Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC Short Water Pump Recomendation Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Jul 23, 2021.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hey all,
    Looking for your advice for a replacement short style SBC water pump, need nothing fancy but of good quality and performance for a mild 350 in a '46 Ford Tudor I'm building.
    Been looking at Rock Auto options and they have anything from US$20 up.
    Initially looking at the Gates 41306 and the AC Delco 252581, both are similar but the landed prices in Australia are AU$80 - Gates and AU$106 - AC Delco. The Gates has a better price obviously but is there any advantage stepping up to the AC Delco or something even better. I'm sure that they're all made offshore these days, just need something that will be trouble free/reliable.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I've never had a problem with any short GM pump,new or remanufactured,except once the rear cover bolts were never tightened at the factory and it leaked when I installed it.I always check those now before I put them on.Other than that they all worked fine.

3. It's what's inside that makes a difference. Some impellers are better than others. I doubt you will know what is in your choice until you open it up.

Tman and Deuces like this.
  4. I do the same thing. The pump on my 355 came from Cardone on eBay, so far so good with 13k miles on it. How do you sell a water pump, shipped free across the country for $18 and make $$? This was a new pump, not rebuilt.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I had good luck with the speedway aluminum one... Cheap

6. check out FlowKooler water pumps, revised impeller for better slow speed water movement
    Summit sells them. been using them on the last 5 builds anf worth the 90 bucks.

7. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

AC DELCO part # 252-581

8. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Stewart... Heavy Duty internal parts

TA DAD likes this.
  9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I replaced a Gates with a Flow cooler and saw no difference in how cool my car ran.

Gary

2OLD2FAST and da34guy like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Check, probably too "fancy" though.

11. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for your advice so far.
    Here's the story, I brought this car in from CA to Australia a while back with the SBC conversion done and it had a short aftermarket aluminum water pump fitted. I've been setting up new engine accessory bracketry recently and I found that the water pump pulley was forward of the crank pulley by ~1/4".
    Short pumps should be 5-5/8" tall and this aluminum one was ~5-7/8" tall and it doesn't appear to have enough space to press the hub any deeper so consequently a new pump seems my best option.
    The engine is a mild 4bbl 350/T350 combo so I imagine that any standard replacement style pump should be suffice.
    Being from Down Under I'm really just unfamiliar with what are reputable brands and quality products these days.
    Thanks again for any help that you can offer me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    rbrewer likes this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Stewart times 3

Just Gary likes this.
  13. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

14. Why not put a spacer on the crankshaft pully.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

31coupe If you can't press it on any more, take it off and machine it down 1/8" then try pushing it on further. I've done that before and your belt alignment may not be that bad. There is no guarantee that a new pump will be better. Like dirt Said a washer behind the 3 bolts holding the pull on may also work. Lastly machining the back of the WP where it bolts to the block will also do the trick. Just make sure you have the room between timing cover and back of WP. Good Luck.

Pat

16. figure8

figure8

You may have a corvette water pump. They are not the same length as a SWP

17. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Never had luck with any parts from rock auto. They be name brand but they are second rate parts

18. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for those comments.
    At first I was going to make a crank pulley spacer but I wanted to make everything standard so that if the water pump ever does need replacement and the new one is the correct factory depth I'm not having to modify the accessory spacings to suit it and especially if that replacement has to happen a long way from home one day.
    Rock Auto lists all '66 327" - C10, Belair and Corvettes with the same assortment of part numbers yet I have read elsewhere that Vette's had a different pump height because of their engine mounts or something to that affect.

19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short waterpump's were all the same height. The difference was, the C1 Vette's had the front motor mount sandwiched between the block and the waterpump, (causing pulley mis-alignment) which caused the need for the spacer behind the harmonic balancer, to bring the pulley's back into alignment, on C1 Vette's only. What the aftermarket puts out as far as casting's nowadays, that's a different story.

Algoma56 likes this.
  20. There are spaces for crankshaft pully,
    and water pump.

Algoma56 likes this.
  21. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thinking of stepping up to the AC Delco (GOLD Professional) over the Gates (Standard Replacement) for the sake of $20. It all sounds like corporate promo-sales BS anyway.