Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally found the right engine for the 52 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1twisted1, Jul 17, 2021.

?
  1. Run It

33.3%
  2. freshen it up, but stock

33.3%
  3. Rebuild to a 324

33.3%
  1. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Three years into my 52 Chevy Business Coupe build I believe I've found the perfect Engine\Trans combo. But first ill bring ya'll up to speed, bought the car 3 years ago and proceed to redo the body, new floor,inner & out rockers, quarter panels,door bottoms Etc... Now that I've completed that I ordered a straight axle kit from Ron Pope (last week) and started to look for a period engine trans Combo. I found a 58 Pontiac 370 with Hydro-Matic from a member on here problem is, its in North Dakota and I'm in Michigan. This brings us to yesterday when the stars aligned and I was able to pick up a complete Olds 303 with trans that had been sitting tucked away for years. Its turns over freely and looks to have been gone those at some point in its life. Even came with all the linkage and mounts.

Now what to do??

1. See if it fires up, if it does throw a different intake on it (know where there's a 3x2 fenton with 97 strombergs) and run it.

2. Tear it apart and bore it to a 324 and find heads for it.

I know these early Olds weren't big Hp\Tq monsters, how would it preform in the 52 if kept stock with just a intake swap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  2. I don't trust any used engine.

I say machine work and a stock rebuild maybe a hotter cam is a minimum on any engine. There was a reason it was pulled from the car, maybe someone had big plans for a hot rod but more likely it has trouble.

3. squirrel

squirrel

as dirty as it is on the parts that are hard to clean, it probably has a bunch of miles on it. If you can start it up and see how it runs, how much blue smoke comes out, etc that would be fun and informative. If it's not too bad, you might want to get it in the car and set up, but plan on going through it later when you're done with all the metal work on the body, etc.

3quarter32, osage orange and jaracer like this.
  4. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Well here's what she looks like inside, can anybody identify the year from these numbers.

Attached Files:

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you plan on getting the car running and drive it awhile to shake it down before final paint? If so I guess you could try to get the engine running and maybe put it in. Yes, it looks like the heads have been off based on the paint stick dots. That vintage engine heads came off for valve jobs all the time, so don't infer that much more than that was done. Your biggest part of the project may be getting the trans sorted out if you are planning on running it.

squirrel likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

8C should be a 1951 303?

1twisted1 and Dave Mc like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Just a question, the last pic in the first post shows two bolts sitting at an angle along the rocker shaft. I guessing they are for the valve covers? But as I look across the head I don’t see where they bolt in to.
    Just curious.

8. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Yes these are the valve cover bolts

Budget36 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks. Where the heck do they screw into? I’m not seeing it in the pic. Lol.

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would see if it runs.

12. I would try to see if and how good it runs. Then assuming it is good enough, finish the build. Have some fun and plan the high performance rebuild while saving money.
    If not able to get running or is a bad smoker, then consider if making a run for the Pontiac makes more sense.

Tman likes this.
  13. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Freshen it up, see how it runs.
    Attach trailer hitch.
    Attach trailer.
    Go West & pick up Pontiac motor.
    :cool:

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I would have made the drive to North Dakota for the engine I really wanted. That’s just me,not in your shoes

15. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Small bolt hole next to the head bolt

Attached Files:

Budget36 likes this.
  16. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Well just like with what happened with the body I saw something i didn't like and apart she came. Glad i did, 5 lifters where stuck internally, four pistons had broken top rings, the bottom end was covered in rust and pan was full of sludge. block still had the factory GM pistons and is stock bore with wear. On the plus side all bearing surfaces look great.

Attached Files:

17. 1twisted1

1twisted1

As for the comment about going to get the 370. I feel this motor fits my build better as it the same year as the car. that being said the 370 would have to be rebuilt also and from the research I've done would probably cost the same if not more as it a one year only motor 1958.

18. I run a 370 Poncho in my coupe [avatar] because every time my buddy and I raced, He'd beat my 55 Olds super 88 with his 56 Pontiac 316/both cars having slant pan hydros and Rochester 4 barrel carbs. Reason enough for me to drive the miles to buy the Pontiac. 370inlivingroom (1).JPG
    So sorry the Olds didn't work for you. Pontiac stuff isn't expensive....just hard to find. A simple bore job will give you 389 cubes.

1twisted1 likes this.
  19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't see them because those bolts are screwed into the holes where they belong.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Good thing you didn’t listen to me

21. 73RR

73RR

....no substitute for cubic inches......

ottoman and dirt t like this.