Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Caddy to stude heads adaptation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteson, Jul 20, 2021.

1. vetteson

vetteson

I have seen a lot of discussion about converting a Cadillac dual quad intake to Stude heads and comments have ranged broadly. Has anyone actually prepared a schematic or diagram of the revisions needed to the manifold or heads of each make (Cadddy intake > Studebaker heads)?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

upload_2021-7-21_8-30-16.png
    Stan Sparrow who designed the Studebaker V8 had worked at Cadillac on the team that developed the Cadillac V8, a mere coincidence the Cadillac and Studebaker V8 intake manifolds and rocker arms almost interchange. ;)
    Fact 960: Pioneering Studebaker speed seekers were surprised to discover that 1955–1956 Cadillac Eldorado dual-quad intake manifolds can be adapted to the 1951–1964 Studebaker V-8 with only a small amount of effort (attachment bolt holes need reaming and hand-cut gaskets are required).
    There are a few members on the Studebaker forum that appear to make/modify/adapt various other manufacturer intakes to Studebaker engines. I've no idea on pricing.

Parts48, 55zephyr, j hansen and 3 others like this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dean Moon was heavy into Stude engines. He co-founded a company to cast speed equipment for Studes, co. name was "STU-V". Early hot rod magazines have ads, and a feature on Dean's Stude-powered '34s, his roadster and a coupe. (5 window? Can't recall)
    Don't remember Stude engines breaking any drag records, but some did O.K. at Bonneville...

loudbang, mgtstumpy and stillrunners like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

The physical fit isn't that different, but the port misalignment is so bad, it negates most of the gain. (Caveat- I haven't actually touched the pieces, but I've read everything I can on the subject) Performance seekers need to look at Deep in hock's conversions.A small block mopar manifold with new flanges welded on is the hot ticket today. Six Pack anyone? The little Studebaker V-8 is a tough, well designed engine that is very heavy and the cylinder head flow is limited.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yes sir, see your PM.
    What can I help with ?

Mike

loudbang likes this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I'm not sure that Jeff is still building the Stude/Chrysler intake manifolds.
    Since the Studebaker to Chevy adapter plates came to be, this is a MUCH cleaner way to go. Many more manifolds to choose from, and a much better port to port interface.

I've got a coupla Jeffs manifolds and a set of the adapter plates. Yeah, the adapters are a better method of putting better intake flow on a Stude engine.

Mike

Find them here -
    https://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=43874#p43874

ottoman and loudbang like this.