Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quad headlight grille combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThatSteveGuy, Jun 25, 2021.

1. ThatSteveGuy

ThatSteveGuy

IMG_3715.JPG

Hello! Does anyone know of someone manufacturing quad headlight grille combinations, like the one in this old advertisement?

Stogy likes this.
  2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although George Barris and the Alexander Bros. had success with the Quad Headlight look, it never really took off as a popular style. I'm surprised anyone even tried to market those back in the day. You can bet NO ONE is making them now.
    zquad1.jpg zquad2.jpg

Stogy and '34 Ratrod like this.
  3. Interesting... That grill/shell combo looks like a pretty exact copy of the Silver Sapphire, right down to the headlight trim and optional grill. While I doubt they sold a lot of them, I'm sure they sold some. But there was still a considerable amount of fabrication needed after purchase which probably defeated most buyers expecting a bolt-on part.

As to the comment 'it never really took off as a popular style', that's certainly not true although most of the 'traditional' crowd here seems to wish it were. In the '58-65 era if you were building any sort of custom beyond a mild one, it probably had quad lights. Custom rods were never very numerous, being a small subset of the larger custom scene but they did exist. A few more quad-equipped examples off the top of my head would be Barris' Twister T and Ed Roth's Tweetie Pie, Outlaw, and Beatnik Bandit. Look at show coverage from the era, you'll see even more less famous examples.

Stogy, egads and williebill like this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The OP and I were referring to vertical quad lights integrated into the grille shell. That set-up, as well as quad headlights in general (on pre '35 cars) NEVER became a popular trend/style...it was more of a "flash in the pan" style/idea that was only tried for a few years by a handful of builders...and then disappeared. If it was actually a popular style/trend, a lot of folks would still be using it:eek:.

'34 Ratrod likes this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I need the rest of that advertisement ! I wanna order a couple of things off that page, at those prices they're too cheap too pass up !!! LOL !!!

Stogy likes this.
  6. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

I have had the same question for a while now have been trying to find something like that for my roadster. Looks like will have get something made or make it yourself. I have been looking at suitable existing grilles to modify which should make the job easier. Let me know if you come up with anything. Cheers Mike.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Several HAMBers over the years have pulled off the look, which is hard to do. I have seen more fails than successes. Nothing on the market to my knowledge that a guy can buy however.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Edsel has been used to rather "meh" results
    Build a buck and start fabricating

Stogy likes this.
  9. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks Tman, don't know about the Edsel though, Have found a real early Bedford truck grille that is quite small and looks like a good starting point. what you said is right, no point doing it just for the sake of having something different it has to look right too.

Stogy and X-cpe like this.
  10. @MercDeuceMan built a cool one, look at his avatar

Stogy likes this.
  11. VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  12. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Agreed, both look great, definitely great inspiration. Thanks again. Mike.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Silver Sapphire Grille/Shell may have been sold under license if AB did in fact build it before that ad surfaced...which came first?...OR the Knockoff craze was well underway perhaps...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Rocket88NZ likes this.
  14. 34Phil

34Phil

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Rocket88NZ likes this.
  15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Let's hope not