Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Exhaust choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yugioh, Jul 31, 2021.

1. yugioh

yugioh
    from rutledge

Hello all!
    I have been aware of Hamb for many years, but this is first introduction…
    1954 Chevy 3600 pick
    Original 235 rebuilt, Clifford intake with two barrel carb, and now it’s time for exhaust…
    I am looking for input for brand of mufflers, and if I should run one or two…

thanks!

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

None.
    Dual straight pipes, no mufflers.
    Bwwwapppp! Bwwwapppp!
    Welcome to the HAMB.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Duals, nor doubt! 18" Brockman Mellowtones, placed as far forward as you can.

4. topher5150

topher5150

that's why they call them neighbor haters

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Single. Turbo muffler. As far back as possible.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Repop headers with 26'' Porters ... straight pipes sound cheap.

51 mercules likes this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my porter is damn loud . 12" , split exhaust (behind muffler) , out in front of rear tires

8. Reidy

Reidy

So far we have had no muffler, twin muffler as far forward as possible or single muffler as far back as possible.
    All might be good suggestions but it would be hand to know the advantage of each.
    That was the original poster and others like myself can make an educated decision. If one improves power and the other is for drowning out large jet aircraft taking off, I know which I would choose.

Steve from down under.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of turbo style mufflers on sixes as it makes them sound like a late model six cylinder.
    My high school buddy Ray Rojas had the best sounding pipes I ever heard on a six on his 51 Chevy hardtop. I live two miles out of town (still live on the same farm) and could hear him go past the house and know it was him without listening when he and his gal went out to their favorite parking spot.
    There is a serous difference between loud and sounds great. All loud cars don't sound great and all great sounding cars aren't always loud.

302GMC likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-1_4-11-33.png

Hello,

This old Ford truck had a nice set up of exhaust pipes. Not sure it was a v8 or stock motor. But, the look was pretty good. Having experienced a straight 6 sound with a wide variety of mufflers, the longest you can get will be the most enjoyable for all concerned in the cab. From our experience in an old Chevy sedan, the muffler/exhaust pipes need to go all the way out beyond the rear end or bumper.
    upload_2021-8-1_4-12-10.png

My friend’s 1953 Chevy Bel Air sedan had a 6 cylinder motor with the stock mufflers that were nice and quiet on acceleration. But, listening to our bigger v8 motor/exhaust sounds, he wanted to have it sound like more power. So, he added some tubular mufflers from the Bixby Knolls muffler shop on Cherry Avenue.

The sound was nice at first, but then the constant droning while cruising around made it impossible to carry on teenage conversations. On acceleration, it sounded like an angry giant Bee. Hence the name “Bee Buzzers” in this day and age, for those low sedans from the fast and not so furious scenes.

We took that 1953 Chevy sedan to the beach, mountains and all over So Cal. But the constant droning sound from those mufflers and the wide arrangement of exhaust tips made it difficult to drive and be sociable. At first it was short exhaust tips at the end of the muffler. That was tremendously high pitched noise inside the car at all times. Plus, the smell of exhaust was not nice. Then it was over the rear and out behind the wheel like some racers. But, again, the noise and smell was still prevalent.

Jnaki

Then final exhaust tips under the rear bumper and new longer mufflers made the sound mellow. It was not trying to overcome loud muffler noises and sounding cheap. The Chevy Bel Air was now made for quiet cruising. He realized that a 6 is not going to win drag races against other v8 powered sedans.

So, his Chevy sedan was the most modified as a custom of all of our teenage cars. Full tuck and roll upholstery, chrome reversed wheels, chrome tip quiet exhaust pipes, chrome accessories, and a nice custom green paint. It was lowered as in a mild rake stance, but with teenagers inside, it was almost ground scraping and ticket illegal with a full car.

It is up to you as to your choice of mufflers or a truck that tries to be noticed with loud sounds coming from your motor and exhaust. Plus, if it is your daily driver, despite what others have suggested, it will be your choice for a quiet comfortable ride wherever you decide to drive. Loud noises from small or modified exhausts is not “daily driving friendly” for you or your family. YRMV

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Just run a single exhaust with a stock muffler. 6 cyl's don't sound right with performance exhaust systems..
    However they sound real nice with the stock exhaust.. The engine mechanicals have a real nice sound to them but you can't hear them with a loud noisy exhaust. I always liked the sound of a straight six with three on the tree..

gimpyshotrods likes this.