Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thieves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopar362000, Jun 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I have night vision cameras and an alarm system and 2 dogs. You have to now a day. I've seen some crazy stuff on my cameras.

kiwijeff and Deuces like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

A high powered Crossman pellet rifle with a scope wouldn't hurt.... :D:D:D

3. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yep we have plenty of those too. My wife is a probation officer so between the both of us we'll, let's just say we're prepared.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

A few years back I was contacted by a guy my wife goes to church with. He told me a guy he works with had an old Ford panel truck he wanted to sell. I contacted the seller and made arrangements to meet him at his house in the inner city of Milwaukee. I meet him and his wife at their house and we walked across the street through a vacant lot to a four stall garage in the next alley. The overhead doors were all boarded up but entered a side door. At the far end sat the beat up '48-50 panel truck. I couldn't see much because there was only a single low watt light bulb in the building. We made a deal to buy the truck and I came back the next day with my truck and trailer. As we're working on getting the truck out of the garage I was looking over the garage across the alley. It was new and big, stood out in the neighborhood and there were signs on all sides notifying everyone they were on closed circuit camera. The owner of the big garage came out and started to talk to us, very friendly guy. I asked if he ever caught anyone with his cameral and he replied, "Yes, I caught her father's killers." Referring to the seller's wife's father. The father was a nice guy and there was a homeless couple he offered them a room in his big duplex. He had a couple of big screen TVs and a small coin collection so they thought he was rich so they killed him and cleaned out his house. The neighbor's cameras recorded them hauling the father's possessions out of the house after they killed him.

Watch the real life crime stories on TV, the vast majority of the criminals are caught on camera via gas stations and banks, they have the best cameras and there are a lot of them allowing the allowing the authorities to track the movements of the criminals. With the addition of home cameras it makes it even easier.

0nedon, Deuces, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  5. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Probably drug addicts. No idea what they have. Just need a few bucks for a fix. I’d hunt them down for sure. Bait them into another situation.

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-27_3-41-8.png thanks @themoose
    Buick Skylark Wire Wheels on my 1958 Chevy Impala.1963

Hello,

When we finished high school, our fast cars were still good on the streets. The next generation cars, other than the red 409 Chevy Biscayne had not arrived on the scene as yet. Usually, the current high school teenagers had their cadre of hot rods and cruising sedans. So, by the summer of 1963, it was time for a change.

I had saved enough to buy a pristine set of Buick Skylark wire wheels (5) for an excellent price. (no, they were not “hot.”) I also had enough saved to get the hubs and axles modified and re-drilled by Henry’s Machine Shop to fit the Buick Skylark Wire Wheels. When they finally got mounted next door to Henry’s Machine Shop at the tire/alignment dealer, it was cruising around as the only 1958 Impala running Buick Skylark wires.

The wheel and tire shop guy is/was meticulous. He tightened and aligned each spoke as a courtesy for the overall tire/alignment job. The whole car/tire balancing was done on those roll up machines under the tires/rims. No off car balancing was available back then.

Afterwards, the 58 Impala drove straight as an arrow, had no bounce or wiggles at high speed. The Cherry Avenue Drags location was just down the street from all of these high performance shops catering to mostly hot rod guys and drag racing applications.

Jnaki

We had a great time cruising and having some encounters all summer. But then later in the next summer, late one night in Belmont Shore, the Impala went missing. I had parked it bumper to bumper to the car in front. My friend visiting me in our apartment parked his car tagging my rear trailer hitch. No one was going to get the Impala out of that tight parking space.

But, when a couple of girls that we knew came over to the apartment and asked if I was around. I rose from the couch and said here I am. Then the next thing they asked was…where is the Impala?

That left the rest of the night and early morning frantic cruise, searching for the Impala. The police said it had to be a key entry as no broken glass was anywhere in the parking area. We all just could not figure out how they got to the Impala and how they got out of the tight space. So, a 12 midnight search led to a 3:00am discovery in a darkened corner of a park we knew in East Long Beach.

The thieves must have known my Impala. It was left in a dark corner of the park, sitting on several sturdy milk crates. The only thing stolen, other than the Buick Skylark Wires was my custom black tachometer removed gently from the dash position. No scratches, no dents or broken windows. It was all neat and tidy.

The recovery was good, the replacement Buick black steel rims were now on the car until I sold it just before the end of December 1964.
    upload_2021-7-27_3-43-30.png Black on black on black
    We still think to this day that due to the gentleness of the theft, it was an inside job. Someone had a master key, drove gently and was very neat in their removal of the rims and small tach.
    There were no scratches on the pristine black paint. It just looked weird sitting on 4 strong milk crates without any wheels.

Nothing else was taken, but they were in some kind of hurry, they left the spare Buick Skylark Wire Wheel that I had in the trunk. That last Skylark Wire Wheel was in such nice condition, that when I sold it to a custom car guy, I got the full refund plus more, just for one Buick Skylark Wire Wheel.

kiwijeff and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I hope the worthless POS gets a headache from lead poisoning...

Deuces likes this.
  8. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Crazy Steve most people on here won't know what 500 or 750 mcm is. But I think hitting anyone with that thick of wire would cause more than bruises and get you put in jail for assault even if that person was robbing you. Sorry the law works that way but that is someones child

Boneyard51 and olscrounger like this.
  9. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

TO put into perspective I was that dumb kid once

Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

To be honest, looking back for a second, I myself more than once deserved a good "Tune-Up", and didn't get it. Probably would have saved me a lot of grief over the years. I don't need it now, let's be clear on that :)

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. I'm still chapped about having my 30 Ford closed cab stolen. Thieves are one step below toe jam. Stolen in '05, never a word about it since.
    In a not related story, I worked with a good guy maned Tom. Tom lives in a bad part of town...nice house, low taxes. His back yard is home to his German Shepard dog and Tom had put Beware of dog signs on all his wire fences. Some of the local kids have teased his dog incessantly. One day one of the kids didn't see the dog and took a shortcut through Tom's yard.....yep, the dog nailed that kid.
    Tom got sued even though the dog was current on all his shots. Had to have his dog euthanized and had to pay for the kid's stitches and pain and suffering... That's all I have to say about that.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

had something similar happen, w/o the thieving, but dog-related. Mom's nurse did something stupid, & I got the twice over + threats from the (asshole bitch) sheriffs' deputy - even after dumb girl voluntarily admitted she did the stupid thing. Yah, don't get me going ...

& unfortunately, thieves are rarely caught, almost never prosecuted, seemingly protected by the "Law", apparently have more "rights" than honest folks do, & I can't remember when any of 'em got "theirs" for their "efforts" - but the unwilling victim got to bear the cost(s). & I also never got anything back... ;( .
    Marcus...

Truck64 likes this.
  13. I've had cameras for years. Have too many stories, but now I only have two cameras that are old and don't work. They are in the Windows so everyone can see them. They don't know they don't work, but they do hear the rabid bull mastif going berserk inside.

14. Living in the country on a dead end road, we’re spread out as everyone has 10 or more acres. We have an unofficial neighborhood watch group where everybody looks out for everybody.
    We know which cars belong and which don’t.

Our motto is: Who do want me to call, the sheriff or the ambulance?

trollst, Boneyard51, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Years back someone broke in my son’s house while he was at work, scaring his wife. She ran outside and called the police and me. The cops and I came, thief had left, with some of my son’s guns. The police did a report. She went back in the house and called me back and said the thief was back! She scared him off again! Called the police and me. The cops didn’t take finger prints off the broken window or the lighter he dropped climbing in!
    So in the commotion the cops left, my D/L left, my wife drove my truck and I spent the night behind the couch with my nine. I guess the thief was either smart or done! And it’s probably a good thing….. he would not have made it back out of the house….. and I would have probably gone to jail the way the system is today! But……. I am in Oklahoma, which has the “ Make my Day” law!

Bones

williebill, Deuces, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  16. I believe this happened in the early 90's. It happened in Ontario Canada (this event is connected to my wife's family before I met her). Three punks targeting an older guy who lives alone in a small house in the country with no neighbors close by. I am not entirely clear on what form or forms of harassment he was dealing with but, he decided he had had enough, turned off all the lights and sat and waited. I should mention, he was an avid hunter and apparently a good shot. Sure enough, the three punks show up and break into his house. He confronts, one is shot dead the other two run. At this point, rather than immediately call the police, he calls a friend of his who is a cop. I don't know what, if any charges he faced, but when it went to court, the fact that he called a cop friend instead of THE cops was apparently a HUGE issue. In the end, he was not convicted of anything and was therefore not jailed but he was saddled with a legal bill for something like $50,000. Add the expected tremendous amount of stress involved on top of the $50G's and it makes one wonder if it was worth it. Dirty Harry makes it look so easy but ...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

But it seems right at the time. Here in Oklahoma if they break into your home it is legal to kill them! Not sure about the sitting behind the couch waiting for them…..lol. But you need to get all of them……one story that way.
    But it has to be your home, not your shop. But there are a number of “ weapons” available in a shop! Just saying. ……..

Bones

18. When I first got into the trade mid-late 90’s there was a group of guys that would smash and grab shops in Hamilton and then sell the tools and equipment in Scarborough. ( about and hour apart)
    I guess there thought was two completely different cities on either side of Toronto no one will put 2+2 together.

well someone did. These guys tried to sell some stuff got beat within an inch of their lives and the cops called.

they guys who did the beating said “ Let it be known mechanics don’t buy stolen tools and we support each other “

anyways the newspaper made a huge deal about vigilantism and taking the law in your own hands etc. Not sure what happened to our “Hero’s” but I’m glad they did what they did.

like a few of you guys have said. Getting your bell rung when your a cheese eating high school kid goes leaps and bounds to making you a good adult.

I think there are a lot of grown ups who don’t have e a clue simply because they where able to avoid getting a knuckle sandwich .

They hurt !!! A lot !!!! Makes you a man and makes you realize things can get bad and go sideways in a real hurry. Is it really worth it ? Really ?
    Nope not for me .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Good advice! But here in Oklahoma those knuckle sandwiches don’t stop in High School! LOL!

Bones

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The other night I was up late reading and about 1:30 am the doorbell rang and someone knocked several times.

I don't answer the door at 1:30 AM, for one thing. Just kids and a prank? Maybe. Maybe not, I dunno. Trolling to see if anybody is home? Kick in the door a few minutes (or a few hours?) later? I dunno. I've been meaning to get a security camera or maybe a game camera setup, just to review the night goin's on. Lots of wack jobs only come out at night.

Onetime when I was still living in my parents house, I remember one night laying in bed barely awake and hearing a distinctive noise. I knew exactly what it was - instantly - because when I was young and dumb and my brothers were too, we did it all the time - lift up on the garage door to sneak back in the house.

In a split second I was up and ready, adrenaline being good stuff sometimes and yelled out the window "I'm gonna Kill You MFer!!!" This kid starts running away across the lawn, tripping and falling and unassed the AO just as fast as he could. LOL!! He must have wondered what the deal was on that house. The time period from him pulling up on the door sneaky like and me being Johnny On The Spot was only a couple seconds.

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and '28phonebooth like this.
  21. I don't know what it was, but one night several years ago I got a feeling that I should go outside. So I get up off the couch and head out the back door. I lived on the corner and had pretty good access to all parts of my property, I walked out to the driveway, and saw someone prowling our cars. Now mind you, I'm not a small guy, but my uncle is the white ninja of Northern Idaho, let's just say I am nimble on my feet... I sneak up on this guy. I'm close enough to grab him standing with is back to me and say

" what the fuck do you think you're doing?"

I thought he was gonna piss himself.... He's stammering and coming up with excuses.. But before he can get out anything coherent I told him to get the hell out of there and that I never wanted to see him again. Day or Night. He took of running. Only ever had 1 car broken into there in 12 years.

Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  22. 0nedon

0nedon

About 3 years ago my uncle

23. 0nedon

0nedon

About 3 years ago my old uncle Joe said the devil was getting him, he would go to the bank every day and get 2-4 hundred dollars. He had started to show signs of alltimers-dementia and he lived alone. I told his brother something seemed wrong and he said it just his illness. Uncle Joe even went to the police and told them he was being robbed- they blew it off because of his age and health. I always visited every day but I started going to visit 2-3 ties a day, several times he was scraped up and bruised- he would tell me the devil did it. Finally I had enough, I told my wife I was going to go spend the night with him. I went about 5 p.m. He went to bed early. Old Joe slept on the couch in the front room. I went and layed on a bed in one of the bedrooms-must of dosed off. I was awoke hearing- YOU DEVIL YOU . I opened the bedroom door and there the rat was finally cought.I saw a pin dot moving on the wall. I forgot to mention I had a 380 auto with me. One shot put him down. They life watched him to a bigger city and saved him. He got 3 years. He also gets to carry the slug for life, it was to close to his spine to remove. I think he will think twice about going in a seniors house again. By the way I was a senior also.

Truck64, ffr1222k and Deuces like this.
  24. Special Ed

Special Ed

I thought the HAMB was about traditional hot rods and customs?

25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

it's traditional to shoot thieves, or hang em

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

My buddy's garage was broken into several times over the course of several years. After doing the bit of calling the cops, calling his insurance company, ect ect., he got a big dog from the SPCA, A big ugly dog to roam around his garage. After several months of feeding the dog, cleaning up after the dog and walking the dog, his hard work paid off. Around 2300 he heard barking coming from the garage. The would be theft had climb in through a high wall window and the dog had him in a corner. He call the police and they haul him away. The theft sue and by buddy had to go to court. Well the judge heard both sides of the story, and made his judgement by asking the thief if the dog had let him into the garage, the thief said, "No". The judge said, "I guess you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, case dismiss. But you know after all of this, my buddy did not receive anything out of it for items stolen in the past. The thief paid a fine, was in jail for 30 days, and probation for a year, and that was it.
    '

Truck64 likes this.
  27. I know a guy who had his house broken into. He had a big dog at the time, his daughter came home from her hospital job and found the front door wide open. The crook came in via the back door.

There was blood everywhere, mainly the dining room where the dog chased the guy around the table at least a few times. The cops took blood samples, fingerprints, checked hospitals... nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.