Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Big auction late July - Jack Slaymaker collection !

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod_tommy, May 25, 2021.

1. what time did the auction finish up? i left at 4 PM and they still had tons of stuff to sell.

my opinion is the auction company did not get this one right

Stogy and Belle53 like this.
  2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

No, VanderB.... didnt do the Slaymaker family any favors. She screwed around for hours selling the internet stuff and steering wheels (which werent even Jacks) that by the time they got to the parts, and there was a TON of parts, it was well into the afternoon. About a 1/3 of the way thru the parts she switched it over to buy it by the pallet irregardless of what was on the pallet. And she started jumping rows which made it very confusing. But by that time a bunch of buyers had already left. I'm guessing it wrapped up about 6-6:30?
    She might be good at selling whole cars and getting top dollar for those. But she sucks for the seller if there are alot of parts. I would never hire her.

rusty valley, loudbang, burl and 8 others like this.
  3. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

I was there on Friday to preview the auction. After asking how they would sell, I decided not to go Saturday because I've been to her auctions before and the heat would be be bad by the time she got done.

4. That sucks, I have been ring man a few times for auctions and a good auctioneer can make or break it. It sucks when there is a family wanting or even needing top dollar and to clear stuff out.

5. Belle53

Belle53

They screwed it up, should of had 2-3 rings going at the same time
    The people that were there for the bikes/trikes/washing machines were not there to buy a model A fender

6. Man those choice steering wheels were bringing in $1000 to $1500 for NOS ones.........

Stogy likes this.
  7. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I personally am not a fan of (Vanderbrink Auctions) and most of the guys I know and talk to seem to say the same. One thing that she does do well though is draw a crowd. I canceled my Hotel reservation on Wednesday and Decided to stay home and Bid on my computer from my living room where it was 72 degrees while eating a bowl of Ice-cream. I know there was a ton of parts that was auctioned off for onsite bidders only, But after going up yesterday and picking up the Stuff I bought and talking to guys who were there in person at the 100 degree sale, I am glad I stayed home and just bid online. I visited with Jack's wife and Brother for a bit (Great People) It sounded like they were ok with the results of the auction. I also met a 83 year old friend of Jack's named Greg who was there Driving a super cool and very well built 31 roadster that was early Olds powered.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like there was a few pretty good deals there, that banger powered T RPU was pretty cool for not much money. I've been to a lot of Vanderbrink auctions and I never had any issues with them, but I was not at this one so I can't say how it was.

Stogy likes this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Vanderbrink came to our town to sell 100 muscle cars. My dad knew the owner as well as his dad. Dad put his car in the auction. No reserve. It went to Arizona for a respectable price. Did well for being a Leadsled. This way he didn`t have to deal with lowballers. For the most part, are any of the buyers ever happy with auction companies. At the end of the day, all the parts and cars are sold and the seller receives a check and everything leaves. Do you know an easier way to disperse a collection ?

10. Yep - I was at one of the early auctions she did - long before she got the big ones - it was a guys 1930 to late 40's cars he had held onto for years and I'd look through the walk through fence wondering when they would sell. He had other sales at other places while he was alive and as the city closed in on him.

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Looks he was a lifetime collector because he sure has some great looking cars.
    Jimo

12. Collector, hot rodder, Bonneville record holder

clem likes this.