Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. I had a couple minutes free yesterday so I double checked the fluid level in the differential. Looks good. Just a slow drip out of the weep hole.

Hopefully we can get out for a cruise this week.
    I can wait to get back on the road!

Attached Files:

loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  2. Hello everyone.
    Just a quick note to let y'all know that I'm doing well. Not too much accomplished lately.

We checked the intake manifold bolts. They haven't been tightened since they were reinstalled last fall. They needed a bit of a snug. Hopefully between those and the idle speed changes we have solved the return to idle issues.

Got to get out for a cruise soon. Everyone is beginning to call it the invisible hotrod as I haven't attended an event yet. I'm building my courage as I've become very scared of damaging the car after so much hard work. My car guys are very supportive. They said that fear doesn't really go away but the only way to fight it is to drive. This problem is far better than last year!

Thanks for the wonderful support and encouragement. I'm really proud to be here.

Attached Files:

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Drive the wheels off your car! I built my Roadster and had less that 200 miles on it and we took off on a trip off about 7 hours one way! Got there and back just fine. I love your car, Gary original do.jpg PS it has about 30.000 miles on now!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  4. Yup no point having them if you don’t drive it.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Sonic Tontitown July 6, 6:15 pm. Just sayin'!

6. Hey Nick ,
    Don’t fret the little things .
    Don’t overthink all of the improvements,,adjustments,,,,and modifications you have made .
    Don’t worry about damaging it,,,,,it will be fine,,,,, they can be damaged just as bad by not driving them at all .

You have rechecked the gear oil,,,it was fine .
    You have re torqued the intake,,,,it is fine .
    The entire car looks great ,,,and I’m certain runs just as well .
    If I had a hot rod like that,,,I guarantee I would be getting all the seat time I could .
    And here is the reason why .

I have not be well lately .
    A few close acquaintances here know about my recent fight with Cancer .
    A few months back I was blind sided,,,,,and was bed ridden for a few months.
    Had surgery,,,,and am currently in treatments .
    I’m not crying about it or looking for sympathy,,,,,,I’m going to be fine !
    It has taken about all the money I had saved for the medical co pays and deductibles .
    Again,,,,no crying here,,,,just a lesson .

If you don’t enjoy this car while you can,,,,,don’t worry,,,,something could spring up and you won’t be able to at all .
    I have a different outlook now,,,,,if I was able to afford a hot rod,,,,,you had better believe I would be burning rubber and gasoline,,, getting all I could out of it .
    It’s a beautiful car,,,,,like these guys said,,,,they were made to be driven .

You and your family use it,,,and have a good time !

Tommy

7. Budget36

Budget36

Give it hell Tommy.

8. Absolutely! Thanks y'all for for the great perspectives.

Tommy. Sorry about those difficult times. You have an excellent point.

Go Kick Cancer's Ass! We're rooting for you Tommy. It just wouldn't be the same around here without you.

9. Budget36

Budget36

No worries. He chews iron and spits out 16 penny nails.

10. Lol,,,,,Thanks guys for the encouragement !
    And I wasn’t trying to hi Jack this thread,,,,but to just make a statement.
    Nick has worked long and hard on this rod,,,,and it is awesome .
    But,,,it needs to be enjoyed to be really appreciated .
    You need to enjoy it,,,,your wife needs it,,,your kids too .
    I have seen immaculate show cars that were so nice and perfect,,,, and a lot of capital invested .
    That no one would drive them for fear of hurting it,,,,and that’s truly a waste .
    Because,,,it can all change in the blink of an eye .

Also,,,,,most people don’t think of the pleasure that other people get from seeing these old cars driven around .
    I always have a smile when I see any old car out and about .

Yes,,,,drive it,,,enjoy it,,,,,and also let other people receive the pleasure of seeing them as well .
    Go for it Nick,,,I’m pulling for you !

Tommy

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good for you

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

exactly

Nicholas Coe and 57 Fargo like this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. Thanks for the invite Duncan! It was a beautiful day. This was my first time bringing the car out with other rides. I was so very thankful to be there. Good memories! Thank you all for the encouragement.
    (Here's a few pics of the car. Duncan is there in the black shirt. I'm there in the white "Milner Racing" shirt.)

Attached Files:

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It was great to see you and your car, Nick. Lots of HAMB-friendly cars and HAMB-friendly people, hanging out and having fun, as usual (to quote Milner).

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Milner wouldn't be caught dead wearing KNEE Hi BLACK SOCKS with sneakers. :rolleyes:

17. That's just me brother. I'm odd!

ottoman, rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  18. You see Nick ,
    I told you to drive it and have fun,,,,,it’s works doesn’t it ,,,LoL .
    I’ll bet a lot of other people were smiling watching it drive by as well .
    It looks great man,,,,,Congratulations !

Tommy

19. Any updates on how the AG coupe ran? idle ok? good maners in traffic? happy how it runs? (stops??) any new "quirks" to track down ( rear end lube is ok ?), only asking onna counta I love your car!!! thanks

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Ya. Add thick glasses and folks would think Toad wound up with Milner’s ride;)

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  22. Nice.... Thanks. If it wasn't for friends like y'all I wouldn't have any! Thanks for the ego adjustment!

loudbang, Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

More than a few people driving down Hwy 412 saw Nicks coupe and quickly pulled into Sonic to have a closer look. And I am pretty sure if Milner wanted to wear black socks, he would wear black socks. No one tells Milner what to do!

24. Budget36

Budget36

But not in short pants;)

loudbang, Nicholas Coe and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  25. Thanks for the defense Duncan. Good references. I'm pretty difficult to defend.

26. The car did surprisingly well. The brakes and steering are excellent. No problems at all. The rear end was pretty quiet. Maybe it is improving slowly after the fluid change. The car accelerated great. The motor is a very healthy little rat! Only real problem now is the idle. Our throttle linkage is still binding. It wants to hold idle at 1500 to 2k. I can pull it up with a tap of my foot under the accelerator and it idles smoothly. We're going to work on that tomorrow. Thanks for the great support and encouragement. Y'all are the best!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  27. [​IMG]

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  28. Yesterday, Rob and I took a few minutes to check the throttle linkage. He adjusted the driver's side stop point of the linkage. It was holding that side up when returning to idle.

We are quite suspicious now that the linkage may be slipping. Each time we readjust the linkage so it is buttery smooth only to see it sticking again after the car sits for a couple weeks.

Other than driving the car more what should I do?
    Should I spray it with WD-40 before start up?

loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  29. Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  30. Thanks! I'll get some and try it out.