Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oilite - T5 to Flathead pilot bushing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jul 27, 2021.

1. oldsboy

oldsboy

I've done some digging this evening and I'm stumped. This doesn't happen often with the interwebs. I'm trying to track down an Oilite bushing with the .590 I.D. to fit the T5 input shaft with the Flathead 1.575" O.D. to be installed in the crank.

Anyone have ideas on a source for this or at least for an undersized I.D. bushing that could be turned to fit the application?

I'm currently running the bearing type and will be tearing into this setup to replace a bad throw out bearing due to noise. I figured now was the time to fix the pilot for a good stretch of time.

Any info would be appreciated...

loudbang and Big mike 1968 like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

You can buy Oilite round bar in a range of diameters, but it is quite expensive and you don't need all that diameter to be Oilite. Why not buy a stock .590"/15mm bore Oilite bush and press it into a piece of steel or Aluminum bar turned to the Flathead's 1.575 OD.

loudbang, Kato Kings and Bear40 like this.
  4. oldsboy

oldsboy

Gimpy got me squared away. He found an oversized bushing with the .590" I.D. so I'll have a buddy chuck it up in his lathe and turn it down to the right size.

Maybe this was a waste of a post but hopefully someone else can get some direction from this.

loudbang and Tman like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More information is always better than less information.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure what he made them out of but that Bushing in post 2 looks seriously close in design to the bushing I got from Dwight Bond with my adapter.
    [​IMG]

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've no idea why I remember this, or whether it is an issue but I've read Oilite is somewhat difficult to machine, supposedly it tends to "smear" over the pores, the idea behind Oilite is that it is impregnated with oil during manufacture.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He won't be machining the surface that touches a separate moving part, just the surface where it presses in, and possibly the face. The center hole will remain untouched.

Truck64 and loudbang like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is spendy. The shortest length that I can find that would fit the bill is 3-inches, and it would be $60.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

In my experience, Oilite machines quite nicely with a sharp HSS tool, not so well with carbide inserts which are usually moulded. It would probably machine OK with the ground "finish machining" carbide inserts, but I've never tried them on Oilite.

loudbang likes this.