Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chromed front axels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harold's Speed, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

Anyone purchased a chromed forged front axel from So-cal or Speedway. I was wondering how good the chrome looked. Not worried about top notch show car chrome finish but looking for solid coverage and presentable look. Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine isn't chrome and was actually one that one of their shops drug around to shows for a while that I got a been drug to shows and it shows it discount on a few years ago.
    They are seriously beefy though.
    [​IMG]

I'd have to say that it was the box that really looked shop worn. It does show it's miles.
    [​IMG]

prpmmp and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. tomcat11

tomcat11

I have a drilled and chromed So-Cal. The chrome is very nice. There are machining lines in the holes and the chrome seems a bit thin inside the holes. Extra polishing and a special plating set up would be required to get in those areas. Not cost effective but still a very nice piece.

4. I have one and as Tomcat11 said this was the only negative which I did not mind, I had to lightly dress the kingpin lock bolt holes to remove some flashing inside them which is probably normal....very happy with the quality and chroming :D

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Buy your forged chrome axle from Roadster Supply in CA. I gotten several from them and the quality has been excellent. Same axle as So-Cal sells.

6. Bought one of their non chromed axles a couple years ago. The king pin bores were so tight that the pins wouldnt begin to go in. Had them reamed to size.Didnt take much,but it had to be done.I wonder if they plug the holes when they chrome plate them.Might be a question to ask them.

7. chop&drop

chop&drop

I’ve got a chrome So-Cal an the chrome looks great. Nice looking axle.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

Thanks for everyone for the responses!
    Thanks Krylon 32 for the tip on Roadster supply

9. Forged

Forged

pitman likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When you purchase one tell them to check the kingpin bore for fit.

11. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

Thanks, I will

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is SoCal and the finish is very nice. Here is a close up.
    (this is the special Alliance Edition, not sure if it is currently offered)
    upload_2021-7-22_10-51-49.png

Hotrodmyk, chevy57dude and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. xix32

xix32

Hydrogen embrittlement ?

GuyW likes this.
  14. prpmmp

prpmmp

How did you get the axle to float in the bed of your pickup??:eek: Pete
    [​IMG]

15. Photoshop!:eek:

Actually it appears to be supported in the center.:cool:

prpmmp likes this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Only on cast axles, has not been reported on forged. Good question, though...the thing to do WAS (in the '70s) heat the chromed axle after chroming, anyone know the heat Fahrenheidt recommended? 500*?

17. pitman

pitman

Forgotten, but needs to set at a certain temp, then s-l-o-w-l-y cool down, as far as I know, any steel when plated is subjest to this.

GuyW likes this.
  18. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hydrogen embrittlement is usually only a problem on parts with a hardness of Rockwell C 30 or more BUT any chrome plated parts can have hydrogen embrittlement. The parts below Rockwell C 30 are just not as susceptible to stress cracking as those above Rockwell C 30. A good rule of thumb is to bake the parts at between 375F and 425F within 1-2 hours after the plating process. The higher the Rockwell hardness the longer they should be baked.
    ASTM B850-98 (REAPPROVED 2009)
    Partial list of hydrogen embrittlement-relief treatment bake times/temperatures for some common high-strength steels

Rockwell Hardness HRc
    49 – 51 Minimum 22 hours
    47 – 49 Minimum 20 hours
    45 – 47 Minimum 18 hours
    43 – 45 Minimum 16 hours
    39 – 43 Minimum 14 hours
    36 – 39 Minimum 12 hours
    33 – 36 Minimum 10 hours
    31 – 33 Minimum 8 hours

pitman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Only applies to high carbon heat treated steel. Reference - grade 5 bolts no problem, grade 8 bolts are at the edge of embrittlement problems and require heat treatment. Axles, spindles, frames, and most other steel parts are in no danger. Chrome away.

20. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

From what I understand it's the Carbon content that effects HE ...... anything higher than 0.3% Carbon.
    1020 mild steel is not usually effected, the steel numbering system indicated the steel type and carbon content ...... 1020 (MS) is 10 = plain carbon steel, 20 = 0.2% Carbon. 1040 means the same steel but with 0.4% C. 4130 means it's a Chrome/Molybdenum steel type with 0.3% Carbon. Most automotive springs are made with ~1055 steel and definitely suffer from HE.
    A friend built his T in the 70's with a chromed Jaguar IRS and he took that straight from the platers to the heat treaters. And it's not just Chrome but any electroplated finish, my brother Zinc plated a pair of high tensile socket head cap screws years ago for this towbar and not long after a very cold night he found the bar on the ground with two snapped off screw heads. He was very lucky because he'd just returned from a trip with the trailer.

21. Old HAMB Metallurgist here. HE is almost entirely a hardness related problem. as stated Rockwell C of 30 or higher. Means heat treated type parts. Carbon content is minor function, it does make it higher hardness.
    Typically HE is mitigated by the after plating bake. Into oven within 1 hour, 400F for 4 hours is kind of general rule.
    BTW, acid processing like a derusting process in an acid solution can also cause HE. It's not just plating.

alchemy and pitman like this.
  22. Reidy

Reidy

I am guessing it is not a traditional forged axle but one of those new fangled axles made out of super lite space age material to keep unsprung weight down ;), or an optical illusion.

Steve

prpmmp likes this.