Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Equivalent of Citric Acid for Aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reidy, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Reidy

Reidy

Hello all.

I first learnt about Citric acid for rust removal from the very knowledgeable people that frequent this site. I am now officially a member of the fan club.

I was telling a mate about it today and he asked if there was something similar for aluminum. I thought to myself great question, but I don't know the answer.

So if any HAMBers would like to share their secret brew for cleaning up aluminum castings I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Steve from down under

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Good question. :)

3. And a PLUS if it would help free alum piston and steel pin problem.

Ben

loudbang likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I never measure the amount of citric I just pour it in give it a mix and soak the parts. I don’t think it matters what metal you use it on. it’s very mild

loudbang likes this.

5. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I have an old bottle of "Aluminum Jelly" around here someplace.
    It is Phosphoric just like for steel.

pitman and loudbang like this.
  6. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Depending on what aluminum parts you're wanting to clean I've used Aluminum Brightener, I purchased it from an industrial cleaning supply. It can be mixed with water to the concentration you desire. Like citric acid, it won't cut grease or oil.
    I've used it on the truck and trailer in my avatar many times.
    A quick search shows ZEP products are available in Australia, their stuff is pretty good.
    Note: if it's a dimension sensitive part I'd be very careful.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Best thing out there for Al is good old Easy Off oven cleaner, not the fancy new safe stuff. The issue is it can work way faster than you can pay attention and etch the aluminum beyond repair. On our Bulk Tankers there is a citric acid etch that can clean them after lime and cement dust makes them look old, the problem is, once you use the process you can never go back. It looks like clean aluminum but the pores are now open and it will always get stained and soiled and need the same wash from there on out.

loudbang and klleetrucking like this.
  8. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Easy Off? Aluminum?... Bad Juju there!! AA lost a multi-million buck 767 Pylon due to someone using it to clean up some hydraulic fluid coking.

loudbang and warbird1 like this.
  9. As I said, Easy off works but can goo off too quick. We have been using it to remove anodization since the 70s on BMX components. Best to spray some on and do some quick tests instead of letting it go to long and wrecking the part. Don't doubt 40 to 50 years of real world experience

loudbang likes this.
  10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

32 years at AA. Been around enough aluminum for sure!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

BMX !! My boys did that back in the 90's. Still have a Titanium Black Lite and a GHP hanging in the garage!

Tim and loudbang like this.
  12. Mag wheel cleaner with Phosphoric acid in it ,
    brush it on, it’ll foam up abit the using when scrubbed with a soft brush and hose it off.
    Good for raw unpolished Ali.

loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  13. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Had some stuff I got from the weld shop when I worked for AMF called Alumiprep, it was used to clean aluminum before welding, stuff worked great cleaning my old Harley cast aluminum engine cases.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Gofannon

Gofannon

This stuff?
    ALUMIPREP 33 (169315).pdf (solvents.net.au)

loudbang likes this.
  15. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

loudbang and Gofannon like this.
  16. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Many many years ago , I kept a few cans of a product called “ Mr. Muscle “ . I would soak a carbon covered , piston in a can of it for an hour or so , and God could not determine it from a new piston . This stuff left the shelves many years ago . I have no idea what it was , but it was the best I ever used .

loudbang likes this.
  18. Not quite the same, but sodium hydroxide will etch aluminum. Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in oven cleaner. Sodium hydroxide is also known as lye or caustic soda.
    Sodium hydroxide can clean the aluminum, but the aluminum will be dull. It will ruin a polished finish.

Tman and loudbang like this.
  19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aircraft Spruce has it, but they don’t recommend its use on cast aluminum. Not sure why, perhaps porosity?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  20. clem

clem

I wonder whether you could let them soak a little in Gibbsbrand lubricant, might help.
    - I’ve had success with steel bolts in aluminium housing on motor bike parts, but may not be as tough as pistons.
    Perhaps others will comment.

loudbang likes this.
  21. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Most aluminum cleaners/brighteners contain hydrofluoric or phosphoric acid. Sometimes both. These cleaners brighteners are not all created equal depending on the concentration of the acids. I recently bought some Aluminum Brightener by Quality Chemicals from Amazon. I put some in a pump spray bottle and sprayed it on a bell housing and it immediately started to foam and etched the aluminum to a gray color. That was OK because the etched surface provided a good surface for paint which I intended to do. I bought aluminum cleaner/brightener from one of auto chain stores (O’Reilly’s) and it did very little to the bell housing surface. Most say to dilute with water. The big truck companies use brightner/cleaner to clean/wash bare aluminum semi trailers, fuel tanks, etc but I don’t know the concentration.

Be aware once aluminum is etched it’s a long path getting it back to a polished surface. A safe aluminum cleaner/brightener can be made by mixing equal parts of vinegar and water then adjusting the ratio as needed. Citric acid would probably work well also but I have never tried it. Aluminum corrodes very easily and the corrosion actually protects the surface when it starts to form. If a polished surface is desired it must be protected by wax, clear coat, etc.

Phillips and pitman like this.
  22. As I said! But, since you have the degree in metallurgy I defer to your expert analysis!

Phillips likes this.
  23. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Muriatic acid.
    Cleans aluminum like citric cleans steel.

24. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg Here’s what we used on my dads Truck after washing it, steps, wheels, fuel tank etc. didn’t harm the paint. We’d use a weed sprayer with water and pour a “gulp” in, shake it up and fine spray it on. It would lightly start to foam white a bit, then we’d rinse it off. If we mixed it to strong it would streak a bit, so we’d go over it again and streaks be gone. Sorry for the angle of the pic, the jug is kinda buried;)

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

I worked in a few of different manufacturing plants in the past, which did powder coating. I want to say we used the same phosphoric acid was for both steel and Aluminum. I could be wrong, lots of water under the bridge since then.

26. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Phosphoric Acid when applied to steel/iron forms iron phosphate which is a gray/black coating. It’s an excellent base for adhesion when painting. When zinc and or magnesium salts are added to he phosphoric acid the process is called Parkerizing that is sealed with oil or wax for corrosion prevention. This is the same coating you find on hardware such as socket head screws/bolts.