Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Extended delivery times on parts ordered?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott's 40, Apr 13, 2021.

1. I think '28phonebooth hit it on the head. I talked to Matt @ Centerville Auto and Tim @ TA Performance, and both indicated Nailhead lifters and SS valves from their sources are back ordered due to supply issues.

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Stuff I've ordered has showed up about as expected until the last few weeks they've showed up later than usual. All things considered not bad. Also, the things I've ordered were parts that were usually kept in stock and not special ordered.q

3. Your points are well taken, and it's obvious by your following here (and elsewhere) that your company is the 'go-to' vendor for a lot of us. I think your business method is the exception, not the rule, and I applaud you for your inventory methods. Yours is the type of vendor we all need, and wish more vendors (not just car parts) realized that good service to the customer is essential to building a good reputation and return business. Thanks for supporting our hobby in a professional, long term manner.

squirrel and Budget36 like this.
  4. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

I ordered a part from Jegs in March and have been told it may be June before I get it. I couldnt find said part anywhere in stock. Good thing I can get by without it for a few months.

5. carbking

carbking

There are some interesting points in this thread, and also some comments from some that have little knowledge of mail order.

Have been in the mail order business continuously since 1974. Would like for some of you to spend a week answering my telephone :p

But as far as stock is concerned, we make every single carburetor kit that we sell. For post-WWII kits, virtually everyone will ship the next day. For pre-WWII items, some of the common stuff (i.e. kits for Carter) will ship the next, and MOST (not all) kits for Stromberg as well. I stock a lifetime supply of base material, so not dependent on suppliers, but at my age, quite unwilling to work 18 hours a day like I did 50 years ago.

If you order a rebuilding kit for a 1963 Pontiac 3-barrel, a tripower 1958 Chevrolet, or a 1947 Playboy, it will ship the next day.

But it you want a rebuilding kit for a factory supercharged Duesenberg, a model T with a Frontenac head, or a Wills St. Clair, you are going to wait while I make it! ;)

The money in advance is another issue. Since 1974, we require a credit card with the order on stuff we make, but do not actually charge the card until the day we ship. Fairest way I know for both parties.

Shipping is another issue. We use priority mail for ALL orders under 3 pounds, most lower value (less than $1000) for up to about 15 pounds. For high dollar orders, or orders weighing more than 15 pounds, we use UPS. Everything is tracked, and we will supply tracking numbers to our customers; but I lose control once I place the package in the carriers hands.

Jon

6. carbking... good way to do business: make things in-house and STOCK what you sell! The current business model is to rely on someone up the supply chain for your delivery and expect them to be your warehouse. A lot of people want to be in business on someone else's dime, and not commit to their customers' needs by investing in inventory. Then they cry and blame suppliers for shortages. Kind of like kiting checks, until the wind stops and the kite falls. I admire your attitude!

7. finn

finn

Looking for a left cylinder head for my ot Superduty. Rock Auto says it’s backordered

Jeg’s at least had it listed, but with a four week lead time. Ends up that many retailers, ie Advance Auto, etc use the same reman house. Called them directly and they told me….drumroll… four week lead time. They have cores, but are swamped with orders

Did a little better on 36 Ford floor pans. Three weeks. Got them last week, but here I am wasting time on the HAMB instead of working on the coupe.

I have never been charged for product before it was shipped. If it’s on back order the vendors I deal with hold the charge until it’s shipped, either from their own warehouse or drop shipped from the manufacturer.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

I’ve had door handles on order for my model A since April, still no word on when they will show. Bolts to finish up my engine from ARP have been on back order since February. Was told I may get them in September or October. But luckily, I have plenty of other stuff on the car to work on till I get my parts.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There are all sorts of really bad supply chain issues and shortages and a general embuggerment of deliveries due to you know what. Sometimes it isn't even necessarily the product itself, the manufacturer can't source the packaging. They can make all the beer (or paint or glue) or whatever, but they don't have enough cans, things like that.

Delivery drivers are in short supply, a lot of people are content to sit at home and spend "free money" versus actually working for a living. For most of us this is a hobby, it sucks, but we're lucky we can get any parts at all. A lot of small to smaller businesses have and will go Tango Uniform, it's baked in the cake. I'd worry more about food, and fuel, and medicines at this point.