Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Heap Now Is $1000 Showpiece

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Old Heap Now Is $1000 Showpiece

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Tim, sewfast, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My how times have changed.

3. Are they tired of you at the Honolulu library yet?

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ill give him $1200

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I was gonna say, close to $1000, ill be generous and just give him the full stack of 10 franklins

6. belair

belair

"A thousand dollars for a Model A? Never gonna happen." Said everyone in 1963.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. LOL I remember when R&C used to put the cost to build in their article. I recall a show quality car costing 5K to build and thinking to myself, "man $5,000.00 to build a a car who has that kind of money."

stillrunners, Tim and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! I remember the guys telling of $2K spent, sold car for $750. Cash!

9. Thousand dollar show piece!!!!

that’s an insult in today’s day and age :eek:

just to make him feel better I’ll give him $1375.80 !:D

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

We had a couple big naval air stations here in Maine... lots of sailors had to sell their hot rods when re-stationed... deals were had !

48fordnut likes this.
  11. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Da Drool Jewel. I love it.

12. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

upload_2021-7-26_15-47-31.jpeg and …by the way.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So it's a $9670 car today? I'll take it. With the Merc motor.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

15. Trent -

Wrong Island (Oahu) ... Ryan is on Kauai ... so it's one of six libraries:

Kauai Public Libraries.JPG

UPDATE: D'oh! :oops: ... I see now that @Ryan already answered you :D

16. I know, it was just easier to type.

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. Back on topic of this Blog ...

Here's Dave's Punahou Class of 1957 yearbook photo:

David Hughes Jr. - Punahou Class of '57.JPG

David Hughes (Jr.) went on to become a Honolulu (motorcycle) police officer ... and unfortunately, passed away in 1971 at the age of 34.

His widow (& family) lived near my aunt & uncle in Kailua (on the windward side of Oahu).

In the late '70s / early '80s, I somewhat remember hearing stories about Dave's high school Hot Rod ... as well as stories about his son (David Hughes III) who was a standout football player at Kamehameha High School (in Honolulu) ... and later went on to play in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks:

David Hughes III.jpg

I wonder if the Hughes family has any pics or more info on Dave's flathead powered Model A Hot Rod ... ???

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  18. Value versus worth. I have a 25-year-old OT DD with 500+K miles on it. Taxes are less than walking around money, insurance is paltry and when I fill the gas tank, I double the value of the vehicle. Replacing with a near exact 2021 of the same make and model would cost me $37,000. What's the car worth to me? Immeasurable. Money saved goes into the hotrod.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Baumi and kevinrevin like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

awe. Good stuff man!

HEMI32 likes this.
  20. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Your dollar to year difference is way off, which is not surprising as you probably pulled it from Google. Real example,, In 1970 you could buy a fully loaded brand new pickup for $3500.00 today they start at $55K for the base model and go up as you add options. And don't even get me started on the difference in gas prices from 1970 to 2021...lol

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, Elroy Hirsch, Tommy McDonald, Paul Hornung at the Hula Bowl was an event we did not miss on our mainland news media and magazines. Those guys were “THE” stars of college football. But the news article on the teenager from Punahou High School and having a two motors for his daily driver was something. Back then, as well as today, Punahou High School is one of the most expensive private high schools around. So, two motors was a “throw in the bucket” for that teenager.

At the time I bought my Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was a reliable vehicle that I could take anywhere along the coastline of So Cal. The mountains and desert access involved hills and high elevation that required more power from my motor that it just did not have. We had a great time with the Flathead chugging all along the coast line checking out the waves and beaches. But, Flathead was limiting our total usage of cruising all over.

We knew from the steep roads, very steep and long hill climbs along the coast, but it was just down shifting to a lower gear and hope for the best. Not something a normal car would do if it had “more power.”

Jnaki

If we had the money saved, it would have had the 348 Chevy motor that was in the sedan delivery when I first saw it roll into the local drive-in hangout. But, once owning the Flathead sedan delivery, my thoughts were to get a Reath Automotive built Flathead motor to “upgrade” for the lack of power.

The idea of the 348 motor or a Reath Automotive Flathead in it, as long as I owned the sedan delivery, would have been worth $1000 in 1965.
    upload_2021-8-8_5-1-6.png
    As usual, money spoke and we still had the stock Flathead motor for our long distance surf adventures. YRMV

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those were the days my friend,
    I thought they'd never end but, they did.