Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 52 ply coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by steve luce, Jul 28, 2021.

1. steve luce

steve luce

I have a friend who has a 52 ply and he is wondering if the lockheed brakes on the front can be updated to a newer style drum brake system off a late 50's or early 60's ply/dodge car. He is having trouble getting the OE brakes adjusted so they work somewhat reliable. I know from past experience from when I worked in the auto repair field that even when adjusted correctly they weren't the best brakes. Anybody have any idea's? other than a disc/drum conversion which is somewhat expensive $1200 plus just for the parts. Thanks for any help or ideas, Steve [email protected]

2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

You can do rusty hope disc conversion for about 500 bucks. That being said, my 53 with Lockheeds stops just fine. It just depends on how much time and effort you want to spend dialing them in. My 49 is getting the rusty hope kit though.

73RR likes this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

I'll second the disc upgrade. And, if you plan to do the rear brakes and also to plan to keep the car awhile I'd suggest installing an Explorer 8.8 rear.

Guy Patterson likes this.