Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OMG Really???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, Jul 12, 2021.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

OMG Hillbilly Engineering! Just ran across an ad for a "427", doesn't look too bad until I came across this in the description- "The block never came with cross bolts mains so I put bolts in". Huh? So I search thru the pics, and it's obviously a marine Lake County 427.jpg block with the big cut through the oil gallery, and then the pic of the "bolts". Look carefully, looks like some "bolts" just screwed up against the sides of some stock main caps- there are no bolt bosses on those caps...

warbird1, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Gotta admit the fella got the holes lined up pretty well;)

Deuces, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Sad part is, I have an extra set of correct crossbolt caps on the shelf

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. Never occurred to me before, but if I ever come across a 427 for sale, I'll definitely pull the pan.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

But it's got the good bolts from the hardware store...

Deuces, 2OLD2FAST and loudbang like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

7. Not too crazy, there is a technique done on cylinders called "posting" that does similar. The import guys do it all the time. If Holman-Moody would have come up with this it would be followed like one of the ten commandments. Thankfully Ford made the side bolt caps

[​IMG]

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

How the heck does one install the bolts and feel comfortable that they've put the correct amount of pressure against the side of the caps, and not caused more harm than good?

jetnow1, Deuces, rockable and 2 others like this.
  9. Easy, tighten them til the engine won't turn then back off 1/8 turn. :D

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Well, if you're doing it for looks, it doesn't even need to touch, eh?

loudbang, Deuces, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  11. Might as well just epoxy some bolt heads to the block.

loudbang, Deuces, D-Russ and 3 others like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Well said. Now how do I get those 348/409 valve covers to look the part on my 350? ;)

loudbang, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Some really high end Super Stock (or just big) 427s get similar stuff done, but vertically to support the decks- boring thru the cylinders, install rods and then flanged cylinders. Kinda expensive

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  14. I got a buddy in Kansas that has a '65 427 medium rise post car (bought it new). he has tons of 427 parts other then blocks. Just for chits n giggles he JB welded some bolt heads onto a 428, and tells everyone that it is one of half a dozen 428 side oilers. It just sits on an engine stand in his shed. :eek::eek::eek::D

15. Back in the 80s I had a friend who raced 427 Ford Fairlanes, I won't mention his name. One day I stopped by his garage and he showed me a 390 that he installed 427 crossbolt mains on. I asked him how he drilled the block and he actually told me he used a hand drill. I moved to another town soon after that so I don't know how his engine ran.

loudbang likes this.
  16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

It used to get done a lot back when you could still get new blocks, if one got grenaded pretty good the caps would get saved when the block was tossed, used to be able to buy sets of crossbolt caps at the swaps for $50- price has gone up considerably, when you can find some- I only have one extra set right now. I wouldn't try the hand drill route, but the spot facing "should" be done square with the crank/caps, and if it's set up on the mill to spot face, the drilling could be done at the same time. Makes me wonder how he did the spot facing to get it square?
    There were a lot of "unconventional" thinkers playing with these engines from the 60's on, Carl Holbrook, "Crazy Nate" Cohen, and Ray Paquet, who is well into his 70's and still "The Man" rowing the 4spd in his Thunderbolt, 29 Indy Nationals wins. Holbrook's son Chris is still in business, and built a 440 ci 351W for my buddy's 66 Fairlane, single 4V on gas, 1065hp, runs 9 flat

supermotors008-67fair2ds-ss-c-natecohen.jpg