Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM ignition switch guts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Dilts, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Rick Dilts

Rick Dilts

So thinking that I could take this switch apart and see if anything was wrong with it. 2 tiny little cylinders fell out of it. I can't find anywhere on the internet where it shows a breakdown of the inside of one of these switches. Has anyone ever ripped into one and know where these little pins go or does someone have a picture of the inside?[​IMG]

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Reminds me of being 8 yrs old and disassembling the old wind up alarm clock.

cfmvw and Center of the Galaxie like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

no, but if you take it apart and take some good pictures of the parts, we might be able to help you figure it out. My guess is they might be part of a detent, or something similar, perhaps they fit inside small coil springs?

it's been a while since I've wanted one of them in a car of mine....

Ned Ludd and 19Eddy30 like this.
  4. Done that, probably with similar results to you. :)

As far as the switch goes I'd just get a new one ... but that's without knowing any other details.

'34 Ratrod and Petejoe like this.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've taken apart a few switches (but not that particular one) to clean up, reapply the dielectric grease and put back together. So far full success, but even with a lot of care, it is easy to have a tiny spring or pin or two go astray and result in a fair bit of time finding it.

You'll typically find a couple copper or silver (if it's really old) contacts that are dirty and corroded. I clean them up with a piece of Cratex or fine sand paper, then clean the whole works with solvent before applying the new "grease" and reassembling. A difficult, challenging but rewarding job.

Wanderlust likes this.
  6. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

If you disassemble it in a big bag it's easy to find springs or pins that could fly out. I use a clear 2 gallon zip lock bag when doing lock cylinders.

squirrel, VANDENPLAS, egads and 2 others like this.
  7. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Excellent advice ,wish I was that smart

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a side note: With that style of GM ignition switch you have to have the correct switch for a tilt wheel column or a non tilt column. They don't swap and I am thinking that they work backwards from each other although the wiring connections to the pigtail are the same.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Exactly. One is a pusher and the other is a puller. It all has to do with where the rack was positioned (above or below the pinion of key tumbler) up higher in the column that the rod connects to.