Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949-52 Chevy one piece windshield trim clips

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Atomic Kustom, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Hay lookin to put a one piece ( Olds type) windshield in a '50 Chevy coupe and need the stainless molding clips to cover the center seam. I know The Glass House in Riverside CA use to sell them but they are out of business. Anyone know who else may sell them???

drdave likes this.
  2. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, just ask for a '52 Oldsmobile windshield.

3. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Not talkin about the windshield. I need a source for the STAINLESS TRIM CLIPS once the center bar is removed to cover the seam

drdave, vtx1800 and 504640 like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Why not use the Olds stainless windshield trim?

5. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Olds clips are very hard to find. The Glass House use to sell repos, I have even used them and they were really nice parts., but they are out of business now. Trying to find out if anyone else carries them.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are no ‘52 Olds windshields or w/s trim that fit ‘49/‘52 Chevrolet (or Pontiac). The popular one piece Olds windshield glass into a like body style Chevy is limited to ‘50 Olds (all models except 98 series) and ‘51 Olds 88 sedans which share the GM ‘A’ body structure. In ‘49 Olds used a divided w/s in all models. I am uncertain if the ‘50 Olds 76 series used one piece w/s or continued with the two piece.

In ‘51 Olds introduced the Super 88 which was based on the larger GM ‘B’ body shared with some Buick models. Both Olds Buick and Cadillac shared the even larger GM ‘C’ body shell on upper line models.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

OK Going to try it again, Just trying to find a source for the clips!!! bump

504640, drdave, vtx1800 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

isn't the trim virtually the same as the chev trim except for the split? why won't the chevy clips work? or is the trim a completely different profile??

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^
    Chev clip has recess for the division bar ...
    First Olds w/s into a Chev I had done, the install guys made a clip out of another old molding with the same curve. It took them 10 minutes.

Tman, drdave and Torchie like this.
  10. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I see he is talking about the part that joins the 2 moldings. yes I would think that trimming and hammer and dolly work and a repolish on a chev part would work? or make one out of flat stainless bent to shape?? I bet if you went to a junkyard that has 50's and 60's cars that you could find something that will work, maybe we are spoiled here as there are maybe a half dozen salvage yards near me yet that have old cars....

drdave likes this.
  12. Might have to get a windshield molding for your Chevy. Then cut a piece are two and make a trim clip

13. I know the parts you are talking about...seems I remember the company being mentioned in a R&C article years ago about putting in the Olds windshield. Bummer they are closed. I got lucky and ended up with the actual Olds pieces. I’ve seen folks do just what the guys above have suggested and made them from pieces of Chevy windshield trim and garnish molding on the inside. If you needed to you could just stick them down with a dab of silicone.

14. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Yeah I can make but this is for a friends car and just buying them is the easiest way and least amount of my my time, I already have a ton of time in it as it is. Heard Chev's of the 40's but don't see them on their web site

drdave likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Try restoration specialties Wimber Pa Slim

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

All '49 & '50 76s are 2 piece, as well as a few early production '50 88s.

Hnstray likes this.