Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why does my SB overheat/ run hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Since you’re in AZ you could get away with running straight distilled water most of the year. Coolant doesn’t offer as much heat dispassion as straight water.

2. Budget36

Budget36

But then there’s no corrosion resistance

3. AD trucks have a huge air space above the engine that collects hot air that doesn't get expelled. I've thought about louvering my hood to help get the hot air out.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  4. sdluck

sdluck

He moved the vacuum hose from ported to manifold vacuum and said it fixed the problem.I doubt we will here from him again.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I run water and a corrosion inhibitor in my Chevy II, and I keep it inside it won't freeze in winter. Yes, it can get cold here.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a reason why we use Spal fans at GM for performance and prototyping.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. Never saw any pics of the front of the radiator. Proper shrouding includes both sides of the radiator.

8. sdluck

sdluck

He never answered our question.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is gone… This is over….:)

Tman likes this.
  10. norms30a

norms30a

too bad he's gone, this is interesting.

11. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

They have additives.

12. Budget36

Budget36

But you didn’t mention that. Hence my reply.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The “Corvette” pump is “short” and moves the heater hose to the side, 9 o’clock position, vs. the straight up exit on the passenger car short pump. I’m guessing that the lower hood height on the Corvette forced this change in hose routing, but not being a Corvette expert, that’s just a guess.

On the 68-70 pump, the shaft diameter is 3/4”. 71 and up, the shaft is 5/8” diameter, and 3/16” longer.

14. Also check the hood where it surounds the radiator, if the shroud is not there the fan will pull the hot air back in the front of the radiator. Check rear portion of the engine compartment, the air has to get out at the rear so if there are components blocking the rear air exits the hot air won't get out. There's always, leave the hood at home, louvers or raising the rear of the hood to let more air out. JW

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I see your running a Flex a lite fan.. Get rid of it... Yeah they claim big numbers but those are numbers free flow not on a radiator. Spal and Derale are the two companies who actually test theirs that way.. Those 2 companies are the best electric fans on the market...

Ditch the flex a lite no matter what and things will improve I think no mater what...

16. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Punch some louvers in the hood - let that heat escape.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.48.42 AM.png

17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A really good cooling system T/S includes measuring air flow across the core. The Semi dealers use the Blowby air flow meter and then can compare to oem requirements and power. The electric fan pictured, leaves a lot of core unshrouded. This would reduce radiator efficiency as well.

jimmy six likes this.