Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

i was a 3rd shifter in a gas station and "some times" this quote would be wrong ....lol :cool:

2. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

My dad when i was a kid crying about something I did not want to do,He would say "If you put as much effort in to doing it as you are in to crying about it , you would have it done already"

3. This one's likely been posted before......
    but the classics are always worth repeating.

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Setting and holding a standard is not racist.

5. jnaki

jnaki

"The more your read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn,
    The more places you will go…" DR. SEUSS

Hello,

When our son was a little toddler, this book: “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut” by Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss was one of his favorites. He (we) did not own that book, but had to check it out numerous times from the local public library. We could not afford to buy it out right as a new book. But, each week, our trips to the library was turn in one copy and check out another copy.

He would listen intently each time and by the time he was reading by himself, he was in a world of wonder. But that whole series of Dr. Seuss books gave a funny way to see things that most parents would like to show and give their young children.

His library was small in the beginning, but gradually, we were able to not only buy books for his daily reading time, but when he sat next to us, that was his creative version of how fun it could be for him to be in each story we read to him. When he started to enunciate the words in the books, we read together and it helped immensely. (Neurological Impress Method)

Jnaki

All through his schooling, he never had a problem with reading at any level. He became a voracious reader and it was hard to keep up with new books and topics. But, the library was always a great place to go to borrow the mass quantities of books on all topics. When it was possible, we bought him a new book.

When we were able to afford to buy more books, he had his own library on a low shelf, next to our stereo system and our own bookshelf filled with records, books and photo albums. he would read for hours, play some music, play with his toy soldiers and finally his little cars.

Reading works and continues to this day. It was/is a lifelong learning experience for everyone. The idea that everyone has heard… “it is great to curl up with a good book and read endlessly…” is a fact of life. We never get tired of reading. Leading up to “The more you learn, the more places you will go…” rings true. YRMV

6. topher5150

topher5150

"Don't do that it hurts" My dad always said that to be a smart ass, and because he thought it was the funniest thing ever, but there's a lot of truth to it. So much of the time we get in our own way and let ourselves get hurt

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. j3harleys

j3harleys

A friend use to say ( Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit ) when we were trying to cobble something together

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

i have this, just encase any one asks if i lost mine...lol DSCN0849.JPG

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  9. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

welll...humm if the earth is spinning at 1037 mph and you are driving east to west,at 55mph...then Dam your moving fast!

Boneyard51, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. My Grandfather went to sea at 14, the last thing his father said to him on the dock was " If you're going to walk your dog in the rain, always wear a macintosh"
    It was years before he worked out what he meant...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. If you can't be good, be good at it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

At work....Never be late quitting early.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. If you can't be good, be careful!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

"Normal" is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Dad used to say, "If I wanted to hear from an asshole, I'd of just farted".

17. jnaki

jnaki

“Take stock in the completion of the days end, in knowing that tomorrow is yours to make.”

Hello,

This was something that my brother and I had during our construction of our 1940 Willys Coupe. He had it planned out which job was next in line and what the next day’s jobs would be. We had never taken apart a completely running car and separated everything from running to torn apart for the modifications. All while, having the motor build taking place just steps away inside of our backyard garage that we modified for this purpose.

The Willys Coupe fabrication and modification took place mostly outside on a concrete pad. When it got too hot, with the blazing sun, we stretched out a huge painter’s canvas tarp and tied it to our mom’s outdoor metal laundry drying T-Poles. When we needed taller clearance, we used several tall poles poked into the dirt and grass to give us more headroom. (Like a Boy Scout tent structure out of poles and canvas.) But, usually, we were sitting or leaning over the frame in the shaded structure, etc.

Despite the fact that our friend had a running 1934 Ford 5 window coupe with a big Oldsmobile motor in place, we kept at it to create our own first drag racing hot rod. That 34 Ford was already a trophy winner in the early A/Gas class, so our goal was to make our build just as efficient and complete with what we could afford.

Jnaki

Our initial build was planned out from my brother’s perspective. He was itching to fire it up and get going. But, something told him to do the right way and make the modifications and get everything ready. In other words, no short cuts, but the right way to construct what needed to be done for the drag racing rules and our first Willys Coupe. Isky cam, polished heads, aluminum pistons, 6 Strombergs on a 283 SBC was the starting point.

upload_2021-7-23_3-46-11.png

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Sage Quote.... 9780760316276_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

35desoto, Glitchy and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

“Show her now that we do care
    With a hope that we all share
    Send her a thousand cranes
    Send her your thousand cranes…”
    Words by the Jazz Fusion group, Hiroshima

Hello,

Cranes are a symbol of peace. My wife and I have always been peaceful 20 somethings when we met and continues to this day. It was a great way to look at something we would want for the world, but for us, during our lives together.

When asked what we wanted at a family gathering or party with friends, the question was always asked… “What do you want in your lifetime?” World Peace… We did not want future young generations to get their lives cut short for any reason.

The “One Thousand Origami Cranes” legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand Origami Cranes will be granted a wish by the gods. Some stories believe one is granted happiness and eternal good luck, instead of just one wish, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury.

The crane is one of the mystical or holy creatures and is said to live for a thousand years. In some stories it is believed that the 1000 cranes must be completed within one year and they must all be made by the person who is to make the wish at the end.

Folding 1,000 paper cranes gives a person a chance to make one special wish come true. The crane is believed to have a long life and that is the meaning behind 1,000 an individual needs to fold.
    upload_2021-7-30_4-33-11.png
    from mild to wild, the design is endless…

Jnaki

The paper crane is a symbol of peace, love, and hope, and healing during challenging times. Let the paper crane remind you that you are not alone, and when everyone holds this same intention, we all stand for something greater.

In this trying time of the pandemic, we all need to stick together for a common cause, do everything possible to help stop the rage against others, as well as ourselves, and get it over with during these hectic times…

1000 Cranes

Peace, love and harmony to all… Stay Safe.

Boneyard51 and '28phonebooth like this.
  20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My opinions are as good as your evidence.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

My dad liked to say: "Innovate, improvise and improve."

22. jnaki

jnaki

“Life is like an endless stream of battlefields between everywhere and nowhere.”

Hello,

As a teen, we were all trying to find a way to fit, have fun and be a part of society. Sometimes the path was done for us and we just filled in the cracks. But, it was not necessarily our own path. When it came time to make some decisions, it was up to us as to where it was going to lead us.

College, job, military or just traveling around, were some choices. They weren’t always ours to make. If I did not go to college, then I would have to go to the military. If I got a job, sure as heck I would end up in the military. So, things were pointing towards a career in the military.

There were some things that as a 20 somethings we just needed to see for ourselves if that was the way to go. Our thoughts and ideas were beginning to shape up and we began to see the world. But, how far does the world reach in and directly influence our lives? Do we let it affect us or do we find a way to work with what is required and do the best we can?

In the hot rod world, the big names were in essence dictating what hot rods should look like with the infusion of lots of money. The awards were nice and the cars were spotless, but most were out of reach for the average 20 something with a limited income. So, we began to accept and work around it, as it was necessary to have something that only we liked and would be proud to drive around.

Our social lives were a mish mash of personalities. Some had radical ideas, some were sheep and just moved along with the closest dog guiding the way. So there had to be some sort of middle ground or individuality in all aspects of life. Do we need to like country and western music or the big band sounds our parents liked? Or do we go our own way? Do we drive a foreign sedan/coupe or stick with our hot rod roots? Or both?

Our families were a part of our lives, but sometimes, our ideas were not aligned with their way to meld into society. We wanted to be individuals. With my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in high school, I had to build a big block wall to ward off the comments of “Salmon Pink.” It was called, A modified plumber’s parts truck, a Salmon Pink Helms Bakery Delivery Van, etc. Those were part of the tons of comments flowing toward me. Being a teenager, it was slightly disheartening as the comments came from what I thought were friends.

Jnaki

But, smarter thoughts and ideas of our own came into play and those comments were seen in another light. It was an unusual hot rod to have for a teenager, especially in the field of Chevy/Ford Sedans and custom cars. The Sedan Delivery paid off in droves for my ideas and adventures. It was home away from home and allowed me to see different parts of the world, through a “Salmon Pink”, reliable surf transportation that gave off good feelings every time I got behind the wheel.

As 20 somethings, we moved to our own speed through thick and thin. A cool hot rod helped us establish our own way to see things and enjoy life.

“Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
    Time may change me
    But I can't trace time
    I said that time may change me
    But I can't trace time” David Bowie

While time may change us, we weren’t going to live in, worry about or waste time regretting, the past. Being together, the future was bright, for a couple of 20 somethings just getting their lives in order. Our lives were going to be in any direction we choose. What a path it has been since 1966. YRMV

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. "Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink!" W.C. Fields

24. I learned this from Forest Gump not a real person or a blood relative.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Thor1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. atch

atch

That old Forest was quite a philosopher wasn't he?

26. indeed.

27. jnaki

jnaki

“Life does not always give us the opportunities to find happiness or to find that someone to share that happiness.”

Hello,

All through junior high school and especially high school, I was active in sports and hot rods. There were a few girls that were really into drag racing and hot rods. So, the future seemed rather dim. I thought the opportunities had to start from friendships in high school and build from there. Everyone we knew were about in the same boat and were lost little sheep looking for some guidance.

The one couple that got married in the senior year is still together and always wins the “longest relationship” award from those silly reunions. But, for most of us, it took several years, getting to meet different people from all over and exchanging new ideas we learned along the way.

The surf trips, the rock music and new friends took over the idea of relationships. If it happened, then it would happen. We were not hoping for someone to drop in place and make life more enjoyable. We all hoped, but there were new things to learn and explore.

My wife and I are lucky or it was just in the cards. Who knew I would meet someone from OKC in college and hit it off instantly? She sat in the back of the same class with big name baseball players and other athletes. I was sitting in the front row with this fabulous looking girl I had known for several years. Her boyfriend and I were also good friends.

So, it just looked like we were a couple walking together to class and afterwards. It was interesting that those athletes were interested, but she was just oblivious to everything, if she took off her glasses. We laughed about it all of the time later on in the relationship.

Something clicked and the first day of the new semester, we had some coffee and a great conversation between classes. We have been together since 1966 and from that class that we had together. It evolved into a life-long relationship for both of us.

Jnaki

So, all of the teenage worry was for nothing as life evolved and something hit in an instant. That “whatever” hit both of us at the same time and we have enjoyed every minute of the life we created. YRMV

Someone did share the happiness…

28. jnaki

jnaki

“Old age is not for sissies...” –BETTE DAVIS

Hello,

When we were little kids, we never thought we would grow old, like the neighborhood grandpa that walks down the sideways in front of our Westside Long Beach Craftsman house. That was way beyond our vision. Then as we started junior high school we began to see more older folks everywhere we went in Long Beach and Los Angeles. But, again, we never gave it much thought that that was what all young kids go through.

Then while in high school having dinner with my friend’s families and being introduced to my friend’s grandfather was something. There were old folks that were in the circle of friends. One of our favorite "old guys" was this character from Seal Beach that we met and traveled to Baja Mexico many times. He was an old surfer and was out riding waves just like us teenagers. He was an inspiration. His son became famous as a surfer/shaper in a outstanding surfing movie.

So, into college and beyond we met more grand parents on my wife’s side. But even as 20 somethings, getting old was something we did not envision for two healthy “outdoorsy” people. When we did see older folks, we made a promise to keep healthy and do what was right in our lives. Surfing lifestyle kept us happy and in tune with healthy bodies.
    upload_2021-8-20_4-9-47.png
    Now, in 2021 it has been over 53 years of being together and the old folks are front in center. We are the old folks. Those memories from back in the kid days, teenage days and even the 20 something carefree days kept us going. Now, they are great memories and we are in the throes of a terrible pandemic along with being old folks.

Jnaki

Wow… it does not seem fair that we have great memories, grew up to be nice people, parents, and grandparents. But, we are constantly fighting the good fight with our bodies. Time is taking a toll on those athletic bodies. It is not for sissies to stand around , while feeling terrible dealing with creaky bones and joints. No, not those kinds of joints. For as long as we can, we will deal with our maladies as they continue to show up regularly.

So far, our 15 year old (105 yr old) dog has a funny thing going, sometimes the back leg does not follow the fronts and he kind of sits down when least expected. Well, we are not that bad, we are mobile and relatively healthy. We are not sissies thinking about what lies ahead. It is always one action at a time and we do what we can together, as it has always been that way. YRMV

'28phonebooth and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. 6sally6

6sally6

From my old Navy days...."Well-suck-me-silly-with-a-handy-billy"! (Handy Billy.... a Damage Control portable sump/bilge pump.
    6sally6

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    deathrowdave and Boneyard51 like this.