Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds Scheifer clutch inquiry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Aug 1, 2021.

1. years ago I picked up a bunch of Olds equipment that had been used on a race engine. The only thing I have left is this older clutch set up. At first glance I considered it wall art as it had been through some rough times. Thought I would throw this out here to see if there is anything that could be done to rebuild this and if so would is it really worth it. Seems doubtful to me. Take a look...
    scheifer1.jpg scheifer2.jpg scheiferpp.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. To bad who ever tried to balance this thing didn’t have a clue !!

it can be aluminum welded and dressed smooth and rebalanced correctly.

but what is it worth repaired ?

I think the cost to repair this correctly , unless you can weld it yourself and just get it balanced , would out weigh what you could sell it for.

3. It looks like the only real problem is some corrosion on the clutch face surfaces where the disk was left in place. I would think that a skim cut on the flywheel surface would fix it up. It may not be worth doing on the pressure plate. The flywheel does have some interesting balancing work on the backside. It looks like someone was chasing a problem and kept drilling on opposite sides.

loudbang likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Or they may have just been taking a little more weight out. Seen that a bunch of times.

loudbang likes this.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I wouldn't trust that flywheel any further than I could throw it. The clutch could be rebuilt easily by any rebuilder.

Paul likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Flywheel would make nice end table or night stand,
    or just save the ring gear for a more worthy flywheel.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Remember,,,that flywheel is a casting,,,,be careful .

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  8. Further searches indicate a history of issues with these from fellas that have had experience using them. Appears there were many delamination problems due to heat from abusive use. Not much value in these today. Destined to become garage art for sure.