere. It had a brown finish on it that was tough to get off. Was going to use it in my 36 truck but stuck one in the glove box instead, outta sight outta mind ! Mitch

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That is just what I am looking for.

Deuces likes this.
  30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I hide a power port under the edge of the dash on every car I build.

Deuces and AHotRod like this.