Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Man, I am burned smooth out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 8, 2021.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hot rodding dose in deed tie all my racing together,even down to many of those who help on a number of racing endeavors.
    Aero was a early fun part of learning. My Dad in WW2 in the Navy,worked on the BELL XP77,so talk about aero in all things was of interest. Built model airplanes,kits and learn to sail n win my first sail boat race @ 11yo.
    My first book I got about how air flow works >I highly recommend came out in 1949.
    "Theory Of Wing Sections", I got a used one,but it has been reprint an still maybe the best ever. Applies to water flow also.
    For racecars alot!.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I sometimes get to the point of serious burnout, 12.75 hour shift work 2 days followed by 2 nights.
    Days off and I feel like I been on a jag.
    Getting older 60, retiring soon someday, work in progress 55 Fargo needs a lot of "things", not a whole lot gettin done either time and money not a lot of both.
    I knew I was in trouble last week, out for a cruise and was hating it.
    It wasn't any fun, tons of 2 lane traffic, no shortage of idiots makes me paranoid.
    Cut the drive short and went home.
    Even my truck looked like a piece of crap to me.
    All classic "burn out" hit the wall symptoms. Gotta step back, maybe a new project which is quickly kiboshed. Nope that's not the answer either, as mine still needs a lot of work.
    So here I am, as you RH needing a "time out," 1 door closes the other opens.
    This too shall pass, it always goes, in spite of my present feelings....

3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Used to approach projects like I was killing snakes. After retirement, have learned that those projects don't care how often or how hard they're worked on. I'm also a volunteer now which is quality time for me and helps balance the time I spend working on my coupe and other things. Takes a little longer completing jobs but also gives me a breather from them.
    Think you have the right idea.....take some time off and enjoy other pursuits for a while. Then you can reassess and ease back in at a slower pace.
    Come out to Colorado for a couple of weeks, relax and cool off. Pick up a fly rod and wet a line.....I guarantee it will reinvigorate you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  4. This one!!

Ben

57JoeFoMoPar and Roothawg like this.
  5. Nice ride!

Ben

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Stop building for a while... just cruise... get zen with the road... eat a lot of peaches.

Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

You'll be fine, most of us CarNuts experience burn out, part of the game/life. Sounds like you've been hard at it building, now go Cruisin, Enjoy. ! Caution ! these bouts of burn out happen more frequently as you age @ 73 I'm to the point of Cruisin, Enjoying the hobby is all that's I'm interested in. 1 last project (family racer restoration) in process of doing my last DYI home project, I'm done with working on stuff, been saying this for several years now, I really mean it this time. LOL

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm in my 70's and kind of the same way, finished my 30 V8 A except the interior and taking a break. Still looking for a project to keep me busy but nothing really trips my trigger, can't say I'm done but not much interest.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Patience grasshopper. I have a full shop of customers projects to do. With lots waiting to get in. So Friday I hopped in the truck and drove over 250 miles to The I - 80 Truck Stop(world`s largest) for their Truckers Jamboree. Went thru their museum as well. Always wanted to go. Picked a two lane highway and headed home. Took a bit longer but was worth it.

11. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 7 years ago I bought a pretty high-end touring bike. It has paddle shifters! Compared to my old bike it's like a two-wheeled Corvette; it put the fun back in riding. I'm sure you'll start looking forward to riding yours too, and will enjoy watching the world go by a little more slowly.
    Nothing wrong with taking a break from the garage life. I've been doing that off-and-on for about the last 10 years and I have an unfinished car to prove it!

12. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I agree with the road trip. Take one of the finished cars for a nice long road trip, mainly back roads and visit the sites of America you have always wanted to see. The trip will be fun, car will get thumbs up and pictures at every stop and you will have a trip of a lifetime. Hit all local eateries and no chain restaurants and just enjoy life. Pick the most reliable one and hit the road. It give s you a break from building and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

AHotRod, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  13. @Roothawg , I am at the refreshed stage myself now. After taking several years playing with Timmy on the Salt and my son growing up a standout in two sports, among life, I have been on self imposed exile. Just getting back to where I have the time and desire to hit the projects hard again. A break is always a good thing!

Thor1, Roothawg and Joe Blow like this.
  14. Malibu406

Malibu406

I have 4 prorcts not doe…3 girls there not done either…a wife which is a never ending proect…3 dirt bike projects..a job…garden…and coach highschool softball. Burn out is a way I life I have come to believe and actual start to excel as pressure mounts. So we all deal with it differently. Me, I do more when Im burning out to keep from stopping. Oh and yes, I aient right. LOL

15. Ball consumes a ton of time. Thank God my son will be driving next summer since he is moving up to American Legion. BB is a religion out here.

16. I have spent many nights there. Fantastic place. The original had more character.

Ben

Thor1, Roothawg and stanlow69 like this.
  17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Announcing the final presentation of my semiannual Going Out Of Business sales event. Check out my classified listings for incredible close out deals on giant hot rod inventory. Everything must go. Let’s make a deal. Financing available (from your local source) for those who qualify. No reasonable offer refused. Bring your truck and trailer. Free smiles and balloons for the kids. Live music available upon request. Limited time offer. Call now.

chryslerfan55, lippy and Thor1 like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It should be on everybody`s bucket list to go to the Worlds Largest truck stop. Kinda like going to Buc-ee`s in Texas. My daughter loves that place. But she liked going to the I-80 truckstop as well.
    Somehow e side tracked pretty easily on The H A M B . We get side tracked working on cars too.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  19. X-cpe

X-cpe

Two edged sword. Relieved from chauffer duty. Worried about them being out there.

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Got necked um…for a side show? Take a check drawn off a 3rd country account?

Worth a shot.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  21. Not at all worried, kid is wise beyond his years and has seat time racing already.

Thor1, Roothawg and X-cpe like this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

Even so, as a parent you'll still have some apprehension the first few times because you can't control the idiots out there that are aimed aimed at him. It goes away.

chryslerfan55, Roothawg and Thor1 like this.
  23. timeflies

timeflies
    from Guthrie OK

Haven’t gotten to where you are...will be 80 on 4 September...in anticipation of what you’re experiencing I’ve been moving to vintage motorcycles. Much less demanding...take up much less space and time as well. Must keep our minds engaged... later.

Budget36, lippy, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  24. I feel ya, and I haven't done nearly what you have. We just took the kids to Iowa to see family and attend GoodGuys Des Moines. While it was centered around a car event, I remembered how I love a good old fashioned road trip. We didn't use any phone maps and bought a new Rand McNally and showed the kids how to use it. They really got into it. We stopped frequently at roadside attractions, Amish furniture stores and things of interest, and really enjoyed the scenery. We stayed at a restored 1920s hotel in Wichita coming and going that had some great ambiance, not like a boring Super 8 or something. No screens in the truck, just music, The Chronicles of Narnia audiobooks and the license plate game. It really was refreshing. The Goodguys event was fun but it was not the highlight of the trip.

Perhaps you need to hook up the travel trailer and hit the road.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

We are leaning towards another New England fall foliage tour with our vintage camper.

26. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Man, I have been wanting a vintage camper myself to do such things...

I suffer the same burnout man, I'm 5 cars in 3 years here. So I get it... Some days I just turn it all off, no thinking of what needs to be done, no parts ordering etc... Its not the end, just a transition in life... I ride a few miles a morning on a bike with the wife... Good way to start the day... But get out, do some living instead of building...

27. Root I get it totally. When we got moved in here summer before last I was burnt out on everything. I never even set my tool box back up so I just did the minimum to get by. I am just now getting back into make it fly mode.

Just hang back and give it a minute, the urge will get you again.

chryslerfan55, mrspeedyt, Tim and 4 others like this.
  28. My in-laws went to Portland, Maine last fall. They raved about it and have already booked another trip in September.

29. indyjps

indyjps

When I get burnt out, I walk away from my stuff and go help friends or family out.
    Hang out and catch up. Spend a day working on someone elses stuff - then leave. No concern over the final completion, timeline, finances etc.

30. Chris, you just need to grow a big handlebar mustache. That will solve everything. ;-)

Roothawg, Tman, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.