Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting whitewalls black, is it possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyfordman, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Remembering the white shoes from the day and some people trying to dye them black. YUCK!

chevyfordman likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try using black shoe polish like Burt Munro, of Bonneville fame with The World's Fastest Indian - pic of real Burt Monro 20210720_132846.jpg

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I use Black shoe polish on my white letter tires and it stands up great!:)

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Painted them for ya DSCN2648.JPG

5. If you are going to black paint the whitewalls, I would suggest they be mounted so whitewall is inside.

I have most of a jug of the Miller latex tire paint. No longer have the car I used it on.

@Flathead Dave , I will box and send you the paint, no cost. If interested PM me your US Mail address.

chevyfordman likes this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Only person I ever saw do that was "Rappin' Rich", when he got fired from his New Mazda car sales job.
    Rich told a lady customer that a new Mazda owner ran a hose inside his Mazda to 'end it all'.
    Mazda ran so 'clean' (no carbon monoxide!) that the new owner woke up next morning after the best sleep he ever had...
    Rich dyed his white salesman shoes black, and looked for a 'straight job'...

Those black 'shoes' really pop on your roadster!!!

7. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

A lot of good ideas which I appreciate a lot. First off, I know the tire has to be replaced, I was looking at a way to skip spending a ton on tires again. Jetnow1 is right on and Thanks for painting them blowby, I don't like the red rims with the blackwalls. May have to paint the rims another color also. They are Nexen tires which I saw on a HAMB car and I liked the look but I see that the tire was made in China. Nexen is supposed to be made in S. Korea now. I have a dealer here but he told me the tire is no longer available in a white wall. The tires are about 7 years old but look brand new. Since we have some really bad holes on our roads, I believe that the tire was damaged by a road hole. My rear tires are Toyo so I will call and see if they make a small front tire. I've had bad luck with Cokers and one Diamond Back which was a vibration from day one and was balanced several times to no avail. A few times I had to have tires balanced several times to get a good ride on other cars. Can you believe Doug's 34 tire, wow?
    I'm tired of buying mail order and having to find someone to mount them and then when you have problems, you're on your own. In the end, I will probably buy 4 new Blackwall tires and paint the rims with some glamor rings added. I don't know if any dealer sells bis ply around here, will check on that as I have bis ply on my 40 with no problems. Thanks again all, love the humor too.

427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

HRP>>>find house paint store that sells 100% flat black acrylic house paint, usually the 100% acrylics have the properties of a elastomeric paint which is designed to expand and contract to weather conditions, it is also used for application over rubber membrane roofing material.>>>

I like this idea best. Maybe buy a quart instead of a gallon. Slop it on with a brush. It'll look good for a long time if you don't drive it much. Slop on another coat if it peels off. A quart'll last a long time if you keep the lid on it.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The disco guys in my barracks would buy the white disco shoes with the fake gold chain on them and after they were scuffed up, they would try to dye them black. Some tried to paint them.
    Glad I never liked disco. I wouldn't have looked good in those shoes.

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Shoe polish was labor intensive and moderate at best. I went around each tire 4 times and ummmm. . .
    It looks like crap

chevyfordman likes this.
  11. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

In the past my friends and I have put the whitewalls inside and painted black with hot rod black.

chevyfordman likes this.