Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does zinc additive turn to sludge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bad idea.....

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

There is a difference between STP now and 40 or so years ago, I think it started when they put it in a bottle, recall it used to be in a canister thing you pulled the top off. I assume they “thinned” is some to get it out of the bottle.

anyways, oiled mains/ect at start up is the key. The cam is up for your best flavor.

3. homey chromey

homey chromey

I know that Lucas Hotrod oil is a paraffin base. It also is extremely high in zinc. About 2200 ppm from what I understand which is overkill. I have heard too much zinc can leave harmful deposits. I spoke with shell oil about 2 months ago and he assured me Rotella has about 1200 ppm of zinc and straight 30w was about 800ish. My machinist stated that 1200 to 1400 ppm is your happy place. Rotella T-4 is conventional T5 is synthetic blend and T-6 is a full synthetic. I personally run Rotella 15/40 in my flatheads and Valvoline 30w racing with zr-1 in just about everything else and change oil every spring with a Wix or Napa Gold filter.

4. 20210715_204709.jpg
    Why do you think i did it ;) as far as I know, every small block Chevy that i ever put together is still going. Done them all the same damn way :D kinda like @Moriarity with tires and point style ignitions, my oil has always worked, that makes it traditional. I used the bag of cam lube that came with it if that makes anybody love me more :) we'll see if it works out. Gotta get a cam lock plate, so i quit for the night.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Sky Six, Moriarity, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  5. Hello Lloyd,
    Great to see it,,,,nothing like a sweet old 283,,,,,,,one of the best SBC engines in my book .
    And yes everyone,,,,I know it is still just a small 350,,,,,but,,,there’s something special about a 283 .
    I can’t explain it,,,,just a great engine,,,,very durable,,,,and very strong with the right build up and parts .
    Also,,,,I feel the same about a 327,,,,,there is just something about those two engines .

I’m sorry ,,,,I know it is not logical ,,,,,but,,,then again,,,I’m not Spock ,,,,LoL .

But,,,the engines from that era from GM,,,,,were excellent quality.
    Forged cranks,,,,forged rods,,,,excellent blocks and machine work,,,and assembly .

Tommy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. Hey Lloyd,
    Make sure to post some more pics of this build,,,,,I’m watching,,,,,,I just love to see fresh metal assembled into an engine .
    Or better yet,,,start a thread with this build,,,,,it will be very interesting I think .

Block and crank look great so far,,,,,I really like the timing set as well,,,,it’s hard to beat a steel silent chain setup .

Tommy

7. Wassup Mr. Tommy! Hope you're feeling good ol buddy. Plan was to get the timing cover and oil pan on it before i quit, but i couldn't find that lock plate, or my blue loctite!! Firehouse tmrw, and busy schedule Saturday, but I'll get back on it Sunday. I told Jamie at the machine shop to get me a timing set, oil pump, and gasket set, i didn't specify double roller, so i didn't recieve one lol. Again, it had a single chain in it since 1963, guess it was good enough huh lol... i need to get it in the car this coming week, lot of good local shows coming up!!

mad mikey likes this.
  8. Lock plate,,,,?
    For under the cam bolts,,,,,I never used one in a factory setup,,,unless it was very hot .
    I think I always used lock washers,,,I can’t remember,,,,my SBC days are way back.
    And with my medication right now,,,I might not be remembering the best in the world,,,LoL .
    Oh yeah,,,I’m doing good,,,,had chemo today,,,,so I have several days ahead of the usual side effects.
    Don’t worry man,,,I’m be fine,,,,LoL.

Tommy

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Oil pressure : 10 psi per 1000 RPM is what I was always taught . You want to see scary put a pressure gauge on a Harley ! 0 psi at idle . But they have roller ( needle ) bearings and a dry sump . I put a gauge on one years ago for one ride , removed it . My nerves could not take the “ pressure “ !

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Dave i had a 49 panhead and tried quite a while to find a guage that read low enough and screwed it on the pump. This was a fresh re-build. Then I realized the manual said 4 psi was fine at idle. It bothered me so much I pulled the pump off and apart and used a piece of glass and sandpaper and milled the pump housing and cover and ended up with a whopping ten lbs. :D Then the primary chain oiler was drenching the primary chain and had to screw the chain oiler all the way off. :p

mad mikey and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I just thought since we were on the subject. lol:D

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I use the stuff as well. But only on rod and main bearings and the engine never sits in storage afterward.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! I don't think I'd freak out about the zinc so much. JMO.

14. XXL__

XXL__

Were you out of canola oil?

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

All we ever used was straight 30 with a bottle of GM E.O.S. Run it for a few hours changing rpm but never going over 2000.. Making sure all the push rods were spinning.

16. That's all i use it for as well.

loudbang, mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. XXL__

XXL__

And the occasional emergency use when you've run out of Pomade.

18. I'm a dapper Dan kinda guy

19. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi

Looks overloaded with break-in lube then zinc additive also ? Double trouble and triple with a period of five years . Zinc additives adhere to the porous iron and inhibit proper oiling . Oil just won't stick to the metal because you displaced porous pickets with this additive . And motor was also fattened up with the moly that is the little dollops . Whatever you do don't add anything to your crankcase but straight oil . I recommend Castrol 10/30 and a new filter and do it again in 100 miles . The loss of oil pressure well it's possible it all muck in your oil pump so if you continue to have oil loss your pump may have had enough . Oil galleys are narrowed from all the foul additives . Zinc additives a good in plasma coated motors but not for our older iron blocks . That my experience at least . Just keep changing oil and filter out every 100-200 and pray your pump and galleys all clear

20. Thanks man but i gave up on that thing, it's coming out, I'll buy a lottery ticket every now and then, but i don't like to gamble on an iffy engine. I didn't put it together, so I'm pulling it out :D;)

AGELE55, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. Lloyd,,,,,the dude looks great,,,,,it should run like a “,,,stripe,,Ed ass “,,,,,,LoL .
    Good old 283 !

Tommy

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local legendary old time engine builder around here would use nothing but 90w gear oil for assembly lube. Never heard of one of his engines failing...but his shop sure did smell awful...:eek:

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

One thing sticks out for me the engine had zero oil pressure but with an oil and filter change it had pressure. Ether the new oil washed some crud off the pump pickup screen or your filter bypass does not work.

24. I'm gonna put my chips on the square that says new bearings might have been stuck in there, maybe not, but no clearances were checked. Parts were bought from the machine shop, and heads were redone there, but the rest was a half ass attempt at a rebuild. Do I win? We'll never know. But when i tear it apart I'll let everybody know what was going on.

25. XXL__

XXL__

Oh, it was definitely rebuilt...

713894glhdL._AC_SY879_.jpg