Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes it’s still Possible.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got pass/rear floor pan burned in. Need to do a little more clean up and get it ready for paint and coating. Like to have never gotten it clean enough to weld. There was some /what I thought was silver paint under the first patching between the original parent metal. Text and asked the original owner. He used silver seal as in roof sealer for Mobile homes and campers. Two things to say. Number one it doesn’t come off easy. Number two what ever it coats doesn’t rust. Makes you wonder if we are not over thinking this floor /under costing question sometimes. I know a situation where it was used to seal a boat as a kid. That boat still exist. It was put in in 78. Note to self

Attached Files:

2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I did a receiver lip /flange.I turned the welder up and let it burn in. I drilled holes into bottom brace and welded into it like the factory. Think mine are a little bigger but I didn’t want it breaking loose.
    I am really wondering about that silver seal stuff. Lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    1Nimrod, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

A quick check. It’s made of asphalt and aluminum.wow that explains it.

1Nimrod, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Last pan in. I haven’t ground down/cleaned up the welds. It’s 1:45 this morning. Going to shower and sleep.
    I have the side panels next to the seat and a small section behind the rear seat mounts. I am swapping back over to the Willy’s /and Prefect tomorrow. Hoping to get short block and heads ready.

Attached Files:

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Passenger rocker is in. Seat side panels are next.

Attached Files:

6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Beside the seat replacement panels came in this morning. They beat rust, but I’ve seen better fitting panels. I am only going to use half of them but wow..
    My window felt still isn’t in.gonna call in AM

Attached Files:

7. Squablow

Squablow

I ended up making pieces to fix the seat bracket areas on my '57, luckily they weren't completely gone yet. Those aftermarket panels are a starting point but not very accurate. Rockers look good though.

8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

The part closest to the door and the rocker trench are the only things I need. The top and tunnel will get cut off-I’ll use these as a patch butt welded. I had gotten spoiled with the floor pans. They were literally drop in measure surface prep and weld.
    No big deal if it was a track/race car only as I usually do all that would be history anyway. Lol

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Oh yea look what Wes brought to me yesterday. Yep it’s gonna get used. It’s got sensor bung/ nd I can get the bolt in filler neck. I’ll do a half submerged half above mounting door and lip. Plus I hate the spare tire sump.

Attached Files:

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Passenger side seat to door floor panel is in. Sorry about the photos. It’s dark outside and I also need to clean up Grind the welds some more. I put a quick coat of epoxy primer on it to protect from moisture. Suppose to get rain this weekend.

Attached Files:

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Last floor pan beside the seat driver side is in. Need to grind and clean up a few welds and give it some epoxy black , but the floor pans are in a ready for the final coating. Got some lower front rear quarter edge (pass side) damage / rust to tend to. Then go to the trunk to set up the floor /ditch the spare tire sump and mount the fuel tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

found other set of 8, will split with you so we have 12 - 302 11:1 TRW pistons each for STD bore build. I have ti press off the pink rods. Just reimburse me shipping rest is $$free. You still looking for sbc tall M/T valve covers?

13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Let me know and I'll get that out to you asap.
    I could use one MT , but I am thinking about making my 327 325 hp covers tall if you know what I mean. I have a tall set of steel valve covers and combine the two. I have always loved the look of those but they wont clear aftermarket rocker arms. I intend on fixing that problem. Not much good hanging on the wall. thanks for the help with the rod Numbers.

14. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some where I have a set of tall steel covers for dirt track. One has 2x breathers.

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a pair that had breathers, do you have the Alum rod, wire to fill them.

16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I normally just weld in a set of baffles

1Nimrod, GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  17. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Really good find, more pics updates please.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  18. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch, my tri five seats... $175 swap meet special. Nobody wanted them until I bought them ... T Bird?

20210728_124736.jpg

1Nimrod, WC145, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Did you ever find the front bumper piece you were looking for? I might have one if you're still looking.

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Squablow - I did NOT find one. Deal fell through. Yes I am Interested.And thanks for remembering.

Doug - Mine aren't far from that. Maybe an inch taller at the shoulder.( need to be recovered) Yours are nice though. And even match your car. lol, Ill take a pic and post them tomorrow in the AM.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Doug here is the mustang seat. I suspect 67-69 ish.mine will need a recover if I use them which isn’t likely. Got a couple of guys on here that have inquired but the shipping will be stout. I suspect pick would be better but I really doubt I am gonna use them.

Attached Files:

22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look like 69 Camaro.. People killun for metal frames.

23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Took some time this morning and looked at the bottom bolt rear on the front pass fender. It usually breaks off, rounds off , or breaks the nut lose and spins. As bad as this looks ( half the nut is rusted away and you couldn’t see where the nut /bolt /begin or end and yes the fender has the natural lightning /weight reduction treatment ) would you believe it loosened up and then after adjusting the fender door gap ( they were slightly scraping at the bottom ) tighten back up and did not break off. Deep Creep is some whodoo stuff. I know If no pics it didn’t happen. Well then here you go. God is good. And he loves crazy people too

Attached Files:

24. loudbang

loudbang

Hey everybody has to get lucky sometimes. :)

1Nimrod, Big mike 1968 and Thor1 like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

That's shocking the bolt actually loosened up and that nut held.

26. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked for a dairy farmer, had this stuff called "Nut Buster" green lettering, white can from the farmers exchange, stuff never failed to loosen rusted bolts. You'd swear the bolts back themselves out ..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Now you know why you guys got pics. I am still shocked.

28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Patch for front rear lower quarter on pass side is welded in. Gotta grind and clean up then hammer and dolly a little. Probobly take a little filler when time.
    Would you believe that I got the door locks cleaned and deep creeped and they are working now. Like wow.

Attached Files:

29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got the rear quarter welds ground down and did the basic filler work. Will block and look tomorrow and see. It’s almost dark.

Attached Files:

30. Another idea for the gas tank. Mine is 25 X 25 X 10, I think. Anyway it is deeper than stock, but not any wider or longer if you include the flange around the stock unit. Made a mounting bracket and filler through the floor to the stock gas cap location. I wanted to keep my spare, and this tank holds 22 gallons!

fuel cell mount.JPG filler in trunk.JPG