Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hey Paint Guys, Help Needed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just a quick question. I'm finally about ready to paint an OT engine bay with the engine still there. Using acrylic urethane and tip size is 1.3-1.5. Re are two small areas that I don't think I can get my paint gun into so I'd thought it would be th eperfect time to use my "jamber" gun. However it's tip size is 1.0. So any advice regarding using it as the tip size is smaller than recommended?

Edit: I forgot how to change the title and I hate spelling mistakes (ex-English teacher)! Need advice here as well...LOL

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd try spraying with what you have first if the tip is infact to small reduce the paint up to ten percent more until you get what you want.

3. At top of thread OP should see "thread tools". The drop down will have a voice to edit title.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks Phil. Now the only suggestion so far is to reduce by 10% the paint in order to spray with thejamb gun. Not doubting but any other suggestions...?

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Any other advice?

6. BJR

BJR

I just change the pattern to a small round one, cut the pressure and the trigger pull down on my regular spray gun. Then you can shoot paint down around the engine where you normally can't get too. Just do some tests and be careful you don't run it.

7. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Not knowing what colour or having a pic, in situations like that, ive gotten away with brush painting that area to get colour over the primer, then spraying... the spray edge has disguised having done that so its not so noticeable... and youd haveto be standing on your head to see it... focal point is usually on the engine anyway..

i worked with a guy who used to use one of them small guns to do touchups, then always wonder why his blends and colours came out bad, then hadto redo them with the regular gun afterall. the small tip, different air pressure and extra thinning CAN mess with the colour (metallic and pearls) since itll never do anything the same as the big gun.

The extra thinning needed in your situation too with the little gun CAN give you a big hanger all the way down... hang ten, surfs up!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  8. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with BJR. Set the pattern to small round pattern and reduce the fluid trigger pull. Get the gun in there close and carefully shoot paint.

9. He said he can't get his gun into the area because it is too big. Changing the spray pattern is not going to change his ability to do that.

Fortunateson likes this.
  10. I have a painter buddy give me the following advice...he said "you want to apply the paint thick enough to run, then back off just a little..." and then he would smile.

No help for your specific issue but it gives you a bump.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Yes it will. Moving from a large fan pattern to a small circular pattern, bump up the air and use quick trigger pulses to blast some paint into the area.
    Same method as shooting into corners and overcoming faraday effect.

Rely on even coverage and paint flow out to level, but dont run it. :D

Other option is to use a small gun. I dont mix differently for small gun, adjust for good pattern, increase overlap, and reduce travel rate.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Correct ∆∆∆

indyjps likes this.