Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah those domes more in line with the 23deg 461 thru 292/034 castings. What cc are the RHS.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

3. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha..64cc...with plug moved in for better efficiency.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yes it is at a different angle also. The relieving around the intake valve gives a fairly different chamber shape also. I originally was going with my 292 turbo castings /etc/etc but when we went aluminum head on the willys motor that then left these in inventory so you know what happened. There is such a thing as having to many options.lol

5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had that problem with camshafts. Wondered why I bought 3x of the same grind?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Had a chance to set the 292s on with no gasket. Like clock work. Gotta change to 7/16 rocker studs. I didn’t realize how much the difference was until I had them side by side on the bench. The reason I have the end photo is that I just discovered something. The name Batten mean anything. Thinking I’ve heard that name before.

Attached Files:

7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Batten remember that name when reading hot rod articles..

I've found it difficult to locate speed shop that ports cast iron heads. Brzynski still, always the cast iron intake master.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I have done my own for years and used the manual that we used to buy over the counter at the Chevy dealership. ( used the inside and out side calipers and all the stuff that Uncle Marion showed us) Learned a little is most times better than a lot. Uncle Marion would put them on his flow bench and check them out and we would plan out things by the flow numbers and his suggestions.
    I will never for get the lesson I got on a set of 601s verses 462s. That was what I call an eye opening education.I pick up every set of 601s I can if not much money.

Deuces, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok they are on. Had to ream the head bolt holes slightly /clearance the studs. Also had to machine the bottom of the rocker studs. Will torque and get ready to measure so I can order pushrods.

Attached Files:

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Need a set of 150 longer pushrods . Looks like the valve train should live. No clearance issues or misalignment issues. The cam is fairy mild. By today’s standards.

Attached Files:

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Lifters are in. Got a few more things done. Waiting on pushrods.

Attached Files:

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rocker studs installed /torqued. New pushrods checked. And I set up at zero lash and rotated a few times to ccheck for quideplate problems. All good. I then back off the rockers. I was always told that if it’s gonna sit a while make sure to do that saves the springs

Attached Files:

13. loudbang

loudbang

Why do you use different rockers on the Intakes and exhaust? No oil holes on the intake ones?

Deuces likes this.
  14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Oil hole exits toward the trunion at almost a right angle on the solids. ( also a different brand.)( Had them a while. I do know that the bearings for both them and the competition cams rockers can be bought to freshen up at Dixie Bearing here in Tupelo - it’s not as hard to match up as is sometimes told over the phone. Funny thing almost all of them (as in brands) use the same one. . )1.5 and 1.52 ratio also . I played with this years ago with small cubic inch stuff and and it worked out pretty well. Plus for no more lift and the nature of the old 155 Engle roller get a little more out of it and not change duration/or basic characteristics. Have a older design rev kit that I use to use. It allowed the least spring required and didn’t eat parts. 150 seat and 350 open is all that I ever had to use. Even up to 7500.May use it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today’s work. Need to do some machining to let spacers clear the nozzles and I am also going to put the breathers on the front of the valve covers. I got to make new tops for them. The lines have to run the same as the valve covers. Sorry my ocd is showing

Attached Files:

Deuces, rod1, blownhemi48 and 4 others like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Machined injector clearance on the valve cover spacers. Finally remembered the balancer bolt. I still may make another cut on the spacers I’d like a little more clearance. But at least nothing is touching.
    Fuel pump mount for the bullet that is bound for the Opel Kadett. Let’s just say it’s back underway and leave it at that.

Attached Files:

17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished the clearance machining for the valve cover spacers.
    Decided to try and change the appearance of the breathers I am going to put on the front of the valve cover. The fins /mold lines need to either match the valve covers or disappear. So they disappeared. Lol. Gonna machine the edges round tomorrow belt sand and buff. Give them that look. Yes I am going to get some stove /round head X1/4 bolts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Much better. :)

Deuces likes this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. I know the breathers are polished. I am going to bead blast them and get that as cast look to match the vette valve covers. Still need to drill several 1/4 holes through the front of the valve cover so the breathers work. Will use epoxy and red lock-tite to make sure things don’t leak and or back out and wind up where they don’t need to be. We are going to use standard head (7/16) x 1/4 to secure everything for one reason. Everything else is using a standard bolts. I am one of those people that despises having one off fasteners Because it Never fails to need to be worked on away from home where you don’t have those special wrenches.

Attached Files:

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

may need to round the top?edges some more so it matches the valve covers.

427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Belt sanded the tops of the breathers and drilled the grate in the front of the valve covers and shaped the breathers to fit the curved front of the valve covers.
    Bead blasted everything and washed. Then Bolted the breather on using epoxy/jb kwik as the gasket sealer. Loctited the bolts so they can’t come out at the wrong time. Yep the spacers needs to be bead blasted also now.
    Rev kit came in and we should be able to button up pretty soon. I hope. 6BE60682-AA40-486C-95D7-36DF7CE0156D.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok here we are. Got them sealed and checked for proper. Line up on the studs. The finish turned out the way I wanted. The rev kit is next. And then button up once and for all. I hope. Lol

Attached Files:

Deuces, tomkelly88 and loudbang like this.
  23. Looking good sir, first time I see breathers like that. Very cool setup there.

loudbang likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

The whole shebang looks real good. :)

427 sleeper likes this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for the compliments . Started off as another type of breather. Lets just say a milling machine is a dangerous thing for Mick/Wessie/ and Me to have around . We would have really been in deep if we had one of these 30 years ago.
    Now if the dang rev kit will cooperate. Its hitting the vertical cross bars between the lifters when they go through a cycle. And these spring cups were the ones on these lifters. May have to take the ball mill and clearance them. Not hard just a pain.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok test fitted a set. Should work only 14 to go.

Attached Files:

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rev kit installed. Ready to install injectors and valve covers and call it. Kinda ready to get on with transmissions.

Attached Files:

GlassThamesDoug, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Injectors installed and installed the valve covers/spacers. Will pull covers back off mask and paint. The fins on timing cover will be wiped down with thinner/ etch primed the pan. Putting a new bronze gear on the mag also. Will post pics Saturday
    Transmissions are next

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    GlassThamesDoug, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

I worked for Batten Performance in the early '90s.....

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Batten is stamped in the ends of the heads. Lot of work done for the time. The only thing that wasn't done was porting through the push rod wall and copper sleeving/ epoxy like we used to do with certain heads back then.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021