Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Honeing King Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larry Kiesler, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Larry Kiesler

Larry Kiesler

I have a 52 Dodge b3b and need to replace the king pins. I live in Grand Junction Co. about 250 miles from Denver and can't find a machine shop at home that can hone the king pins. Does anyone know of a machine shop in Denver that still hones king pins? I have tried the P15 D24 Dodge web site without luck. Probably need a hot rod shop. Thanks Larry

2. squirrel

squirrel

you need an old shop with a Sunnen rod hone...right? I guess the problem is finding someone who knows they can use their rod hone to size your bushings.

ottoman, Tman and dana barlow like this.
  3. I took mine to my local speed shop and had them dome on a Sunnen machine.

4. Last time I had mine done at the large truck repair shop.

5. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I have the sunnen hone that squirrel mentioned and a pretty good selection of mandrels. I’m not sure what size the king pins are on that truck but if I have the rite size and you wanted to ship the spindles half way across the country I will help you out. Are there any large truck shops in the area ?Maybe you find can find the rite old timer with the correct adjustable reamer.

Budget36 likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day when I didn't know any better, I installed new king pins and bushings in the Ford spindles I used on my "T" Bucket. I fit them using a brake hone. I never had a bit of trouble. I think I lucked out.

7. CJ101

CJ101

I just went through this on my 51 Ford Shoebox. I'm in Ontario Canada and we just don't seem to have the Hotrod resources the US seems to have. I tried my machining contacts and I didn't get anywhere, so I ended up buying a piloted reamer (see below). Other than I had to pay for a one-time-use tool, it was super easy and worked perfect. Nothing on my build has gone as well as reaming the kingpin bushings went! I took it slow and made sure not to accidentally ream oversized and the pilot works better than I could have imagined.
    upload_2021-7-16_13-18-43.png

8. As mentioned try a large (semi) truck and trailer shop. Talk to a mechanic there.

Truckdoctor Andy and Tman like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You may be able to buy just one reamer that will cover your K P size. They really work very well. Try McMaster-Carr..

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I can give you some names but no phone numbers of guys in tnat area, that might have the info you want.
    Ron Leslie at BG Products in Denver area.
    Butch Salter
    Bob Marcheese.

11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I always reamed them. Borrowed a king pin reamer from old Ford Dealership. I am sure these are all gone now.

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

Dusty, the hotrod builder in Rifle will do it

Tman likes this.
  13. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

you might want to check with a tool rental. They might have a reamer like the one shown in post 7.
    I have used these, and they work real well.

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

Last time I had one done, about 15 years ago, it only took a few minutes, and was pretty cheap. I’m sure the ol guy knew what he was doing. He probably retired 10 years ago. I have used a reamer before. Really nothing to it. Just don’t remove too much metal on the first pass. Test fit until it slides in just right.

15. wulf powis

wulf powis

Look up adjustable reamer on ebay they cost 30-60 dollars [​IMG]

measure king pins for size

16. wulf powis

wulf powis

look up on ebay they cost 30-60 dollars adjustable reamer. measure your kingpin and purchase accordingly
    [​IMG]

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

THAT ^^^ is not for reaming king pins. A reamer for king pins has a small diameter end, which is the pilot for the other end, and long enough to reach thru both bushings, thus a true straight hole thru both.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This one will work but you need the extension and the guide to go with it.

I've done easily over 100 king pin jobs in my life and I prefer using an adjustable reamer as the one above. I can easily close in on the exact size I want and I can get the exact fit and clearances I desire.

20. Hot Rod Bobs40

Hot Rod Bobs40

You need to use the correct reamer for your axle, those adjustable ones are crap and you will end up doing it again

rusty valley likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

My little bro has an adjustable reamer with the pilot end on it, and I think it is better than a set size reamer. We've done a half dozen sets in the last couple years and we can make every spindle fit the kingpin exactly. If the kingpin is slightly under or over size, we can make the bushings fit perfectly. We've even touched up dropped axles that had their holes buggered, and now they perfectly fit the kingpin.

alanp561 and blue 49 like this.
  22. Larry Kiesler

Larry Kiesler

Thanks for the responses. I tried Whitts. He could not do it.
    Nor did he know anyone in town that could. I could not find Dustys in Rifle Co. I won't use an adjustable reamer. They are worse than one made for king pins.
    I may contact seaaire354 if I can't find anyone in Denver that Pete1 mentioned.
    I appreciate the help. Larry

23. What they said: Sunnen con rod hone. Does both bores simultaneously and on the exact same center. Leaves a perfect finish for a palm press fit. Had hundreds of truck spindles done with one.

irishsteve and rusty valley like this.
  24. When I started working on trucks 30 years ago, I was properly taught to use an adjustable reamer. The key to success is to not take too much out in one pass, and ALWAYS use the pilot on the end. When I started with my current company 23 years ago, we have the Sunnen rod hone and use it for kingpins. Both ways work fine, both are accurate. To be completely honest, I still prefer hand reaming kingpin bushings.

TagMan, alchemy and rusty valley like this.
  25. With all the oil and gas on the western slope there is somebody that can do it.

26. rusty valley

rusty valley

I have the correct reamer, and yet I prefer to have my motor guy do it on his sunnen hone. Even new or NOS pins are generally not perfect, about a half thou difference is common. With the sunnen, a skilled operator will see that, and fit the pins proper, and tell you not to mix them up...the bushings are matched to the pins. I suppose, with a pilot attachment, and some skill, an adjustable reamer may get the same results, but the finish would still be ruff compaired to a honed surface. dusty in rifle, works at the county maintenance shop, not a business , but he will know where to get it done and he is just down the road. he is the welder for the county, and has more 33 34 fords than should be legal

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  27. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354