Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using a Nova bell housing on a full size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Jul 21, 2021.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I’m putting a 348 with a 4 speed in my 60 El Camino. I think I’ve located a Lakewood scatter shield for early an early Nova for a very reasonable price. Most Chevys have their clutch fork at the 9:00 position. Early Novas have the fork at 7:00. Has anyone tried messing with one of these? I don’t mind messing with some linkage lengths, but if it’ll be a big hassle with moving fulcrum points for bell cranks and stuff, it might not be worth the money saved…. The car is torn down and the Lakewood is far away, so I can’t really see if it fits before I buy….

Thanks guys.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Been there. Find a correct one.

LOU WELLS and joel like this.
  3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Oh man, that’s what I was afraid of…

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have a 67 Nova and I know for a fact that Lakewoods' pricing is crazy compared to their non Nova scattershield so unless you are paying freight charges it would be wise to grab it if it's reasonably priced.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meaning that if it is "reasonable enough" that Nova scatter shield is some serious trading material. If you can afford to sit on it for a while that is.

6. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

There’s shipping involved. I do have a little time to do some trading. Gotta think about it. Thanks for the input!

5window likes this.
  7. I think you'll need the 153 tooth flywheel with the Nova bell.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Being that it's a scatter shield I'd say not.

9. I use either Tri-5 or Chevy truck steel bell housings and nothing else with a stick. The one in my '59 has been in 4 cars so far, only found out on the last install it is from a '55 Chevy.

Algoma56 likes this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've got a '55 bell housing I was planning on using, but then this Lakewood showed up.

11. I like the fact that the clutch can be dropped with the unit in place, plus the starter mounts to the bellhousing and not the block. I use a forged truck release fork, OG to a '66 panel truck.

Algoma56 likes this.
  12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I took your advice and look what FedEx drug in today. Now, I guess I’ll either flip it, trade it, or cut out a window for a 9:00 clutch fork and make a new fulcrum boss. I’ve got a Lakewood in my coupe I can template from.
    73E26955-6DF0-4CE4-B6C6-C906F0E9857D.jpeg

Its not a competition car, so I don’t need to worry about a certified bell and even with two windows, or one welded up, it’ll be way stronger than the factory cast piece.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I knew what the cost of a Lakewood Chevy II scatershield was because I bought one some years back for my 67 and decided not to use it. Ended up trading it to a friend of mine for some chassis work on my roadster.
    He also cut out a 9:00 window in it for his 55 Chevy.

lewk likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Relocating the pivot point/ball as well?

15. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Yes. That looks fairly simple, other than having to buy a big tap.