Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods USA Made Narrow Front Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Anyone on here know who makes a narrow forged front axle?

2. butch27

butch27

How narrow ? most of them are 47" and some FORD axles are a few inches more...

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Anglia narrow or open wheel narrow?

For my champ car I used a '50s Ford pickup and took five inches out of the middle.

Attached Files:

Just Gary likes this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Twisting the axle will make them shorter. ;)
    SAM_9338.JPG

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just had another 48 inch forged axle I got from Roadster Supply that Anson Axles dropped to 5 inches ended up 46 inches wide. Also had him do a 47 inch axle to 5 inches that ended up 45 inches wide for a customers super low model A. Greg does great work. Jason at P&J's told me the other day they are working on a 4 inch forged 46 inch axle.

pprather, Tim and akoutlaw like this.
  6. jaracer

jaracer

You might talk to some sprint car guys. They can build a tube axle any width you want.

7. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

That first axle really floats my boat! I have a tube axle under my coupe bur that makes me rethink that idea

8. phill

phill

The English Fordson 10/10 van. Looks a bit like a larger Anglia van with a small 37 Ford pickup grill. It has a front axle that looks like a Model A axle but several inches narrower. Pages Chassis Works here in Australia has dropped a few. If you can locate one then you could have it dropped by one of the many who offer the service in the US.
    Phill.

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

tb33anda3rd and AHotRod like this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I cut them down and weld them back together to get the width I need. All have been parallel leaf spring axles, and were either '55-'59 Chev truck, or Econoline axles. One was a Speedway tube axle I narrowed to go under my tiny Austin gasser that needed to be 36" kingpin centers to fit under the 52" wide fenders. Tube axles are super easy to narrow and weld back. Just sleeve them inside with a solid shaft.

AHotRod likes this.
  11. 34Phil

34Phil

12. The traditional way is to cut them down and weld them back. No problem with a genuine Ford axle.
    They started reproducing them in the narrow configuration, first they were forged then China was hired and entered the cast garbage axles.

13. Thanks for all of the ideas and contacts. I have a dropped 32 "heavy" Ford under my full fendered 32 sedan now with an unsplit wishbone.
    Looking to get it down several more inches. I know the unsplit wishbone will have to be split, a new front spring and recontour the spindle arms.
    I never thought about narrowing the axle I already have....

14. Steadfast mfg makes a 5" dropped 45" wide I beam. he is on here.
    Al.