Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where did you mount your horn on your hot rod or custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Does a Tugboat sound anything like a Foghorn? :D HRP

WB69 and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rand...Yes there was a Build Thread on the Hotrod and that roof was actually covered in some detail as is the rest...problem is the ravages of redx syndrome have nailed many pics...:oops:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...oject-for-the-wife.464364/page-6#post-5768325

:rolleyes:...BUT...here's a link to the roof fabbing stage...It is Hamber @Koz who fabricates these tops...he worked with Jerry on it and typically they get covered but this one they left bare and I feel it resonates a WW11 aircraft skin ambience...it also uniquely flows much like the Canvas top that graced it as a Sport Coupe...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I am going to mount mine (Model A Coupe) on the inside of the pass side frame rail, like Tom McMullen's roadster.

Just Gary, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  4. 5window

5window

I'm running an Ahooga horn in my A coupe sitting just outboard of the frame rail near the firewall-Open engine, no hood

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  5. Canuck

Canuck

Passenger side frame rail just behind front cross member. Horn is a unknown picked up at a swap meet cause it looked neet. Cleaned and reassembled, 6v horn running on 12v, loud and annoying.
    upload_2021-7-16_23-36-58.png

UNCLECHET, -Brent-, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  6. lostmind

lostmind

@Canuck, I have a horn like that in the classified section , Delco Remy shorty.. You described it right, loud and very annoying. I can't find info on it other then someone told me they installed them on boats at his marina.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Canuck

Canuck

Lostmind, I have seen similar ones for boats, but they had shorter trumpets and were pretty and chrome, mounted on the deck or roof. It was a Swap Meet packing up time buy, I think .25 or 50 cents, vendors asking so he wouldn't have to take it home. He didn't know what it was off. What I could find out about mine when re-building, was possibly 1953 Jeep.

Stogy likes this.
  8. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i’ve a italian accessory horn sitting in my garage … two trumpets and the air compressor… maybe i will mount it as a backup horn on my 41 cad…

Stogy likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

10. BJR

BJR

On my 49 Buick I run the original 6 volt Horns on 12 volts. Loud as hell.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A lot of my daydreaming around the '31 involves going to town on an engine-driven OBA system, and running as little as possible on electricity. An air horn is an obvious part of that, actuated by a physical air valve and not an electric solenoid valve.

I've always liked the thing some French cars had in the '50s, two horns with a switch between them, one for ville (soft) and another for campagne (loud). With my perverse propensity for complicating things I've been wondering how to pull that off with air. The loud horn isn't a problem, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a soft horn! It's looking like a bicycle squeeze-bulb horn hooked up to air via a regulator, i.l.o. the bulb, might do the trick. I haven't been able to find any dB figures on squeeze-bulb horns, though: the closest are reviews on bicycle sites describing them as "not nearly as loud" as more modern options.

I'd expect that all of this would occupy the real estate between the bottoms of the headlights and the tops of the frame rails.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  12. Behind the front bumper.

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

The Stude has a Musket Horn from HornBlasters mounted on the inner fender-well. Sounds like an ol' school Semi.

Stogy likes this.
  14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pair of horns mounted down low behind the front crossmember. I think they were out of a BMW? Small and loud and can't be seen unless your really looking for them. Appropriate thread HRP. I just installed a new steering column and was chasing horn wires yesterday! Plus my buddy just bought an off topic fiberglass car that the horn isn't working on and I am helping him diagnose that!

Stogy likes this.
  15. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A horn was something we all had to have. The CHP patrol car check points were set up all over our So Cal cruising grounds and most everyone had to stop. If it was a cool looking car with teenagers inside, more than likely, it was designated to pull over for a full inspection. Sometimes it was set up far enough ahead that one could see the stoppage and turn around, if something in the hot rod or cruiser was not "...According to Boyle."

When we were messing around with horns on our 1957-58 Chevy sedans, we wanted something different. So, we tried to modify the sound coming out of the horns. The best sound was putting tape over one of the horns for a different sound. It still pointed out to the front and from a few car lengths away, could still be heard with the single horn sound.

We tried all sorts of different connections, disconnecting one and capping both with an old t shirt, to using steel wool stuffed into one horn. Each had a distinct sound.
    upload_2021-7-26_4-12-5.png

Jnaki

What was the one used on the 57 Chevy Bel Air and the 58 Impala? One horn fully functional with an old t-shirt stuffed inside as deep as it would go, inward. The distinct sound immediately told everyone it was “us.” It also made other cars whip around at the unique sound coming from our Chevy sedans when it was necessary to beep the horn as a warning.

We were early sound editing professionals… Ha! As we cut the old T-Shirt strips and stuffed then inward to varying depths, the sound changed. The best sound was a single horn with a T-Shirt stuffed all the way to the back surface.
    upload_2021-7-26_4-12-53.png
    The 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery

So, I had an old Chevy horn sitting in a box during our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery days. I took out the stock horn and replaced it with the Chevy curved horn and immediately stuffed in a torn T-Shirt for the unique sound. It always reminded me of our teenage high school days and the one-of-a-kind horn sound.

But, the odd looks from other drivers was the key to chuckles and being noticed when it was close to an emergency. Was it legal? Once was enough, as we never got stopped for a vehicle check or non-moving violation during the rest of the time we owned and drove the sedan delivery all over So Cal. Because a horn was mounted behind the grille, it made a cool noise. The CHP check point officers smiled and the inspection continued for the rest of the street legal hot rod sedan delivery. YRMV

mitch 36 and Stogy like this.
  17. Blake 27

Blake 27

On the frame just behind my firewall. DSC03734 (2)-001.JPG

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Under drivers side floor---Where the OOGAA sound reflects off the pavement just fine.
    On a funnier note-----There is one mfg. on UTUBE that makes a loud AK47 noise that sounds real!---A slow moving dude just shucking along----When you hit the button & gunfire noise erupts----WOW! you should see him haul ass!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Stogy, Lil32, bchctybob and 1 other person like this.
  19. In Baltimore the sound may cause an entire city block to start shooting back..

Just Gary, Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nation wide had better get used to it!

Stogy and chevy57dude like this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

What’s wrong with me? None of my hot rods have a horn mounted anywhere and I can’t remember the last time I honked the horn on the family truckster. The loosely dangling Ahoogah horn was the first thing to go on my Model A coupe. (Wasn’t working anyway). I do have a box up in the loft full of a variety of horns but none have ever found their way downstairs and onto my cars. Maybe I need to start taking Enzyte….. I guess I’m just a hornless lawbreaker. Smilin’ Bob
    P.S. I have always wanted one of those Bermuda Bells that they used to advertise in the Almquist ads.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  22. Paulz

Paulz

The "beep beep, hi how are ya?" horn is behind the grill in front of the radiator.

The "RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!!!!" air horn from a Volvo semi tractor is under the floor next to the transmission.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I don't have one and I have not thought about putting one. As such if I do need to "remind" someone I'm there I just give a quick blip of the throttle and they know...

bchctybob likes this.
  24. Smoothur

Smoothur

I went for an aftermarket Harley Davidson horn, you know, the kind that's got that classic vibe. But here's the kicker: I wasn't digging the chrome look, so I busted out the sandblaster and gave the cover a sleek black paint job.
    Now, when it came to mounting, I decided to go for the firewall. It just felt like the right spot—easy to reach when I needed it but tucked away enough to keep the front end clean.
    But hey, if you're still on the hunt for horn options or just wanna see what else is out there, check out https://bosshorn.com. They've got some pretty cool horn solutions that might just take your ride to the next level.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My head out the window..
    LOOK OUT!!! :eek:

:D

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

McMullen Roadster Horn Placement.JPG

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking about making mine pretty and mounting them right up front between the fog lamps.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Under the trunk floor, behind the rear axle, ahead of the rolled pan. 6V trumpets on 12V, 2' long, they're LOUD!

29. My Clear Hooters horn on frame rail. JW
    [​IMG]

30. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Train horn mounted in between the brake master cylinder and a '50s police siren under the floor access door. Not sure about legality but they sure are loud.