Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Ford Coupe front end installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zoltar, Jul 19, 2021.

1. zoltar

zoltar

Fenders and Hood Grill and top skirts are off my 37 Ford trying to attach them looking for any guidance or diagrams can't even figure out what hole goes to what on the inner skirts to the chassis. Laugh if you need to do but help is appreciated

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never done a 37, but I can see your inner panels have been modified. Looks like they were clearanced for a Mustang II maybe? They might have bent them up at the same time, so fit might be an issue.

Usually with later 30's Fords it's best to fit the hood top to the cowl and get a nice gap there. Then fit the sides up to the top and make them fit at the cowl. Last, put the grille and fenders up to the hood. Now see how they line up to whatever mounting method is supposed to hold them above the frame. On 40 Fords there is a yoke that mounts in the middle of the front crossmember and bolts to the inner fenders above the axle. Maybe the 37 has the same kind of yoke?

3. I did this last year on my 39 standard its similar to the 37, and its a slow process. Having done it on other cars, i can say it is much easier if you are lucky enough to have the original front Sheetmetal the car was born with. @alchemy is right, you start with the hood. Get a good even gap at the back of the hood. Then run a narrow tape line down the center of the hood all the way to the point of the hood and make sure it lines up with the center of the windshield opening. Seems redundant, but sometimes they look right but the back side of the hood edge is not always a true as we think and making the gap even can make the hood point to one side or the other if its off. Once the hood is on and straight, bolt the inner fenders to the fenders loosely, but with all the bolts in place. and the support brackets that go from the inner fenders to the front crossmember/radiator mounts. Next mount the fenders onto the cowl with all the cowl bolts, leaving all but the top bolt closest to the firewall loose, snug that top bolt up, and then put all the inner fender bolts in frame rail loosely. Next install the grill with all the grill support/hood latch bracketry as well leaving all of it loose but the top grille bolt on the front fender edge, snug that one up. now you can put the hood sides on and close the hood to see how it it fits and what gaps look like. At this point you can shift the panels around to adjust gaps and only have to tighten the top bolts on the cowl, and the grill use wood blocks and jacks to hold the fenders in place to get the gaps right. Once the gaps are right on one fender snug all the bolts up except the grill bolts and go to the other side. You may adjust one side and it can affect the other side at time. so check back and forth from fender to fender, and hood side to hood side often to make sure you are not shifting the side you not working on around. Then center the grill up and tighten those bolts up. Once everything looks good and you are happy with all the gaps, get a drill and a 1/8 inch drill bit, and drill 2 holes as far apart as reasonably possible on each mounting flange. Fenders to cowl, inner fenders to fenders ect, ext. These holes are there to serve as alignment holes for when you reassemble after paint /bodywork etc.. I have 1/8 inch rod that i tacked small washers too and use Cliecos to aid in re-assembly and panel alignment after work is done. Those alignment holes with save your ass when going back together. took about 2 days to get mine dialed in how I wanted.

IMG_2197.jpg

brEad, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front of the inner fender panels cross over the frame at the front; may be where the confusion is. Grille/ inner/fender all tie in together at the front. There is no "yoke" to tie it all in. You should also have a panel that sits below and in front of the radiator with two fairly large holes in it.