Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was an excellent tip. I picked up some thin wall copper line too yesterday so I am prepared next time. Hell of a lot cheaper than conical seals from Russell

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

This is a great build thread and your car came out awesome.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

You had an admirer in Battle Ground.. FB_IMG_1626489427516.jpg

4. Where did the exhaust tips come from ???

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well looky there. A lot of cars showed up for the street cruise last night. The event was fun but way too much sitting and not enough driving. There was some overheating I saw but thankfully the flathead was not among them. In fact it idled around just fine. Funny story, they handed out those magnetic signs (behind my door in the pic) when we registered and the smart ass that was helping slapped it on the side of my car and said "they dont stick to plastic cars". He was surprised when it stayed and I told him I used a lot of allmetal filler on the fiberglass. I left it on there for the parade.

I ordered those form a Harley shop that makes them in various diameters. I cant recall who off the top of my head at the moment but I get a lot of compliments on them. They slip in and have a set screw to hold them. Made from aluminum, they give the pipe a thicker and finished look.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I think you should do a Model A now. All the smart people are building them.

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I seldom downshift, But when I do it's next to a prius so they hear me hurting the enviroment;)
    i like the sentiment

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife says if I am smart I will stop bringing cars home. Hmm, dune buggy vs A...

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the buffer dude cleans the truck up, I changed vehicles this week. I had a short knock out list to do on the roadster. I swapped out the chrome steering box for a new Borgeson unit, pulled off the carbs to swap the bodies for the chrome plated ones I had done and then it was on to the door jams. I used these plastic ones years ago and I have always disliked them. They look cheap.
    upload_2024-2-22_15-13-28.jpeg
    I was going to make new ones but these fit the car very well, especially considering the carpet trimming.
    So I pulled them off and dug up my box of left over leather trimmings. Grabbed some 3M 90 spray adhesive and covered them in leather. As you may have already guessed, I took that brushed aluminum strip, buffed it and turned it.
    upload_2024-2-22_15-17-10.jpeg
    I had these "pinto" door sill stickers that I chopped up until only the oval remained.
    upload_2024-2-22_15-18-9.jpeg
    And stuck them on the only spot wide enough to hold them.
    upload_2024-2-22_15-18-46.jpeg
    Classy! Next up I am going to cover up the gas tank in the trunk. That is going to be fun!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

100% better

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The paint was starting to wrinkle on the Strombergs, so I fixed that. Or rather Chrome Troy, Clive and @uncle max fixed that. I just did the R&R. Another winter project done.
    upload_2024-3-7_15-25-10.jpeg
    So, I finished the trunk, door jambs, replaced the steering box, chromed the carbs, all it needs is oil change and it's ready for summer...after a few more months of rain.

Tim_with_a_T, SS327, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  12. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one of my favorite builds on the HAMB......cool

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy I did the same thing with an engine turned strip for a door sill. I like the Ford emblem though. Nice touch!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Much appreciated

I still want to turn the aluminum shifter plate to match the sills and the gauge surround. Maybe tomorrow.

GordonC likes this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya mean like this! :D

20200624_202742.jpg

Bandit Billy and Tim like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that's the ticket!
    I got all verklempt detailing the truck so I needed a break and went got mine off the roadster just now.
    upload_2024-3-9_14-6-51.jpeg
    Polished it up a bit and over to the drill press for some uniform scratching.
    upload_2024-3-9_14-7-33.jpeg
    Much better. And Back in.
    upload_2024-3-9_14-8-19.jpeg
    I always meant to that, so it matched the gauge insert but frankly, I didn't know how until I read a thread on the HAMB about it. Now shift panel, door jambs and dash look cohesive in design.

Word to the rookies, start on straight stuff, round stuff has a lot of free hand involved.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! I like detailed things, noticed the dimmer switch in the proper place, why the powers that be changed the location is a mystery without an answer.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

with 3 pedals it is the only real estate down there accessible with a size 12 shoe! Been used too. Those old reflector headlights, even with halogen bulbs aint all that at night. I think the fog light throws a better beam.

GordonC likes this.
  19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks great Billy! I free handed my overflow bottle. I am feeling ya!
    20240309_205118.jpg

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless someone had actually tried a round surface, they would not understand the issue! Not bad! I tried a rounded fill cap and ended up sanding and polishing my mistakes out.

Tim and GordonC like this.
  21. atch

atch

Billy,

I thought my public-school education was pretty complete. BUT, NOOOO. You made me look up "verklempt". I'm not going to post what it means. If someone doesn't know he/she will just have to either look it up or wonder what it means.

Bandit Billy, charleyw and loudbang like this.