Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 46-48 Brakes on an A axle ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Jul 15, 2021.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Would 46-48 brakes work on an A front axle or should I use a 32 I have? What's involved if used on an A?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. 55willys

55willys

To install 39-48 hydraulic brakes on a Model A rear end you will need to cut a notch in the backing plates to clear the spring perch. The other issue is that the brake line will have interference with the shock mount on top of the spring perch. Cut off the shock mount and it will fit pretty well. Others have rotated the backing plates to clear this and redrilled them. The only problem is that it makes bleeding the brakes a bit difficult. Finally you can buy the kit from MT products that spaces out the backing plates and brake drums. This will widen the track of the vehicle. Hope this helps.

3. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Great explanation Thank you I will print and keep it for later. I meant on the front axle

4. Didn't you ask this about 3 weeks ago?

5. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I don't so. I went back to my post till Jan. I wasn't thinking about that till now.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can use 37-41 spindles or 42-48 spindles, on a Model A axle ( or any 32-48 axle) just use the kingpins for the year of spindle. 39-48 backing plates can be used on any of those spindles. Backing plates are all the same, the bottom mounts on 39-40 are adjustable, later ones are fixed.

55willys likes this.
  7. 39-48 front brakes can be made to work on stock A spindles if thats what you have.Parts suppliers sell a centering ring to mate up the two. Bolt holes need to be slotted on the backing plates.

55willys likes this.
  8. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Thanks everyone I'm learning about A's

9. I think a Chevy 235 piston ring will serve as a spacer

10. manyolcars

manyolcars