Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Goliath Shock Absorbers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eightballgrifter, Jul 19, 2021.

1. [​IMG]
    Over the last couple of years, I’ve been working on a hotrod shock absorber project in my spare time. I’ve got them to a point where they are going into production and as such I thought it might be of interest if I shared where I’m at here on the HAMB.
    I won’t bore you with all the development details, however, there’s been a lot happening with the shocks of late.

Listening to feedback, from other fellow hot Rodders, the shocks have gone through a number of versions to get to where they are now.
    In brief the shocks themselves are made from high quality aluminum, with a spindle machined to accept a model A shock arm running through an oilite bronze bearing. The spindle acts on a substrate held within the shock body which provides the resistance. The shocks are adjustable for ride quality and resistance by removing the back plate accessing the substrate. The shocks are made and set at a firm ride quality, however by removing a small quantity of the substrate lessens the resistance. This customisability is something that was important in the feedback we received during the testing and development phase.

Over the last few weeks and in the run up to the VHRA’s Pendine Sands race, I had the opportunity to run a set of four on a T modified with the intention of giving them a thorough road test. And tested they were, a combined 6 hour road trip as well as 3 successful runs on the sand at just short of 100 mph later, and the reports look good! The shocks stood up well to the varying conditions and helped the little T onto a class win. Once back home and upon inspection, they continue to give the same performance as when first fitted.
    I still yet might play around with the external finish...this first set were vapour blasted, but aside from that and sorting packaging, they’re good to go.
    Conscious of not wanting to turn this into a sales Ad, I’ll post in the relevant section with prices in due course where initially I’ll be taking expressions of interest against a first order from the foundry.
    Thanks for everyone’s feedback on these as I’ve gone on this journey, it’s really helped, and particular thanks to my friend Steve for putting his trust in them and running on his car.
    So as the saying goes...
    When Ya’ Wanna Go - Goliath

Thanks for reading, Jim.
    www.goliathspeedequip.com
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. Nice looking pieces.

eightballgrifter likes this.
  3. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Nice! I like those, I may be in the market for a set!

4. flatford39

flatford39

Are the mounting holes in line with the Model A. What about a 39 Ford. Are there weight limitations.

5. Hi, thanks for the reply, we did look at trying to keep within the standard model A bolt spacing but it was proving too difficult to achieve what we were after by adhering to it, so we made the call to go with a spacing that worked for this particular shock instead.
    In regards to weight limitation, they are robust little units and are set at very firm from the outset so should have no troubles coping with heavier vehicles.
    Many Thanks,
    Jim.

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the screw on back and tuning feature. Can we ask for a dimensional sketch ,just to know if they will fit a particular ride.

7. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I've thought for years about doing this, a great idea! I would suggest also trying to market them to restorers, not just hot rodders, as the shock situation for original cars sucks.

8. Cool...looks like a good product - good luck with it !

9. Yeah, sure...in fact, it’s the intention to include a “pattern” drawing in with every pair of shocks to make installation easier...

Tim likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd like to know more about the operating principle and the damping characteristics, etc. This is looking like something that can go on a sort of palette of solutions, which might find its way into a very wide variety of situations. It's always good to see this kind of thing happening.

11. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice! I would also be in the market for a set...

12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Those of us with an interest in how the internals of shock absorbers work would also like any info or pics of the guts of it. ;)

eightballgrifter and Ned Ludd like this.
  13. That’s a fantastic idea and good luck with it.

market it to all sorts of industry not just hot rods.

I can see this being used in a bunch of different applications if it’s as adjustable as you say it is.

awsome :cool:

14. banjorear

banjorear

Very cool. Thanks for providing a much needed product.

15. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

The logo is super cool too!

16. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Nice looking units, going to need some shocks soon myself!

17. Thanks everyone for the kind words and support...I’ve been into Hotrods my whole life but this is the first venture into trying to make it my day job. These shocks have been a long time in The making, so I’m really happy with how they’ve turned out.
    I’ll post some further details tomorrow, in response to the questions.
    Thanks again,
    Jim.

Ned Ludd, G-son and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The design looks great , good luck !

19. 8B5106F2-E784-439E-9AEF-AB3E70F2D4C4.jpeg As promised, here is a dimensioned
    drawing for the back of the shock. All measurements are in metric MM.

In terms of how they work at the minute I can’t share too much as there’s possibility of patent approval,...sorry I like seeing that kind of detail myself to! As soon as I am able to share that I will.
    best,
    Jim.

loudbang, Tim, Tman and 3 others like this.
  20. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

That comes to 5.19685". You're welcome. Looks like a quality product.
    Tom

loudbang and eightballgrifter like this.
  21. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

When all gets sorted, please post more info. I'm very interested!

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have side on dimensions please? I can certainly understand not giving secrets at this stage. Off shore would be snooping for sure.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great! Product and packaging/ branding. Cool to see more stuff like this hitting the market from small shops

eightballgrifter and MojoRacing like this.
  24. Garpo

Garpo

Reminds me of the old Rotoflow shocks of the '50s.

25. Yes in fact it was an old non working set that inspired me to make some myself, although the way they operate is different and these are slightly bigger than the A2 ones.

26. Just thought I’d update this thread as I’ve just received the raw castings from the foundry for the first batch of shock absorbers. Bring on lots of machine work and finishing!

Attached Files:

MoePower and Max Gearhead like this.
  27. MM x 25.4, being a machinist had it's perks.

saltracer219 likes this.