Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traction Masters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Feb 16, 2021.

1. I ordered a pair for my Falcon..they’re suffering from lack of workers like many other businesses out there. It took a little over 4 weeks for them to ship, but they are on their way…I wanted more than slapper bars and less than Cal Tracs…so these seemed like a good fit and they were used bitd by many Ford racers…mine should be here Thursday according to tracking and hopefully put on by Friday or Saturday…

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Still waiting on mine... and I called.. the gentleman was super apologetic and yes..... they are in the works,.. steel and supplies have held them back... not worried.

3. RmK57

RmK57

If you use Caltracs on a 57 Ford you must section a small piece of the frame so the inner triangular plate can move freely. Plus the 57 uses a 2" wide spring and not sure if they make Caltracs for a that narrow of a spring.
    I have Caltracs on my 57 Custom and they work great. A tiny bit of noise when they engage or rattle over a bump, but no biggy.

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  4. Jeff did you order from Traction Masters or Metro Parts? I tried ordering direct for several days, nobody answered the phone, found them listed at Metro Parts in Ga and ordered them there..and of course after waiting a couple weeks I called direct again to see about orders being processed and of course the guy answered..he said they were way behind in orders and to please be patient…

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@loveoftiki
    I ordered direct from Traction Masters... and the first call was picked up by a pleasant gentleman who took my order.
    As mentioned, I called last week and the same fella answered and was very apologetic, due to the low resources of material during this pandemic.He assured me all was good and my order was coming.I saw both web sites and I guess I got lucky from the Burbank location.
    When you get yours,... please report back and give us an update.That would be awesome!

J.

6. Will do…showing delivery tomorrow..hoping they still put the gold sticker on them..

7. Well they’ve arrived…Gold…nope….gold sticker…nope…Box is still cool and I’m happy to have gotten them. They seem pretty stout and I think I’ll leave them black…might see how much a sign shop would charge to make a little gold decal with that script to put in them…I’m a detail guy 781A477C-6C74-407F-9B4E-93916520740F.jpeg 8F4C9A81-EC49-47A6-9F5B-DF3E96A79A40.jpeg

jnaki, fauj, alfin32 and 8 others like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

IF you run slicks and do hard launches keep a close eye on the single shear front end mount. I tore one apart not unwelded or bent but pulled the mount apart like it was cut with shears with a 67 390 mustang 4 speed.

fauj, Desoto291Hemi and Jeff Norwell like this.
  9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

loudbang likes this.
  10. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

amazing that after 60 plus years they still only come with a single shear front mount. I would
    definitely recommend a retainer strap to prevent them from dragging on the pavement
    when the front bolt breaks

11. GuyW

GuyW

You didn't ask, but I'd be inclined to add a half-length of an additional leaf spring to the front spring pack and clamp the front portion of the leaf springs....that's traditional too

12. Haha…after looking at it all I think I’m going to hold off mounting them..I need to replace my springs and adding these won’t compensate for original springs. I also think adding frame connectors would be wise to do prior to putting these on…they kind of meet in the same area..oh well may be I’ll paint em gold now…
    I’ve got a set of vintage Lakewood clamp on the spring traction bars I’m getting from a friend and I think I’ll run those in the meantime..he ran em on his 64 bitd

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  13. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

We're on the same page, here. I have a sagging driver's side spring needs replacing first and the subframe connectors are on my list as well. They haven't gotten back to me on the '63 plates but looks like it's just a matter of time. Was thinking about fabbing a double-sheer bracket up front to bump behind spring eye if the bars aren't too long. Any idea what that backset would be? It may not be doable.

Joe

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  14. 92912EF8-7540-4615-96BF-782C1A3CA6FC.jpeg
    Joe…mines sagging on the drivers side too…Wife took a video of me on the street and I noticed I got a little lean…strange I don’t see it in the garage..and yeah I’m 6’4 250, but I wouldn’t think that would do it..also hoping this could be just a weird camera angle..I’ll take some measurements this weekend...I figure that will be a winter project..and the Traction Masters will find a spot in my stash till next Spring..the Lakewood’s will get me by for the next 3-4 months of car weather we have here

fauj, loudbang and Joe Travers like this.
  15. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Pretty common if the springs are original. Heck, I had light 60's Fords that sagged back in the 70's-80's. Appreciate the measurements, if you have time. If they are still lagging by the time I'm ready, I may fab a custom pair in a buddy's shop.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I did the exact same thing as well..... I bought a 6 spring HD package with new bushings and such... upgraded the entire rear spring set up on my 57... they were the standard 4 spring factory set up and after 50+ years... they were sagging.I can;t remember the company I used. but Eaton has what you need...
    The bars look great.

Joe Travers and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Looks totally straight here..looks at the line near the back window..but that snapshot from the video makes it look like I should be listening to 70’s funk music while rolling down Whittier Blvd..
    8EF43FD0-7A0F-444A-BA3A-BEF25D4383F5.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  18. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Hard to tell parking on a street with curb and gutter. Grade pitches toward the curb for drainage. Park it on a level surface and measure from pavement to top of wheel well, then you'll know. You want to do that anyway before you weld the front bracket to the frame. I bet you can preload the spring if it isn't too bad by jacking the low side until it is level and weld it up. I wouldn't try that with a single sheer bracket, increases stress.

Joe

19. owen thomas

owen thomas

fullsizeoutput_c0f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_c0d.jpeg Still have the Traction Masters I bought for my '56 Olds 2-door, hopped up, stick shift, back in '59. Don't have the Olds anymore, never installed the bars, now hanging in my garage. Still have the stickers.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

That's a nice looking Falcon.

A few months ago, there was a Hemming's article about seven Canadian 65 Falcons that came from the factory with the HiPo 289. Ford America, however, did not allow American Falcons to be so equipped. Interesting story. The article also said at 2300 lbs, the Falcon was lighter than Mustangs. I think the latter weighed in at about 2800. 500 lbs is a big difference.

Ford Performance has a bored & stroked 351W that's 460 cu. in; it uses a Dart block. I seem to recall the price being about $11,000. That will get your Falcon moving down the road.

21. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

My buddy Jay put a 585 hp 427 crate engine (based on 351) from Compitition Product in his Falcon, it ran 11.17 first run out of the crate ;) The new owner told me he is in the 10s now. Glory Days 2019.jpg

GuyW, rod1 and RmK57 like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Does your wife know that you've been letting Gilbert Grape's mom drive your car?