Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot rod magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Jul 12, 2021.

1. 5window

5window

Sounds like you owe Dean Lowe a beer or a grape Nehi!

loudbang likes this.
  2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

When TEN did away with the other MAG's I was subscribed too. I said when my subscription ran out on Hot Rod I was finished with them. I believe this last months Hot Rod was my last one. I have no interest in digital magazine's or even how to access them. When they "gave " me digital access for free as a so called replacement for the three mags they just cancelled, I could never get logged in to see or read anything. So needless to say I was a LOT PUT OFF! To put it nicely. Rodders Journal is the only publication I get now and I guess when they are done I'm done with print media. Not by choice but by force. The conglomerate fat and happy companies have zero interest in what their consumers want it's all about what they want you to see and have access too. I too have a bunch of older copies of Hot Rod, Car Craft, Street Rodder and others that will probably hit the recycle bin in the not to distant future. As we prepare for the down size of life. Twenty years ago when we moved in here I pitched a bunch of old mags and car related publications and the next purge isn't far away I guess. Just like TEN purged their subscribers so I guess what comes around goes around so to speak. Joe

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Like lake-harley, I got my first subscription to Hot Rod (and Car Craft) in '64 when I was 11. As disappointing as the recent slaughter of most printed mags is, I like flippin' through the pages don't want to read my mags "on line".
    My Hot Rod subscription has recently been renewed for two years, just like my subscription to Hot Rod DeLuxe was when they killed it. (That kinda pissed me off) Oh I got the on line Motor Trend option offered to me, but what am I going to do with that? I don't own a bird to line the bottom of the cage with it.
    I'm hangin' in there for Rodders Journal and get Ol' Skool Rodz via subscription.
    What's the world coming to?

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

As a teenager along with my crazy buddies, would call a garage ask for the Service Department and then read to them one of the technical questions that were in a section in the back of the magazine as though it was a problem/issue that we were having with a car that was obtain from them.

williebill and 5window like this.
  5. 5window

5window

So, what happens if someone forwards the e-subscription to you?

6. 5window

5window

The May issue had a pretty extensive article on e-turbos which, although not immediately applicable to hot rods, is pretty cool technology which clearly helps cars go faster, which is applicable to hot rods. It took me more than 5 minutes and was worth more than 50 cents.

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

19560201.jpg My Hot Rod Magazines Run From 1948-1970 And I Read Them Over And Over...

8. Not sure, still figuring out all this technology.

9. Brando1956 i like your post. I now get 'the Automobile' outta England. Nice paper, clean layout, good writers.
    The other one I get is 'Restored Cars' (aussie). Eddie runs a rodder-friendly car most issues. I have most back to '73, and I'm really into them lately. Plus quite a few of his 'Custom Rodder', which folded 25 years ago (started in '67). We have a couple of good local rod/custom mags down here with widespread distribution.
    Still see 'HOT ROD' here on the newstands. Gotta say, $ exchange is making it tough on USA mags down under these days.

I do enjoy Drew Hardin's 'Hot Rod- all the Covers' and an old 'Best of Hot Rod by Petersen.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  10. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I have to come to Hot Rods defense in a way. I am subscribed until 2024, why so long? Because I had subscribed to other mags and they were cancelled so they got rolled into Hot Rod. They only cost about $10.00 a year less than a buck apiece. I can usually get some throne reading material out of them, and once in a while something really cool, but many issues nothing that interests me... But for the price? I think it's worth 90 some cents a issue. They seem to be trying.

5window likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were little, Hot Rod Magazine was the go to source for inspiration and knowledge. It was the first magazine that my brother and I read as we went with our dad to the local liquor store to get his newspaper addiction fulfilled. He was an avid reader of everything printed in newspaper form. He did not want subscriptions to our house, (or ones, wet with moisture, or torn from the concrete driveway, etc.) to read at his leisure. He wanted a clean, non folded newspaper form.

So, we were always tagging along to get our fix of hot rods and custom cars in the different magazines. This went on until we could drive ourselves and then the hot rod subscriptions showed up on our front porch for quite some time. That form of delivery continued until we went off to college. By this time, the magazine and drag racing coverage was shifting and it started to wane as far as interesting facts and stories. My brother used to read the tech articles time and time again. I loved the photographs and articles on the newest/latest hot rod or custom car from, usually, So Cal.

For me, the tech articles just did not have the same attraction as a nice photo shoot layout and information on the build. (perhaps this was the start of a future occupation or at least an inkling of enjoying photography) So, I bypassed those articles as I knew my brother would bring up a topic or two during our discussion days. (The only one I remember is the one on a 1957 Studebaker with the cool fins and a supercharged motor)

Jnaki

The time when the magazine started to change just happened to be the time period we were away from the current scene. The magazine was still the one to open when we passed a magazine rack anywhere. “Old habits die hard…” So, we had other activities to take over our daily lives and fun weekends.

What became of the constant reading of the Hot Rod Magazine waned as the supplied photo articles submitted continually got rejected for “not being on staff.” The articles were well written, the photos were top notch and together, it made the displays in other publications. (Just not in Hot Rod Magazine.) The articles were geared to the style of writing and photographs presented in the magazine. But, did not get accepted for one reason or another.

So, leading up to the current days, the only time the magazine gets a second look is when we are/were in various bookstores. The magazine racks are a great place to sit and enjoy what we used to like to read back in time. But, the pandemic put a stop to that episode of enclosed spaces and whatever happens.

A digital edition with a subscription would solve the continuation of the avid subscribers. It would allow new ones for those that just don’t go out, during the pandemic. Once subscriptions are of equal value, more people would possibly see the advantage in this form of publications. For you hard core fans, digital would mean even reading on a 5 inch phone screen if you are hurting for a fix. Ha!

Would I go back and subscribe? I don’t think so… It is getting old hat to see photos of fake street hot rods and mild customs with huge wheels bordering on those “donk” cars. It is not HAMB 100%, but that is good. The percentage of HAMB style cars are getting as limited as old hot rods showing up at the neighborhood Cars and Coffee events, in these pandemic times.

During our family history, the subjects became varied in the things we liked to do prior to the pandemic restrictions. The Hot Rod Magazine is in its last hurrah and we all know it. Published periodicals were great during our days, but currently, they are dinosaurs waiting for the next comet intrusion. Even free, makes no difference other than in landfills or high school auto mechanics classes…which is another dinosaur making its last rounds… YRMV

12. I sent Dean a conversation and ask if he would mind signing my copy of the magazine and he was most obliging and has signed them here in the States and overseas.

I'll add on to the story when I get the magazine back. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  13. I use to read hot rod magazine starting in the late eighties until the ninities there is a guy on YouTube that goes through his old lowrider magazines.He occasionally goes through his hot rod and custom magazines.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've subscribed for the past 25 years... These days, some of the content is hit or miss, but subscriptions are quite inexpensive!

squirrel likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo