Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's Chop 50FRAUD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jul 8, 2021.

1. v8flat44

v8flat44

Just terrible. Mainly cause I can't do anything that cool, or have that car.....GR8 job !!!!!!!!

loudbang and 50Fraud like this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What are you gonna call the car now ?

loudbang likes this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It'll always be 50Fraud. I'd never put back the '51 crap that I took off.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like both. Too bad the rarer Victoria had to be changed though.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Both of what? The '40 and the '51? The '51 Victoria isn't a rare car; they made 115,000 of them.

6. Looking good my friend !! Be ready for Canada next year???

PoTaToTrUcK and loudbang like this.
  7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't understand how I offended you. In my opinion the '51 Fords were over-decorated; I removed half the trim from the car and filled 50 holes in disguising my '51 as a '50. You didn't like my referring to the removed trim as crap? I didn't think anybody would take offense, except perhaps for some long-dead Ford designer.

PoTaToTrUcK, nobux, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

What's happening in Canada, Fuzzy?

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

To cut into a finished car takes alot of guts. You guys are doing a great job. But you know that already. In the response above. Maybe I`m not used to your bluntness as the way you speak.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  10. Hi, Don. Good to see you have a build thread again. It's off to a great start. Is the color on the car getting changed?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. Well, you two have sucked me in again with a well thought out approach to a couple of the best changes….the w/s fitting up into the top and the elimination of the filler pieces in the roof. Unfortunately it is getting harder to find good top donors. I think the wagon window worked out well with the slightly flatter glass. Well done….KISS rear her lovely head!

Stogy, Hnstray, Tman and 2 others like this.
  12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No, it will remain Polo Green. Since the day I chose that color circa 1995, I continue to love it every time I see it.

brEad, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was referring to the 51 Vic. I don't think I've ever ran across one, just a few 2 door sedans and one or two coupes. I like the Vic top, but I also like what you did with your design, it looks like a sleeker version of the coupe.

And I'm a big fan of 40 Fords. Except for a few that were over chopped or messed with in other ways. Ford got the design right with the 39 Deluxe and carried it into the 40.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Have you considered putting the 2 rear wider dividers back in the rear window?
    You have done a magnificent job.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, glad you like it. No, I like the one-piece window as is.

loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Boy ... another tough crowd!
    [​IMG]
    Phenomenal vision and beautiful execution by an incredibly talented team. Tony and Don, you two guys are amazing! ;)

OzMerc39, 41 GMC K-18, HEMI32 and 8 others like this.
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thank you, Ed!

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Tony, do you have extra stainless trim pieces that were on the body by the quarter windows.
    I see you have lengthened that area. I can get a couple pieces if you need to extend your originals.
    Convert and Vicky were different lengths. By about an inch or so.

Stogy, loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  19. I don't understand Ford's reasoning on the H.T. I assume they just took a convertible and slapped a hard top on it?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks. I was able to find an extra pair of the stainless pieces for the sill at the bottom of the quarter windows. Don will splice them to my original ones to create a longer than stock pair.

Stogy, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You're correct. Chevrolet introduced their BelAir hardtop in 1950. It was just the addition of a steel top and wraparound rear window to the convertible windshield, side windows, doors and deck. It sold well, around 75,000 models.
    Ford's original response was the Crestliner, which was just a 2-door sedan with a vinyl roof and some trim. It sold only modestly, so Ford management instructed Gordon Buehrig to copy the BelAir, making the Victoria from the Convertible sheet metal and glass. It was much more successful than the Crestliner, selling 115,000 in 1951.

Baumi, Stogy, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This post should be the HAMB highlight of the day. Very kool! Your pictures showing the attention to details will help a lot of other builders with their chop tops. You have a kool eye for kustoms, thanks for sharing.....

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I got the same response when I chopped mine and just because I removed the crappy wrap around rear glass they were telling me the same 10 years ago "now its not a Victoria". My response was the pink slip and dash says Victoria on it and its my car.
    Its a Victoria hard top bottom line.
    Carry on Don and I know you wont listen to the keyboard quarterbacks.
    The HAMB grew up years ago but some of the members did not and with that said this is a quality build and it will benefit the right folks that is all that matters.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't care if it looks like your specification for a Victoria. It's gonna look like my Victoria.

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Mark, I have received good advice from Don and from Rik Hoving regarding changes to my cars, but I have not received actionable advice from anybody else on the HAMB. No slur intended, many HAMBers have good ideas and a good sense of style, but I know what I'm doing and I don't need help from anyone who's not actually involved in the project.

26. Tony, I'm sorry I ever brought this up... :(

To all the critics, give the guy a break. As the man who built my 2nd favorite '40 Ford of all time (after the Matador), whatever he does will be well done and beautifully proportioned.

Dick Stevens, Stogy and 50Fraud like this.
  27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfection cannot be rushed!
    "Everything old, is new again"
    The craftsmanship displayed on this build and the well thought out evolution of what the desired result is, IMO, is simply MAGNIFICENT !
    Bravo gentlemen, for that excellent little addition of MOPAR metal to the roofline!

Stogy and 50Fraud like this.
  28. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

The profile of the finished product says it all. The roof line is fantastic. Turns the car from something that looks static into a vehicle in motion. WOW!!

29. The rear window adds to the 1950 era Victoria look.
    Everyone knows this was later morphed to the 1951 Victoria wrap around rear window that we are all familiar with.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Stogy and 50Fraud like this.
  30. Dang, I was skeptical at first, but you nailed it! No guts no glory.

Baumi, slim38, Stogy and 2 others like this.