Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where In the Hell is David Perry?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Where In the Hell is David Perry?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

303racer, 63fdsnr, warbird1 and 13 others like this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great write up man!

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Great post! His work influenced a lot of folks in the 90s and early Aughts.

He has so many great Bonneville and dry lakes shots but "the fire suit" pic will forever be burned into my retinas ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember that shot of the 40 at Bonneville. I didn't remember his name but have long appreciated his work.

36 ROKIT, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. Ryan, I really appreciated your post. David Perry has been a photography hero of mine for years and I thoroughly enjoyed this update on what he’s been up to. Having been a sailor for years I can understand his passion for boats. The fact that he has chosen to tackle a traditional wooden boat speaks volumes about his commitment.

This entry was perhaps my favorite in your series of occasional blog updates. Thanks!

Hamtown Al, fauj, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

When I was a geeky young photographer I learned of David Perry through Street Rodder when they published a nice spread on David 's work. Oh and young being having shot and developed for over 10 years. I spent days in the darkroom doing my best to refine by work.
    Then one year we were up to Paso staying at The Base, and who is our neighbor?? David Perry. What a nice guy, he came over and we talked for hours and became friends, to me.
    I watched his career just zoom to the stratosphere,,,,
    Then he was gone,,,,,
    A short bump at another Paso and he told me the story of the publications, the bad and worst.
    But as you have shown, he is still alive with new histories to be written and photographed.
    I treasure my copy of HOT RODS and just page it every so often and see vehicles I raced and one I now own.
    Thanks David, you have meant a lot to me and hopefully to other 'young' photographers

Outback, Hamtown Al, fauj and 6 others like this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a few of his books...but my Billy Gibbons book went missing after i let someone borrow it...Anyone have one for sale?

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I'm so glad you took the time to track him down! David was local to us here in the East Bay, and a very dear friend for many years as the traditional hot rod scene exploded between 1995-2005(ish). So happy to hear he is doing well, and yes, David Perry is quite simply one of the best hot rod photographers of all time. Full Stop. He shot many pictures of my wife Trish with my cars over the years, but I'm sure he was secretly in love with me- See how he got my butt in the shot here?
    14107.jpg

Outback, Lil'Alb, AHotRod and 20 others like this.
  9. silent rick

silent rick

that's because you have a face for radio :)

10. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Thanks Ryan. Just picked up a copy from abebooks.com. It'll probably get here when I get back from Bonneville. Looking forward to seeing it and adding it to my shelf.

Tim and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

man.. great Editorial .... Dave Perry Understands and abides.

Outback, NoSurf, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a great many people do not understand the key to great photography..... take lots of pictures and toss out the bad ones before anyone can see them.

Paul, mgermca, Irish Mike and 5 others like this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

great interview

Deuces likes this.
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The realm of black and white photography, is an acquired taste indeed ! Not easily mastered. Ansel Adams, back in his day, with a large format view camera, would wait all day for the light to be just right, for one photograph. Its apparent that David Perry was of the same mindset to get the shot just right !
    Thanks for the write up, its appreciated !

15. @Jive-Bomber , Jay, I never knew that was your wife. You sure married above your pay grade!

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for bringing up Perry’s work, I was a huge fan year’s ago and I hadn’t thought about it for a long time. It seems like a lot of extremely talented folks work hard at a craft but can stop and turn on a dime to a new interest leaving us wondering where they went.
    If you do get a chance to do a follow up with him ask for some details about his musical pursuits. I’m curious.

fauj, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A key part of the resurgence for certain. Instantly identifiable I've dozens of his imagines seared into my memory.

18. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

49 ratfink that is not how it works. You only have so many frames in a analog camera and you must make them count. You don't waste film as it is expensive. Now digital is a different story but you can tell the guys who learned on film as they still don't waste shots

Outback, kevinrevin, 36 ROKIT and 2 others like this.
  19. The first exposure to David Perry was at Greasball in San Francisco in I think 1993 at 333 Slims. It was like a mini viva las vegas but so much better. David was there with a small booth selling prints and he was shooting there as well. I bought one of the prints and like all others at that time wished I could be a subject with my hot rod in one of his shoots. Fast forward to 1997 and his book came out. Bought it right away for the library and have treasured it ever since.

Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I once saw David Perry shoot a wedding with disposable 35mm cameras and little plastic filters that he held over the lens with his free hand. I was super unimpressed with that idea... until I saw the shots... and then, I was just super pissed at him. Images were gorgeous.

21. Thats awesome!

22. He's the best, and his girls were always so fuckin sexy (so offense Jay!). I was a kid when I got his hot rod book. Still on the shelf, still gets thumbed through on occasion. Weesner looks so young in it :D

Hamtown Al, Baumi, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  23. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I like to say she's perfect in every way, except she's got really bad taste in men... :D

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for posting

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  25. Thanks MJW. Just picked up two of his books from Abe books.com.

MJW and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. Oh man @Ryan thanks for tracking him down - glad David is doing good and still doing his thing. I always admired his work too, and was so happy when he came to Austin in those early days of the Lonestar Round Up and we got to hang out. We did an art show of his prints in 2002 right before the very first Round Up up in Gallery 1313 (now the Continental Gallery) on South Congress. I still have a couple of prints I got from him that year that still hang in my house.

Here was the poster for that
    hrposter.jpg

Polaroid of DP and Jimmie Vaughan from the show
    jimmie.jpg

A very young me and David hanging out - and FatLucky in the background... early Kontinentals days.
    P1010061.JPG

Speaking of early Kontinentals.. I have some scans of contact sheets from stuff he shot on film of hanging out down on South Congress with us...

@El Jefe on the flip phone in the Black Dahlia making the call while I gas up the Ranchero in the background.

flip.jpg

Hanging out on @krupanut 's roadster in front of the Continental Club back when we had South Congress all to ourselves... not a car in sight and plenty of parking around the San Jose Hotel.

Soco.jpg

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen those B… great stuff.

28. I made a very early website for David's Studio and for Billy Gibbons back in those days. Had some fun times down in Houston and San Antonio with those dudes when David was shooting stuff for the BFG book. Sad news about Dusty today had me thinking back to this, by coincidence.

Goofing around with Pearly Gates in the studio
    IMG_3104.JPG

Making the scene in downtown San Antonio at The Esquire Tavern. You might be surprised at how much you can get away with from the SAPD when you are rolling in Cadzilla with BFG and you wanna block off some traffic for a little bit to shoot some photos.

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

29. Inthemitten

Inthemitten

Journalism at its finest @Ryan - a short interview that makes us all want more, but captures the essence of David and his work. More, sir. More.

41 GMC K-18 and saltracer219 like this.