Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Miller Reunion at the Milwaukee Mile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pprather, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Fordors

Fordors

DSCN3639.JPG
    Built for Gulf Oil to race at Indy in 1938 Miller's design was four cylinders and four wheel drive. The FWD made the cars look high and ungainly. DSCN3635.JPG
    The tubing on the top half served as the radiator with the bottom an oil cooler. The first time out the car overheated and Miller went to two ugly, externally side mounted radiator cores. DSCN3636.JPG
    Harry's brakes operated like a clutch disc and a pressure plate, a concept eventually used by Joe Milan on what became the Kinmont disc brake and Chrysler tried a similar brake on the 1950 Imperial.

quick85, Lepus, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  2. @Fordors , thanks for the photos and descriptions.

stanlow69 and The37Kid like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

DSCN3612.JPG
    Last but not least is my favorite of the whole event and it is still far from being finished. Bill Hoff has the utmost in dedication and is striving to complete this recreation of a 1923 Miller Gran Prix race car. I think a very few components were located but there was no frame or body and much is being scratch built.
    DSCN3611.JPG
    An original Miller 122 cu. in. eight is correct for the car.
    DSCN3621.JPG
    The grille shell and I believe the wire mesh insert are original to the wrecked car that provided the other components. DSCN3634.JPG
    Rules for the 1923 GP called for two liter engines and a riding mechanic, the aluminum body fabrication is beautiful. DSCN3617.JPG
    DSCN3618.JPG
    DSCN3615.JPG
    There are numerous bronze castings all beautifully done and finished to perfection.
    DSCN3620.JPG
    Miller transmission.
    DSCN3613.JPG DSCN3614.JPG
    There's a long way to go but what has been accomplished so far is phenomenal.

4. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I totally agree with you about being the favorite entry at the event. This car was unbelievable! The Craftsmanship was beyond just about anything I have seen, there were no marks on the hand made aluminum body panels inside or out, they were perfect.
    The owner mentioned the fabrication was done by “The Tin Element” https://tinelement.com/aluminum
    It would be a crime to paint this car but it will eventually be white. Seeing the level of detail and engineering on these vintage Indy cars is something everyone needs to experience.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx to all for the posts and to all who ran their cars.

pprather likes this.
  6. silent rick

silent rick

the gulf miller car spent a lot of time at gary bridge and iron. guffy has a gulf miller car also.

the two miller engines from them are the ones cass used to see in the junk yard when he was a kid. they eventually made their way to gary bridge but steve and his dad didn't know what to do with them, they were missing several key parts if i remember the story correctly. from there they went to indy i believe.

i love hanging out at that place, it's wall to wall offy stuff.

tractorguy and pprather like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a bit of MILLER history I never knew about Rick. What kind of junk yard would have had these engines?

DSCF9918.JPG DSCF9919.JPG DSCF9920.JPG

tractorguy likes this.
  8. Thanks for the pics and the one video. That is a piece of history brought back for us to enjoy. Way cool. :)

9. tractorguy

tractorguy

I TOTALLY agree......I kept coming back to just drool looking at this thing. There was a guy there with a "Tin Element" shirt on .......I think he was one of the fabricators. Bill Hoff was answering any and all questions about the car each time I went back........a big thanks to him for bringing it and allowing all of us to share in the beauty.

The37Kid and pprather like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

This looks like a really great project, could you get us up to speed on the history of the car? Is it the one with a side view in the Mark Dees book? My copy is around here some where. Bob

11. Speedblur101

Speedblur101

The 98 Roadster is, I think, a recreation of famous "Calhoun" owned by J. C. Agajanian and driven in 1962-1964 at Indy by Parnelli Jones. The car in the photos is in 1962 trim. There were minor changes in both 1963 and 1964. The IMS Museum has the 1963 winner and may have a second car from P. Jones collection which was claimed to be the actual "Calhoun" by someone who worked for Jones. I think I read about the car at Milwaukee when it was built which was sometime in the 1990's.

The 7 car, the Brightwood Airport Spl. was named for a small airport on the east side of Indianapolis. It has I-70 built over it today.

12. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, guys, for all the posts, photos and info! This is another event I think I'll have to add to that list I'm keeping...
    Always been something of a "casual fan" of the early oval track racers but developed a serious new appreciation after a recent visit to the Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed in Lincoln NE. https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/
    They have a full room dedicated to Harry Miller.
    This Miller reunion would sure be great to experience in person.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    tractorguy and pprather like this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

This.....this is the history every HAMB'r needs to know. I've been fortunate enough to work with one of the leading Miller historians on/off for the past 25 (!) or so years. Every car we worked on had some Miller influence ingrained within the build. Harry was a genius.

Tman and tractorguy like this.
  14. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Another highlight of the Miller event was this scale model Watson Indy car. The detail and workmanship was fantastic.
    337A7510-88B4-4BD9-91BB-A198398DB0AE.jpeg 78A6615D-C055-4C71-8DCB-19BD7CDD11FB.jpeg

15. 40 Olds

40 Olds

This is the placard that was with the car. I also went back to look at the car several times, the body work was something to see!

Attached Files:

tractorguy likes this.
  16. 40 Olds

40 Olds

The Gulf SPL also used a cartridge starter.

Attached Files:

Fordors and tractorguy like this.
  17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Great photos of great cars
    I need to make a point of going

18. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you for sharing. Some incredible cars for sure. Love those laid down Offy's. The race cars on Friday @ Hershey is one of my favorite events of the show.

Some day I'll get to the Miller event.

19. killbilly

killbilly

The Gulf Miller cars were only rear wheel drive...not FWD....I have pictures of them disassembled at Steve Truchans shop for restoration....they have a transaxle

20. tractorguy

tractorguy

If you have a pulse......the Speedway Motors Museum WILL turn you into an avid fan of oval track racers !!