Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's Chop 50FRAUD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Damn man, I love how you guys are able to envision the end product then able to achieve perfection with the metal work to see it through. Impressive skill set, vision, style, execution, Thanks for taking time to share in detail with us here !

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Aside from it being a 2 door hardtop, I don't love the roofline and wraparound rear glass on the Victoria.

This now has a much more pleasing profile and the rear window looks great. The way customizing should be done.

3. I agree, I always thought the Victoria looked like the afterthought that it was.

Outback, Dedsoto and 50Fraud like this.
  4. 392

I like it. Lots of skill and tons of time which I have little of both.

50Fraud and Special Ed like this.
  5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've always liked the Victoria, but I thought it could be better. What we're doing now is realizing that notion.

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I'm not a big custom guy but one can't help but admire all the talent that went into this and the final results. Funny, but on post #10 I would have been tempted to keep the donated roof section longer for a visor - flows well in the one pic. Keep up the good work. Fun to see these skills in action.

7. An I am happy to be a fly on the wall watching!

8. DRD57

DRD57

0EE2D7FB-80A5-4921-8C90-3D90F3F5AD9E.jpeg F472633E-E940-47F2-8421-23544426D6EF.jpeg

Good progress this week. The top has been skim coated with Rage Gold, sanded, shot with the first coat of Southern Polyurethane’s high build primer and guide coated with cheap flat black spray bombs. Now it’s ready for some block sanding.

Outback, brEad, Shadow Creek and 19 others like this.
  9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great, thanks for the update. For some reason, my phone received four pictures with this post, but the computer only got two.

10. That's a good looking roof.
    Did you use the filler direct to metal or epoxy prime first?

Outback likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being, and having been, a "shoebox Ford guy" since the late 1950's. I have to say I am sorry, but I don't like it. Not for any aesthetics reasons, but the original "50 Fraud" has been around long enough to become an icon if the world of custom cars and shoebox Fords.

I don't care how well it turns out, in my opinion, we have lost an integral part of our history.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  12. DRD57

DRD57

Bare metal was epoxy primed before application of the filler.

The37Kid likes this.
  13. This thing is rad…fuck history, cut it up! You guys are rocking it.

14. Thanks Don.

15. More car posts please. Love it.

Stogy likes this.
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm flattered that somebody thinks that 50Fraud is iconic and historic. As far as I'm concerned, the project was based on a whim in the first place (what if...?) and it's still eligible to have whimsical modifications done to it.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhh, remember what one of the subsequent owners of the "Kookie Kar" did? Change for change's sake is seldom a good idea, It seems to me that "a sense of history" is a large part of what this site is about.

I will emphasize that my opinions are my own, and in no way reflect on what the builder (who does seem to have good taste) wants to do with HIS car.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  18. The difference is this one is just getting better.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Every single vehicle on this forum had a "history" prior to being "changed" into a hot rod and/or custom. You need to choose a lane here, pal. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    fef100, Tman, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are not concerned with that history. This is a traditional Hot Rod forum, not a family album.

I think my lane has already been clearly chosen.

21. a pleasure to watch.

and........ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TONY!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Birthday @50Fraud...Cake, Candles and Customs is the theme of the day...Have a Great Day...;)

25. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Maybe I missed it are you painting the roof the same color as the rest of the car?

loudbang likes this.
  26. DRD57

DRD57

Yes, the whole car will get a fresh squirt of Polo Green.

27. Yeah but Jim Street had NO TASTE and bastardized the Kookie T!

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read my post again; aren't we saying the same thing?

Any hesitancy I have about this has nothing to do with taste, but with losing what I consider an icon among shoebox Fords. I may be a little premature with this, but there was I time that every car now considered an icon was just another Rod or Custom.

In the case of the "Kookie Kar", I think that was driven by change for change's sake with no concern for taste.

29. But, the Kookie was one of a kind. Tony's Shoebox is/was awesome but easily recreated for someone with refined taste and control. It also still belongs to Tony so he can modify as he sees fit. I personally think the new version is even cooler. Now, if he comes back in 10 years with canted quads installed he will need a throat punch but until then......;)

Outback, fef100, Jim Bouchard and 6 others like this.
  30. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

That color looks so good on it. Like you I can’t wait for it to be painted