Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official [Ed] Winfield Speed Equipment Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. JB401

JB401

Interesting. I wonder if perhaps it was "re stamped" when it was resurfaced? The underside looks real clean as if it was resurfaced and then never run again.

Thanks for the pictures Binger.

Thanks for the photos! I am wondering if maybe the serial number was sanded down and then re stamped after its last resurfacing.

Outback, Carter and Binger like this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Interesting that my cast head had no stamping on it. Hard to say what the deal is with them. its my understanding that the cast iron head were made before 1949 or so. I cant confirm this fact. Mine ended up with some cracks and I had my buddy @winduptoy repair them. I am still planning on running it but havent got to putting it on my coupe yet.

3. brjnelson

brjnelson

I thought all original Winfield heads had flycuts above the pistons, the 2 reds and 1 yellow I had did.

4. jari12

jari12

Interesting to see that almost everything with Winfield parts is a Ford. I found a Dodge Brothers to work on that came with a Winfield Model M 201A on it. I assumed the car was a Doodlebug when I got it. The frame, brake linkage, and torque tube were shortened and it only had the the cowl and hood. But unlike most doodlebugs, it didn't have a second trans or a big truck rear diff. All drive train parts were stock except for the shortening. It makes me wonder if the car was modified for hill climbing or something instead of a doodlebug. Winfield carb, short wheelbase, rear axle mounted solid to frame. I've posted a pic from the Craigslist add from when I got it showing the Winfield in place - it fits well and looks good there. It was stuck when I got it but I have been able to free up the throttle and the choke. Haven't got all the needles free yet. Fun for me to have one on a Dodge Brothers Fast Four which doesn't seem to be very common.

Attached Files:

Outback, Lil'Alb, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  5. ghalperin

ghalperin

I just found this manifold. I’m gonna run a second SR B carb. Does anybody know anything about It?
    2A8944E2-A604-4CA4-94E8-4DD6F5D5FE72.jpeg 2927CA48-5039-45C0-8B88-3E905B3B2D3A.jpeg 0EED4043-BCF2-42D8-A0E2-26B0D505CB2A.jpeg C1DFAA64-7F81-41A6-B6CA-6A8A83143861.jpeg

Jet96 likes this.
  6. That looks like an intake made for the Riley two port. It will work on a flathead but the mounting holes might be a tight fit.

Outback likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

I have a similar manifold, and yes, it is for a Two Port, mine has Riley cast on it. Dan Iandola, RIP, had the patterns for a lot of Riley manifolds.
    As @62pan said the bolt spacing on an A/B is different.

8. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Just FYI, the port spacing on my original 2 Port is 9 7/16 and the bolt spacing is 2.975", yes, 2.975.

9. sschmid

sschmid

I am looking for the article Chris Eggsgart had with Winfield. can't find it, any clues? Also read your comments re Joe Gemsa- was glad to see that

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Picked up this Winfield Model M carb today at a barn sale, it’s missing the screws on the float bowl, haven’t opened it up to see if the float is there. It was in a pile of old carbs, the choke chamber was off luckily I thought that part looked familiar so I took it. Realized afterwards they went together. The farm had so homebuilt machinery and lathe, along with miscellaneous parts. Got this, the Stromberg 48, a couple reamers, other misc stuff in two vintage Kraft cheese boxes for $10. What were these typically used on, Model T’s? 9395C79E-A8C5-4227-8D55-FF11A8E7AE77.jpeg

Outback, Jet96, Dustyp489 and 3 others like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

TEN BUCKS ! Congratulations you really did well. Lets see the cheese boxes, cardboard or wood? Lube the barrel throttle real well in the Winfield, they were a great T item before the S & SR came out.

Carter likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

165T_2.jpg [​IMG]

That looks like a Two Port RILEY item to me.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Outback and Dustyp489 like this.
  13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@31Apickup you did great like Bob said. Trying to not be too jealous on that deal.

Carter and The37Kid like this.
  14. jari12

jari12

That was a great score! I have the same carb. on a Dodge Brothers Fast Four I found that had been shortened like a Doodlebug. I was excited to get mine. I've got my engine in shape and just about ready for a first start once my starter comes back from being rebuilt. I'll let you know how it works. There isn't a lot of literature out there about the model M. It was one of the early Winfield models. I do have digital copies and pictures of some documentation on the carbs. One is the set up procedure for fitting one on a Dodge six cylinder. I'd be happy to share if you're interested in them.

15. I'm just circling back on this as I see I never answered. The running of one step down in size on the throat bowl to help with stumbling issues was a technic recommended by Winfield himself and even has a published technical service bulletin in it. That is where I read it.

Outback and Carter like this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Jaril12, I’ll pm you my email address, I be interested in whatever digital documentation you have. Don’t have anything I can currently run this on, but am interested in how it works. The barrel valve is free, everything moves. The float bowl screws are missing haven’t opened it up to see if the float is there. The bowl like fitting on the bottom where the fuel line goes in has some cracks in it. The farm sale I got it from had some homemade equipment, several steering columns from 20’s era cars and several other carbs. The other carbs were Carters, 20-30’s.

17. jari12

jari12

Does anyone know of a source for parts for a Winfield Model M 201A? I need a replacement float for mine.

18. patsurf

patsurf

repairable by soldering?

19. ghalperin

ghalperin

I see them on eBay from time to time.

20. jari12

jari12

I tried soldering but there are way too many cracks and the weight of the solder is too much combined with the difficulty of getting them all to stay sealed as you move on to the next one.

21. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Many of the Model M pot metal bodies have broken apart or over the years, leaving behind their brass components. You should be able to scrounge up a float without too much struggle, and keep in mind that all Model M’s use the same float regardless of barrel size (A, B, and C)

Carter and jari12 like this.
  22. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Swapping brass for drive ability is quite common, but fairly limited in actuality. The thread size in the float bowl increases with each letter increment. A and AA intermediate and high speed compensators are interchangeable, B and BB, etc... There are several different variations of compensators as well, some have slots and some a series of holes. Many of the same “size” compensators vary considerably if you measure the holes. If running duals, be sure to match the internal brass as closely as possible.

23. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1-1.jpg
    Looking to learn more about Winfield S66 manifolds and port and carb sizes. Most of the Model A manifolds I've seen so far have a throat sized to 1-5/8" fit a BB Winfield and the port sizes where the manifold meets the block are 1-3/8."

On the manifold pictured here the intake runners are visibly flared out more on the outside (the left side has been welded) than 1-3/8" runner manifolds do. Does this mean it has larger runner ID diameters where it mets the block and also takes a larger carb?

Would like to use one of these manifolds if one was made, and can be found with with 1-5/8" ID intake runners and a throat size of 1-3/4" to match a SR - S-1-C Winfield carb.

Has a chart or brochure survived which give this info?

24. I've never seen any paper work on the manifolds. Most common ones I seen were B or BB with one AA. They are usually stamped on the underside what size there for. Dual manifolds like for Cragars or Rileys usually are for CC or D size carbs. Never saw a dual manifold with Winfields name on it.

Carter likes this.
  25. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Doesn't mean they are not out there, but I've only seen those Winfield Manifolds for AA, B, BB carbs. There's not alot of meat there to modify . Probably better to modify another intake. Alot of OHV intakes were custom made with tube steel.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

David, I don't recall ever seeing a Winfield intake with core marks, mine hasn't been filed or polished. Intake still has the original machine marks and is 1 1/2 block side holes are 1 3/8

All my parts have a story, back in 1970 I bought two Winfields with the intakes for $15.00 each from a fellow that would become a lifelong friend. He didn't show up for work on the first day of a job. Shop owner called to see what was the matter and he had something else going on and he recommended the shop owner to call me. I stayed there for 13 years, and worked on some turely World Class cars. Bob

DSCF2209.JPG DSCF2210.JPG DSCF2211.JPG DSCF2212.JPG DSCF2213.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    brjnelson and Carter like this.
  27. I have seen 1 Winfield single carb manifold that *claimed it was sized for a D for sale. It went for a lot of money.

Of the 4 or 5 Winfield branded manifolds I have owned I've had 3 or 4 b and 1 BB.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  28. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

This might be why many of the known manifolds were AA/B/BB...

93ED86C4-B054-432B-A007-79A5ED73C85B.jpeg

Attached Files:

G Baese and The37Kid like this.
  29. PackardV8

PackardV8

Back when Ed Iskenderian was still more active, he showed me Ed Winfield's original shop-made cam grinder. IIRC, Winfield made it from a centerless grinder table, fabricating the cam master holder, follower and rocker table.

Fifty years later, Isky was still in awe of Windfield's genius; that's why he thought it important to preserve that bit of hot rod history. "He was always years and miles ahead of the rest of us. What I know, I learned from him."

jack vines

Outback and The37Kid like this.
  30. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1-2.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the information and photos covering the S 66 manifolds.

The top manifold has a 1-5/8" throat for a "BB" Winfield and the port sizes where the manifold meets the block are 1-3/8."

When you compare the top manifold to the lower one which is also for a BB there is a visible difference were the OD size of the runners (the left has been welded) flare out more to were they meet the flanges. This is what lead me to the question if other versions were made for "C" and larger carbs.

The manifold below also required different molds and core boxes for casting than the top manifold. Perhaps this was a later change so the runner walls could be thicker where they meet the flanges for increased strength since quite a few of them have broken including one of these.

1-1.jpg

These S 66 manifolds will also bolt onto Model T Rajo BB or BBR (racing) OHV heads without much work because the T block and the Rago and Fronty heads have the same port centers as A and B blocks have. To use one on a Fronty SR racing head, new flanges need to be welded on to the Winfield manifold to adapt it to use the Fronty vertical stud pattern.

1-5.jpeg
    A Rajo BB head above with a S 66 and a BB carb.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Outback, Carter and The37Kid like this.