Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gm 235 hei dist.install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Jul 24, 2021.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

just got my chinese hei dist for my 235 . no wiring diagram .2 wires .one red one green . anyone got a clue if one is ground .one always hot , red hot green ground ? has internal dist..thnx for any input on the input .

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One is batt and the other is tach. Assuming that this one is very similar the pigtail plugs into the cap and only goes in one way
    eBay item number:

Usually Batt and dist are marked on the cap where the pigtail plugs in. red green wire for Hei.jpg 6 cyl hei.jpg

buick bill likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Remember...an actual HEI distributor NEEDS a full 12 volts, 100% of its "on" time.
    Bypass the ballast resistor.

Mike

buick bill likes this.
  4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

wow , i put on glasses and its plain as day ! this old age shit is really over rated . thnx for the help. rotor should point at #7 , right ? just joking

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you put a few marks in the right places to line the distributor body up as in #__ lines up right with this screw or ___ you should be able to drop it in and have the timing pretty close to spot on on that one.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well got the dist. installed .works gteat . but im not very happy with the fit . sets up very high compared to the orig..and the large cap just clears the dip stick and plugs. i might start shopping for for one more the size of the original . but it does run much better . either way im done with points

nunattax likes this.
  7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Done with points, that's not traditional. :D

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have figured out Bat and Tach written on top. You didn’t say what clamp you are using but if it’s on the unit shown in the photo make sure you do not put it in to far. I always measure the one I’m taking out and set the bottom or tang for the oil pump drive in the same place.
    I’ve never been able to use a nice aftermarket side plate with a large HEI. I normally need to dent a stock steel one. On my last engine I bought a Tom Langdon unit which has a smaller cap. He makes them from another 6 cyl unit that uses the first HEI style with a separate coil.

9. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Don't toss your points distributor just yet. Keep it in the trunk for when the covid special quits working. Not if, when. I have yet to see anything from China be worth a shit.

nunattax likes this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Why not just retrofit the orig ?

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stock distributors of the era Chevrolets literally move moved in the block with the vacuum advance and had a terrible seal. They were also 6 volts up to 1955. Todays advances in distributors are a great improvement and should be done. The large cap HEI was the most common one eventho not the first for the 6 cylinders. I started out machining off the factory clamp flange on later models and making my own clamp to use on older engines. Today they are readily available and much better than the originals.
    Your statement should also include all MSD's, Mallory's etc; for all the V8 guys here if you feel this hamber wants to up grade and you don't think he should.

12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

As has been said, in case the covidizzy goes belly up, maybe you should have something to replace it with. Now, in my 52 with a 54, 235, I have a Mini HEI from Tom Langdon. I'm pretty sure it is the V6 distributor with the gear replaced for the oil pump drive. It looks more appropriate as in its size and it works freakin great!

jimmy six likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you blow it up there’s one of Tom’s. You can’t get your hand off the key before its running. 8E7F8269-D328-485F-9F52-A4D0C7C1FB47.jpeg