Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 392 hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evolution, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

Hi so I've found a 392 hemi block and wanted your guys take on it

its an “A1 block” not sure if thats a bonus?

here is the add and pics, thoughts please its $1500

thanks in advance

“”392 hemi from a 57 New Yorker. It was bored .030 years ago and never built. My machinist says it's been honed but is still on the tight side so it can be finish honed to your specs. A set of vintage Milodon aluminum main caps are included but haven't been fitted/line honed. The deck surfaces have not been surfaced. I'd rather not ship””

Attached Files:

2. The A-1 stories about it being a better block are just that stories. Its not true. Its a foundry marking.
    I would not run the aluminum caps. Get steel caps from hot heads if you want to go that route. Blocks are getting expensive. Its all about what you can find in your area.

loudbang, SEAAIRE354 and Evolution like this.
  3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

It maybe the pic but the bores almost look like the engine ran on them and there’s some pitting in one. As long as it’s just a shadow and the bores can be finish honed to your pistons then i don’t see a problem. Is there any documentation on magnafluxing/pressure testing? And what’s your intentions ?do you need the Milodon caps? If you purchase it do you have a shop that can align BORE the block as honing can’t be done with those caps in most cases. As far as the A1 designation some people say there better and some say there not.

loudbang and Hemi Joel like this.
  4. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

thank you
    Im just looking for a block to build, I probably will not use those caps

just need a good starter, and not wanting to pay over the odds or get left with a boat anchor

thanks

loudbang likes this.

5. That doesn’t look like a 1500 dollar block to me .
    Those bores are showing a fair amount of pitting,,,it was bored before,,,and sat for years looks like .
    The bores have recently been honed to remove all the surface rust,,,,that’s all .
    It will require at least a few thousandths removed to clean them well .
    You can have custom pistons made to whatever bore size you need,,,,but those bores there need attention .
    And the outside looks like crap as well .
    There are several others for sell elsewhere that are complete and you would have most of the parts you would need then.
    This block is pretty much a block that was cleaned and forgotten about.
    It is still very usable,,,,,but not for 1500 .
    Keep looking,,,or negotiate it down some .

Tommy

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Without having it checked out, It's just like every SBC that has its oil pan on, 4 bolt main...

7. 4tford

4tford

Check out hotheads swap meet section there are some for sale there one claims to be rebuilt for 5500 dollars and there are a couple that are complete engine originals for 1500 and 3000. You don't really know what your getting unless you look at it in person. I got mine as part of a project and it was suppose to of had a complete rebuild well it was done half assed and I had to redo the whole thing. Buyer be ware!

8. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

I bought a 354 block and heads for 400 bucks with crank so you can get them. I am rebuilding for my coupe and didn't want all of the other stuff. but look for better stuff as 1500 is to high for that block

loudbang likes this.
  9. I scored a complete 354 Hemi last summer for $500. I now regret passing up a standard bore 392 block for 700 this spring. As others have siad, there are far better deals are out there then the block your looking at.

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up two complete, less manifolds, 354s for $1200. Sure the 392 is the holy grail, but $1.5k for a bare block, even if it were prefect, seems a bit steep.

4tford, loudbang and slayer like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Offer $1000 and see if he'll come down with the following stipulation;
    He drops it off at a local machine shop of your choice. You pay your machinist a fee to inspect, measure it, then maybe mag it if everything is looking good and it looks like you'll be buying it.

If you buy it, you pay the seller, then direct your machinist to get started on it if you choose.

If it's a dog, the seller picks it up.

This is like paying a pro mechanic $100 to spend an hour inspecting/testing a used vehicle you're about to buy.

Joel W and gimpyshotrods like this.