Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spool gun options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Scott

Scott

To all the welding gurus
    I have a couple of small aluminum repairs to make and I don’t want to make a large investment. I have a millermatic 180 and I’m looking for a less expensive option for a spool gun. Nothing ever thicker than a hole in an intake manifold. Wink.
    So if you know of anything that will hook up or can be made to work, please let me know
    As always Thank you H.A.M.B.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve a spool gun I bought for my Miller Vintage 25 or so years ago, never used it. Check and see if it’s compatible. Also have the “module”? Thing as well. Forget what that sucker is called.

3. Scott

Scott

It’s discontinued and has a 10 pin connection,don’t think it would work unless there is a hack
    And it’s cheap :rolleyes:

4. Budget36

Budget36

Not a clue. Bought it at the time when my dad was running a lot of Al on his trucks. Seemed after buying it nothing cracked again!

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You need Argon gas. Spool gun is less hassle, but in a pinch I just stuck the Alum wire in place of the steel and went to town. After a few "birds and knots" I got the hang of it. Repeat, you need Argon gas!!

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It helps if you put a Teflon liner in your lead to lessen the bird nests!

7. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Trick with the aluminum is a Teflon liner and get a stiffer aluminum wire. Has worked great with my lincoln wire machine. No bird nests, hardly ever a problem period. Salesman at the Airgas dealer told me about it. Easier and way cheaper than a spool gun. And don't forget the argon.

8. Scott

Scott

Got it guys, Argon, teflon liner, an Al wire. good options and thanks for the help