Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Hurst mount with TH350 trans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Smart62, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Hi, would appreciate any comments on this issue - Just fitted an SBC 327 with TH350 in my 40 Ford using a Hurst cradle. Has anyone used side mounts on the trans instead of the end fixing? Is it necessary? Where do the side mounts go? Any pictures? Cheers Smart

2. Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Use the saddle mounts and trans mount along with the side mounts at the bellhousing. All three keeps things stabile. Just the saddle and trans alone puts a lot of stress on the bellhousing as does just the saddle mounts and only side mounts.

Tman likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

the Danchuck kit for mid mounts in a tri-5 chevy might work....

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The last project I did used a 350 with Hurst cradle, T-400 with trans. tail housing mount and some slightly modified Danchuk mid mounts. Got to have some type of mid support because of the long span between the front of the engine and the tail housing mount.

Blues4U, -Brent- and Atwater Mike like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

The preferred solution is to use a manual transmission and a bellhousing with mounting ears, with the Hurst mount, or use side motor mounts with an automatic.

The danchuck mid mounts are a weird kind of crutch...although you can make it work.

Blues4U and olscrounger like this.
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not much easier than making flat plate bellhousing mounts for this installation. Simply use the two bolts above and below the bellhousing alignment pins. Take cardboard and cut it to fit, and punch two holes to fit the bolts. Trace on flat plate and make the plate long enough to butt to the frame, or lay on top of the frame with a 90 degree transition. You'll have a very solid setup and not break any transmissions, or have the engine rocking on acceleration.
    Or just buy these and use them as is, or slightly modified.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...o7lgk_ZjEHWaOzNmZ-gm59xyBIYIIGSAaAnyeEALw_wcB

alanp561, Algoma56 and Blues4U like this.
  8. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks everyone, appreciate your replies!

9. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Hi Thanks for your thorough reply. Sounds great. Would you rest the side mounts directly on the steel frame or use rubber mounts? I guess that metal to metal might vibrate?

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rubber mounts, definitely.

I remember like it was yesterday...10 or so 350 T.H. trannys laying in the wrecking yard (San Jose, CA) with their bells broken off. (most were from T-boned fullsize Chevs)
    Then an article in HRM regarding the 'spread' between Hurst front mount and rear trans mount. Hmmmm... Been side-mount helping them ever since.

-Brent- likes this.
  11. I would add rubber even tho many are bolted solid.

12. Are these additional mounts needed when using a T5 trans or even a Muncie or Saginaw 4 speed vs the TH350? Using the same forward Hurst cradle mount and standard tail shaft mount. Is it the weight of the automatic?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  13. ANY aluminum bellhousing/tranny needs the additional support. It is a long span between the Hurst mount and the tailshaft

gimpyshotrods, Blues4U and X38 like this.
  14. Most manual trans also need the rest mount. Some of the old cast iron case 3 speed didn't, but in general it is good to use a rear transmission mount.
    The problem with the front engine mount with no mid/rear mount on engine, along with rear transmission mount is the large force trying to bend at the bellhousing to engine location.

30tudor likes this.
  15. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I agree with the removal of the mid mount when using just a front and rear transmission will put a lot of stress on a bellhousing that it wasn't designed for. My '57 Chevy truck has front mount and the mid-mount using a stock style bellhousing and crossmember. The transmission is an original 3 speed with cast iron housing and no tail support as it came from the factory. I have seen T5 installations done using similar to mine but have had thoughts if a rear mount is needed as well as the case is aluminum.

Junior Stock likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been a while but I have seen a couple of Chevy transmissions with broken bellhousings that used the front mounts and rear transmission mount. Both were 55/57 Chevys that had had later engines and Turbo 350's put in them using the original front mounts though. One was taken into a friend's transmission shop in Waco for a front seal leak and when he pulled it the bellhousing was broken. The other one was sitting at a buddy's place where he had taken it in trade for a good one. He took a burned up trans I had and made a good one out of the two.

It pretty well isn't if you will damage the bellhousing or front seal but when.

Blues4U likes this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why not just side mount the engine instead?

Blues4U, Budget36 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could not talk an acquaintance of mine into putting a crossmember under his unsupported T5.

It took exactly one hard launch to break the case. When he shifted into second, it let go, and he's still working on fixing all of the damage, and it has been over a year.

Algoma56 likes this.
  19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a case of not taking a friends advice...

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd always use a poly or rubber mount for the bellhousing mount, and trans rear mount. engine can be solid mounts if you don't mind vibration, the the rest should have some cushion.

21. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

099FCA73-76B1-43CC-A98E-489BBBC419AB.jpeg 626D3639-5D07-426E-9234-04499D0E795D.jpeg Contrary to these comments, I am trying a sbc, cast iron bell (58 Chevy), and a super t10, with no mid mount! Grade eight bolts all around! Should have about 350 horses and a 3:42 first gear, and what ever gear I decide to put in the quick change! I have no idea what the car will weigh! Wish me luck!! Just checked, it’s a 44 inch spread front to trans mount!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  22. It's not the bolts.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I predict this combo will work (and live) just fine.
    Long live three pedal hot rods!

Splitbudaba and egads like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like a 58 or newer car bellhousing? it doesn't have the side mount tabs that the truck bellhousing had through 1972.

The front mounting ears on the aluminum case transmissions usually break off when folks try to force them in with the bolts, don't they? and not from having a front engine mount? Just curious.

Just stay on smooth roads, you'll be fine.

427 sleeper and Splitbudaba like this.
  25. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Agreed but can’t hurt!!!

26. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

That’s why I plan to assemble the engine/bell housing/ trans on the hoist/ table and slide it in!!

27. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Correct, it’s a 1958 bell housing, forgot I traded the 57’ bell for it! Got better header clearance with this one!!

28. I used the Hurst front mount to put my 327 in the Car with the
    Powerglide Tran & used the Tranny rear mount to the Car
    I put this engine in the Car in 1978 & to this Day the only thing
    I did is to change the Rear mount. with a New one.
    so I think its working out OK.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

egads, rust runner and Splitbudaba like this.
  29. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

D16E4C91-18AC-488D-84B4-AC0185ABBB56.jpeg 681E98F6-02A3-45C0-B094-E3913E788616.jpeg
    Like your style, I think this setup will out last me!!!

egads likes this.