Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Surf Transportation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Surfmerc

Surfmerc

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-22_4-32-23.png

Hello,

If that truck is the original, it would be a nice catch. It just has the look of a cool shop truck parked in front of his shop in the South Bay area of So Cal. It would look nice sitting next to an original 9’6” Dale Velzy Balsa Wood Surfboard. I traded a set of original American Racing Equipment 5 spoke mags for the woody surfboard. At the time, people said it was not a good trade as the wheels cost cash and picking up from a jobber warehouse. But, they looked good on a new 1963 black Buick Riviera and I scored points.
    upload_2020-11-22_4-34-18.png A deck tailfin sticker on the original Velzy Surfboards.

The balsa wood board had the same sticker on it and now should be sitting somewhere in Santa Barbara on a wall. The sad thing was, it did not ride as stable as my newish 11’4” inch foam Phil Edwards model (#004) Hobie Surfboard. It was a good looking balsawood board, (no dings or scratches) but, it was considered a classic in 1962-63. I wanted the woody surfboard to be a coffee table, but I gave it to my brother for his house. Where is it today? Who knows, in a garage, storage facility, or on a wall of an apartment??? Today, the board is probably worth more than that set of American Racing Equipment 5 spoke mags.
    upload_2020-11-22_4-37-39.png Phil Edwards Model #004 custom fin

Jnaki
    Perhaps, it is difficult to compare an old design with the most radical design of the early 60s on So Cal coastal waves. But, for collectors, either item, the balsawood board or the original shop truck, are good items to have for reminders of the good old days of So Cal surfing.

It might be worth it to investigate, if it is an original shop truck from Dale Velzy.

D type and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. [​IMG]

In Florida there is surfing, but much more water skiing, so couldn't resist sharing this very cool picture
    Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

5. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-17_4-45-43.png
    Hello,

There are/were two styles of station wagons that get used for surf transportation. Mom and Dad’s family cruiser, or choose a cool style from the endless array of station wagons, from Chevy/Ford to all woodies. Most borrowed their family station wagon to haul the loads of friends. Other times, a place to sleep on long to longer road trips was necessary, so somehow, a low cost station wagon was purchased for daily use. A little more in cost was made up from the savings on sleeping in the back area, instead of motels.

We did not figure out this higher cost station wagon versus lower cost sleeping accommodations until we bought a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, and a low cost VW Van for my brother, in his recovery stage. But, prior to that, we had talked about getting a nice station wagon for our longer trips to Trestles, Santa Barbara, and Baja, Mexico.

The 58 Buick, big four door station wagon was one of the choices we made. It had space and power, the rear area was large enough to modify into a pull out sleeper/cooking area. The other was the 1957 Buick Station Wagon, but that might hit too close to home, as our dad had a nice 57 Buick, 2 door Roadmaster sedan for his daily driver.

Jnaki

The idea of surfboards inside the rear window opening was selected. But, for longer road trips North or South on the Westcoast of the USA, a set of racks clipped onto the drainage rails was called for to open up the huge area for traveling or roadside stops for naps. Yes, even teenagers needed naps, after a hard day riding countless waves. The one thing we wanted to do with our limited budget was to shave off the rear door handles. That way, it would look like a nice two door station wagon.
    upload_2020-12-17_4-48-31.png

Ron Funkhouser and Bob Lowry like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

10. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

11. coupeman

coupeman
    from Australia

12. Doheny Wood when it was at it's better location.........

IMG_0778.JPG

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-12_4-31-12.png
    1960 Jeep truck Reynolds Yater

Hello,

When we visited my brother’s workshop/garage in Santa Barbara, it was located right next door to the famous Reynolds Yater’s surf shop. Inside of the garage workshop, he had industrial opening push out windows.
    upload_2021-7-12_4-32-36.png
    Whenever we opened those windows facing Northwest, the smell of newly fixed resin came pouring inside of his garage workspace. It was nice and not so nice. The shop next door was a fixture in So Cal surf circles. My brother’s workspace garage was a nice construction for cars, motorcycles, a wall full of surfboards and custom made living quarters when it became a necessity.

But, the whiff of newly mixed resin is/was one for the books. It is a very distinct aroma, that will guarantee to stay with you for a long time. The smell is always associated with surfboards and the surf industry. (Plus the spraying of resin/fiberglass in the boating industry)

Jnaki

In the previous thread about “WHAT'S YOUR ODD ROD FOR THE BEACH?” there was mention of an FC jeep used for surfing adventures. We know (knew) first hand, how those Jeeps trucks can be on our coastal roads. The 4 x 4 drive line has its advantages and disadvantages in every situation.

Cyclone Kevin and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. wayne-o

wayne-o

Here's mine. 1953 Willys Wagon. 20210426_114548.jpg

15. Paul B

Paul B

My 51 Willys when i rescued it 108597329_10159964629262067_4637422831879816659_o.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and '28phonebooth like this.
  16. I don't like that Surfin Shit!
    upload_2021-7-12_18-39-28.jpeg

East Coast Guys!

Ron Funkhouser and chevy57dude like this.
  17. ^^^^Ha ha, Mark! We're just jealous:p^^^^[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2Blue2, cfmvw, 1oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  18. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Some where I still have that July 1963 edition of CAR CRAFT I bought as a kid.:)

19. I don’t see any surf boards in these photos. :rolleyes:

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's a pic of my friends 46! If you need a vintage surfboard, belly board, knee board or motorcycle pm for his number. [​IMG]

21. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

His number's on the truck, 805-489-6514.

51 mercules likes this.
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You're right.LOL!

23. I think the one on the right is Barbara Eden......

24. Paul B

Paul B

Ride the Wild surf Shelly Fabaraes in the middle Barbra eden on the right

51 mercules and 1oldtimer like this.
  25. Now I dream of more then Jeannie...........:). Gotta love re runs.....and sick days from school.

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Phil Sauer the former owner of my merc and supplied the surf board that movie. He owned Inland Surf shop in Downey and his boards were named Surfboards by Phil. He was also the surfing advisor for this movie and many other surfing movies.