Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Resurrection of an Old Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Rear Brakes done.. Kinda Phucked up tho. mounted bass ackwards the first time. For a simple system the rears kicked my ass.

20210702_190558.jpg

20210702_183301.jpg

OOOOPS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

20210703_044322.jpg

Have not decided if going to leave drum natural finish or paint black see what it looks like after wheel back on.

Bent and ran brake lines to wish bone attachment. Also will need to figure out the Parking brake cables..

20210703_052213.jpg

2. Went to the local 3rd party DMV got the truck registered with the copper plate to match year..

Spent some time cleaning and now time to paint it correctly.

20210626_155730.jpg

20210628_200630.jpg

Stogy, bchctybob, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  3. Also wish it would rain here the humidity is awful with this heat, would help to put out the fire that is right up the road that is threatening town.

20210701_145856.jpg

Stogy, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  4. ITS ALIVE...

Just finally got it fired off only running on the center carb for now a float bowl full of go juice... Now need to properly break in the Cam... so it is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel for me I know it runs with new cam and a Gear Drive . Inside this metal garage you should can hear the Gear Drive...

5. Now need to finish the fuel/brake lines, Hook up the clutch.. A little wiring and and with some luck a trip around the block a few times for a shake down run..

Stogy, bchctybob, brEad and 3 others like this.
  6. Excellent progress and it sounds good, too!

7. Yes I am happy with the sound also..

8. Very cool little pickup! Following along now that I am caught up. :cool:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Well some more done.. Been hot and humid still UGH !

pulled the engine back out to put the clutch and pressure plate in, Since it was just put into place just to fire and break in the cam.
    Was trying to roll it out and seemed like something was binding? I was like WTF !
    Got the engine out and the input shaft was not turning when trying to even tho trans was in neutral?
    So out comes the trans also and thrown on the bench.. top cover off and no gears wants to turn, So pried here there every where, finally got it turning.... Come to find out the rear u-joint was NOT on the shaft all the way, I presumed it was since it went on and stopped solid, Hmmmm.
    Found the original worn one and it goes all the way on to the bearing again WTF !
    Upon closer inspection I noticed it had marks from where the out put shaft dove into it creating a stop,
    So did some filing( actually A LOT of filing) and made it fit so it would go up against the rear bearing.
    Guess when the engine was tightened up to bell/trans and the rear u-joint against the drive shaft it shoved the main shaft forward and created the bind and not want to roll... Seems to shift and go thru the gears fine now.

One more thing done and more time consuming crap.

10. Now on to installing the clutch... OMFG ! AGAIN !
    The Fly wheel is a 168 tooth and was NOT drilled for the 10.5 clutch again WTF !
    So searching I go to find a flywheel that will accept both clutches like what I was used to back in the day..
    Calling bone yards/trans shops friends and such no such luck.. Internet search showed some SFI rated flywheels that was between $325-450.00.. This damned truck going to be the death of me.

Son I started looking Crackheads list/offerup/ market place.. Found one WHOOO HOOO !
    send off a message and it was like 4 hrs before the dude responded? Yes 4 hrs how the hell do you take so long to respond to someone that is replying to your add, And to top it off dude wasnt even working.
    After about 2.5 hrs of messaging back and forth, I got a address to go get it(would not give ph#?)
    another 2.5 hr round trip in the heat of the day 113 OUCH. Got back home and installed the flywheel clutch/disc and Engine back in the hole WAY, That part went so smooth right in with out wiggle wiggle push shove jack twist or no crap. Bolted all accessory's back on and finished tighten ALL the bolts back down...

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  11. Here is a bit more done also...

Front shocks mounted using F-1 mounts..

20210706_203436.jpg

20210706_203444.jpg

A little bending here there to make to work and clear..

Stogy, bchctybob, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  12. Bed bolted together and mounted to frame/Rear brake lines DONE

20210711_162838.jpg

13. A little more than a month to go to make this working and driving it is going to be close.
    If it is going to Michigan next month or not...

14. Long hours sux ass at work so little time after to get things done...
    Bought a cheap ass grill was quicker to mount this than hours of work on the original..
    The 34 grill will eventually go on..

20210713_192209.jpg

15. While working on the Hotrod tonight making a set of rad support rods..

this came across my feet !... SKEERED the bajebus out of me..

20210714_201751.jpg

bchctybob, Jet96, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Well here is The supports

20210714_195300.jpg

20210714_195311.jpg

20210714_195335.jpg

bchctybob, Jet96, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  17. another step.. Got this glass dash at a swap meet, Has a nice deep inset compared to the stock one.
    had to some trimming to fit the truck, Drill my holes now to mount it tight. Was going to go all white gauges but the ones I was looking at to match the speedo are electric NOT mechanical UGH !
    These will do for now I guess... Till I can find mechanical white gauges.

20210716_191400.jpg

bchctybob, Bugguts, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  18. Not much to see.. But some more done, Brakes bleed and has a NICE peddle feel.
    Clutch linkage made seems to work will find out when back on the ground with engine running ;)

bchctybob, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. Some reason had a leaking NEW freeze/expansion plug so that needs to be redone..

20. Alrighty... Brakes and clutch Permanente now...

20210718_193245.jpg

Used a 39 ford assembly, had to bend the peddles to clear the steering shaft..

Now some floor pieces to make.

bchctybob, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  21. what a BIG cool down we had and RAIN ! Got out of work early Friday and said WOO HOO I can get some work done to the truck.. WRONG ! One hour after getting home and setup again the power went out. Never fails when it rains here we loose power. So went for a SXS ride instead and got caught in a rain storm LOL Got soaked and cold.. All in good fun..

Saturday was a better day. Got the go fast pedal and linkage hooked up, Did some welding on the firewall to fill the clearance for the distributor. All the front end is tight, secured, new grease fittings and cotter keys in place and greased.
    Got the steering wheel in the mail, a 40 ford unit that fits the shaft of the original truck shaft. What a chore to find a wheel on a budget, Would a banjo wheel be nice HELL YES ! but not on my budget.
    Got most of the front floor boards done also.. Need to do some finishing around the bell housing, But that can be done later Its functional right now. Now time to mount the seats..

20210725_141719.jpg

Also the steering box and column drop bracket finalized, Speedo cable hooked up. Almost rdy for that shake down run !

bchctybob, brEad, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  22. 32 hudson

32 hudson

looking good.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. Thnx...

There are a LOT of work, If was easy every one would be building one

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:...not your average millipede...how'd you like that slithering out from under the seat at 60 on the highway...is that poisonous?

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  25. Naaa That's one of the good snakes, Its a KING snake.

Still would scare the shit out of you @60 tho and in a small cab it would not be fun.

26. loudbang

loudbang

Speaking of Millipedes the ones we have here are about 6-8 inches long and are POISONOUS. So there I am under my car up on jackstands on a cement floor lying on my back working on something on the bottom of the car with a hammer in my hand. And THEN feel something crawling up my side and look down at my stomach and sure as shit it's one of them poisonous ones.....didn't want to move or get bit so I whacked it with the hammer ... while it was on my stomach. Smarted a bit but better then getting whacked by the stinger of one of them. :confused:

bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yipes...that sounds like a leftover from the dino age and poisonous too...:eek:...they are only 1.25" here...

You fellas have some creepy visitors in the workshop...we're very fortunate that our biggest enemies are bees, black flies, mosquitoes and horseflies...:)

loudbang likes this.
  28. what does a poisonous millipede look like?

loudbang likes this.
  29. I was wondering the same...
    Centipedes can be poisonous
    Is a millipede venomous?
    Due to their dashing good looks and numerous legs, millipedes are commonly confused with centipedes. Unfortunately, this has given the poor millipede a bad reputation. Millipedes are not venomous.

centi-milli-main.png

30. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Boy, the shit you learn on the HAMB!

Stogy, rpm56, bchctybob and 3 others like this.